Best QPR, Worst QPR

johnrobe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

<html>Which bourbons/whiskeys get your vote for best quality-price ratio and which have the worst?

Here's my list...

Best QPR:

Evan Williams Single Barrel (recent vintages)

Old Forester

Very Old Barton 90 proof

George Dickel No. 12

Van Winkle Ryes (12 & 13 y.o.)

Worst QPR:

Jack Daniel's Old No. 7

Maker's Mark

Old Potrero

And although I've never tried Distiller's Masterpiece I have a hard time believing any whiskey is worth the price it commands.

JR</html>

Best QPR under $20 local:

Old Grand-dad Bottled in Bond

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rye

Elmer T. Lee

Elijah Craig 12 year

W.L. Weller 12 year

Knob Creek

Van Winkle 10 year

Dickel No. 12

Evan Williams 7 year

Best QPR over $20 local

WT Russell's Reserve

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Worst QPR:

Old Crow

McCormicks (let me point out that it's no longer made at the Weston distillery, and while it wasn't 'good' in the past, it's far, far worse now.)

Jack Daniels

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

JR,

I've found that the best value is getting 1.75 liter bottles 'on sale'.

For example this month in the Virginia ABC stores the following 1.75l bottles are 'on sale':

1) Elijah Craig 12 year old - $27

2) Jim Beam Black Label - $26

3) Old Forester - $20

Also I was able to pick up a 1.75l bottle of Very Old Barton BIB in Kentucky for $16. Actually I picked up four of them.

Quality is a subjective deduction where price is emperically objective.

I would also add Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old, and when it's 'on sale' it is $21 per 1.75l.

The list above are all solidly good & hearty quality everyday drinkers. Excellent quality at great prices. For a hundred dollars or so you can have four nice big bottles of first class bourbon that will keep you happy all month.

Single barrels and small batchers deserve their own nich. Remember its subjective + objective rahter than either - or.. What you precieve as a quality bourbon vs. what you are either willing or able to pay for it.

There are quite a few brands that don't make the grade - neither with my tastebuds, nor in my pocketbook.

1) Makers Mark - Too expensive - not to mention that it tastes bad.

2) Jack Daniels - Too expensive.

3) Jefferson's Reserve 15 year old - It's not bad, but at $50 it's just too expensive.

4) Ezra Brooks 15 year old single barrel - too old & too expensive. A real shame too as this was once superb bourbon. They just let it go too long in the wood.

5) Old PoleKat - Way too expensive and tastes terrible! If Fritz Maytag can't make a better rye than this he really needs some professional help.

Distiller's Masterpiece deserves it's own spotlight. I've seen the bottle - very pretty - but never had any. Same thing with Cindy Crawford - very pretty, but I've never had any. Somehow I think Cindy would be the better tasting of the two, but the quality-to-price ratio would be asstromomical!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn,

Yeah, there's subjectivity and that's why I want to see other peoples' lists. For example, I think the QPR for Stephanie Seymour is higher than Cindy Crawford. Stephanie doesn't have quite the same media exposure...plus it's virtually assured that she'd already be wearing some Victoria's Secret underwear.

JR

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's a very astute observation JR. A woman wearing Victoria's Secret undergarments would have a higher underlying QPR than if she were wearing Hanes 'Her Way'. As long as the emotional cost is identical then the quality portion of the ratio would ZOOM!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Ya better take note on your Evan Williams 7 year bottles. The new label will be Evan Williams 7 year 86 proof instead of the 90 proof. The 90 proof will no longer exsist after we use all of the old labels.

boone

The Evan Williams ad slogan has been, "There's More To It." Maybe the new version will be, "Less Is More."

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Hi Chuck,

The glass 1.75 handle is one of my lines. As of last night we are now on the 86 proof.

boone

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.