Best cocktail shaker

heatmiser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have had a few mediocre cocktail shakers over the years and finally stepped up and bought a really nice one. It made by WMF and is called the Manhattan. I received it in the mail last week and love it. Highly recommended!!!

I looked it up, that's a nice looking shaker. Probably a nice unit for most people.

Having been a bartender for years (and a fan of the movie Cocktail ) I must say there is a certain something about using the bar shaker/glass combo as well as a separate strainer (or even better-using the glass as the strainer). The dexterity and showmanship involved in using a multi-piece apparatus is kinda fun.

I looked it up, that's a nice looking shaker. Probably a nice unit for most people.

Having been a bartender for years (and a fan of the movie Cocktail ) I must say there is a certain something about using the bar shaker/glass combo as well as a separate strainer (or even better-using the glass as the strainer). The dexterity and showmanship involved in using a multi-piece apparatus is kinda fun.

A Boston Shaker vs a Hawthorne strainer. I agree Tim, I always go for the Boston Shaker.

I have a nice stainless steel shaker. Don't know who made it. The bottom half makes a dandy portable whiskey 'glass.' The top keeps random lint from getting into it in my knapsack, too. Great for campouts and such.

Ed

I thought about a Boston shaker as well but have always used the mulit-piece shakers. I always figured it would be more difficult to clean that wired strainer in a Boston shaker...

• 2 weeks later...

After bartending for a number of years I found the best shaker to be the one that doesn't leak on you. It was always a hit or miss proposition. Keep trying a new one until it worked right. Much easier when the bar had quite a few.

Jeff Mo.

• 1 month later...

Sacrilege! Alcohol-only drinks should be stirred, not shaken! (Insert preferred smiley here....)

Especially Manhattans (and Martinis).

However, I like the Boston Shaker for most of my needs when shaking drinks

for the reason mentioned above (looks cool pouring drinks).

I have an inexpensive cocktail shaker, though, for the people who insist on my shaking Martinis for them (hereafter referred to as "Heathens").

:grin:

(That WMF shaker is pretty. Nice lines and the brushed look is cool.)

Several years ago there was a NY Times article about the desirability of silver shakers. According to the paper of record, bartender savants travel with their own sterling shakers as they feel it is the most neutral of metals, imparting no flavors to the cocktail. Seems like good plate should work just as well.

Other afficionados swear by heavy glass as best for holding cold temps. In most serious cocktail bars around here, the Boston shaker is de rigeur. But if you look at internet videos of Japanese bartenders (artists indeed), they are all using cobbler shakers.

Shaking for cocktails with juice, dairy or eggs. Stirring for all others.

Julep strainer when pouring from glass. Hawthorne strainer when pouring from metal.

All that said, I've had some mighty fine cocktails from a Mason jar, strained with the metal lid. Mix with conviction and you'll rarely get a complaint.

Derby Day approacheth.

-Mike

as an amateur mixologist (how's that for pretentious?), i prefer the boston shaker... i like being able to see the ingredients as they are going into the glass

• 2 weeks later...

Silver? Yeah it chills faster but its expensive.I judge the metal ones on weight.Heavier it is the better it stays cold. (Yeah, I know and the heavier and more strain over the evening but I don't mix that many.) Too many of the new ones are too light. 18 gauge steel is nothing to brag about.

Personally I like the old Farber Kromekrafts,good chrome or steel, about twice the weight of a comparably sized new one. Napier had terrible plating and are lighter but had some interesting designs (including the on that had a built in strainer/pour on the bottom and the glass/cup on top and a dial to say what the drink was. At the other end of the spectrum Ikea also makes a Boston with a inert rubber seal for the amateurs to play for both seal and cheap replacement cost.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.