Value Bourbons

Henry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The last few nights I've been sampling some VS Old Fitz. Very nice indeed, but not quite as rich and delicious as I remember it being the last time I tried a bottle (about a year ago). Maybe it's me. Anyway, last night I compared the VSOF to some Weller SR and guess what? I prefer the Weller. Apples, spice, sweeter than the Fitz and half the price. Thanks to Mike Veach for praising this stuff.

It got me thinking what a great value bourbon is compared to single malt scotch. Right now, besides the Weller and Fitz, I've got bottles of Russell's Reserve, EC 12, EWSB and KC. Got them all for $20 or less. Of course, I've also got a bottle of Blanton's which is delicious, but twice as good as the others?

Hello Henry

whats the # on the bottle? it makes all the difference in the world. in the lower r/h corner it should have the # 16 and if not then its a H-H product or so i believe. life is good-den.

Henry,

I agree with what you're saying. Currently, my favorite value bourbons are EC 12, Old Forester 100 (which I'm drinking, right now), and Wild Turkey 101.

Of course, I prefer Woodford to the OF and Rare Breed to the WT, but I repeat your question, "At twice the money?". I actually prefer the EC 12 to the EWSB, but maybe I'm just fooling myself.

At any rate, some of the very reasonably priced bourbons are actually quite excellent.

But, I still want a bottle of Blanton for Christmas.

Cheers, Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Henry it's good to see you back on the forum!

Sometime last year I also bought a bottle of VSOF and was quite dissappointed. It was very harsh in the finish and bitter in the taste. It was the old 'Bourbon Heritage Collection' stock. I won't ever be bothered to buy another bottle. The bottle of Old Fitz BIB that I purchsed in KY this past Sept is quite good. It's old DSP-16 (Stitzel-Weller) stock that is bottled by Heaven Hill (DSP-31), and it is a very good value as I recall - something like $20 for a 1.75 liter bottle at the Liquor Outlet/Party Source in Louisville.

'Value' means something a bit different to just about everybody. For shear bourbon goodness/price it is impossible to beat 1.75 liter bottles of your favorites when they are on sale. This month EC12 is $27, and Jim Beam Black is $26. You just can't beat that for value copmared to regular pricing.

The best values in the single barrels are Evan Williams 10 year old - now on sale for $17 in VA, but $21 reg. Elmer T. Lee is a great value for the such a fine bourbon. $26 in KY. Unavailable in VA.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Henry- I think you are right about Old Fitzgerald. It is not bad but it is not that good either. I have been trying some bargain bourbons lately and some I don't like at all, but there is one from Heaven Hill called Heaven Hill Ten year old . This is not the single barrel - this baby comes with a cream white label and is bottled in bond. This particular bourbon absolutely had to be made to mix with Schwepps Ginger Ale and it is delicious. Even neat or on the rocks you are in for a treat. The best part of all - are you ready for this?- $9.79. I have paid $40 & $50 a bottle for bourbon that was not as good as this!

Cheers,

Marvin

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tim please allow me to butt in here - there is a camphor/medicinal taste component in Elijah Craig (also J.W. Dant) that some people really like that the Evan Williams Single Barrels just don't have. If you like EC12 better than EWSB then you are in luck. For you (in this case) cheaper is better! Happy Day! smile.gif

Linn Spencer

Hors concours from over here (i.e. Europe) : JB Black Label, Maker's Mark Red Seal. Both are delicious (IMHO...) and affordable, although still quite expensive compared to the prices mentioned in this thread. You definitely wouldn't mix/ruin these whiskies with Coke or Ginger Ale (or whatever...) here wink.gif

Best,

Ekki

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid my judgment of my current bottle of VSOF was a bit premature. I'm about half-way through and am finding it richer and deeper than I first thought. I love Weller Special Reserve (especially for the price) but VSOF is one of my top favorites.

Speaking of favorites: more and more I'm finding that Russell's Reserve just about tops my list. It's maybe the thickest, most mouth-coating, most full-flavored bourbon I've had (after Van Winkle 15). Intense flavors of honey, oak, caramel and fruit that linger and linger. Time to buy another bottle of Van Winkle 15 for a head-to-head!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

So Henry I see you've discovered the many charms of Russell's Reserve. It sells in the same price range as Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select so the competition is there hot and heavy. That's a good thing as we are all winners here. I always keep a bottle of all three open and at least another one of each sealed in a backup status. They are all just that damn good. While the twenty-five to thrity dollar price range isn't in what I would call the 'value' area, they are instead 'valuable bourbons'.

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.