BOTM, 6/07: Jim Beam Black

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Simply giving up the diet coke (and all soft drinks) would likely be much healthier that having a nightcap of bourbon every night.

There is no way having a pour every night is going to make up for a lifetime of cracklins, boudin, and fried oyster po boys.

Whiskey is about enjoying life in the now.

I had my first taste of JBB the other night. My first impression is it was rather bland in the finish much like Maker's Mark. Welcome aboard Eggman. You might want to try a differnt bottle/brand of whiskey. Something ETL would be my choice as it is a very sweet bourbon. Also tiny sips.

• 1 month later...
Man, you really need to broaden your horizons.:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

Care to give him some examples of one you like better at the same or lower price?

I will - Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. Or even Old Taylor, almost as good and way cheaper.

Since that was SteveCole78's first post, we just have to hope he sticks around to see how we're pushing him to the same addiction everyone else here has developed!

Well, for someone to go "hands down" on thier first post...might be a clue to my madness.

And the answere to your question is called, a "Profile".

Hidden
Well, for someone to go "hands down" on thier first post...might be a clue to my madness.

\QUOTE]

That is precisely why it is our duty to educate

Which is also the primary reason for us to continue to educate

Since that was SteveCole78's first post, we just have to hope he sticks around to see how we're pushing him to the same addiction everyone else here has developed!...Which is also the primary reason for us to continue to educate

Miller,

Maybe the reason you come to this website is different from mine. I am not here to push and teach people to do things my way. I have spent alot of time researching others profiles and comments to figure out what I might be interested in. Then I went out and tasted many of these bottles. For a newbie to lose out on that experience seems like a big waste of time.

I see many posts that request opinions on bottles....I say try the search button, read a profile or two, maybe get together with some friends to do a tasteing. Just don't expect me to be your daddy and hold your hand the whole way. This is a fun process that everyone should embrace....hunting for dusties, developing a pallet and broadoning your horizons.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy that new people come here for information. Just navigate the site, try something new and then develope an opinion. Not the other way around.

Man, you really need to broaden your horizons.:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

:shocked: I didn't say it was my favorite bourbon. But for the price it's pretty darn good. Personally, I stock-pile Basil Hayden's Small Batch Bourbon.

Care to give him some examples of one you like better at the same or lower price?

I will - Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. Or even Old Taylor, almost as good and way cheaper.

Since that was SteveCole78's first post, we just have to hope he sticks around to see how we're pushing him to the same addiction everyone else here has developed!

Hey guys! I am still here. I thought we were discussing best bourbon for the best price. Personally I think Jim Beam Black is FANTASTIC for the price. it's not what I buy as I don't cut costs when it comes to bourbon...but I was reading what everyone else had to say and felt confident in what I wrote. Currently I'm lovin' Basil Hayden's Small Batch. It's smooth, has an awesome flavor and a perfect finish. Yes, I agree I am new to the site but I know what I love.

unfortunately it's not available at all of the bars i frequent. So I'm quick to call out Maker's Mark. it's readily available, reasonably priced, and still a great bourbon!

Miller,

Maybe the reason you come to this website is different from mine. I am not here to push and teach people to do things my way. I have spent alot of time researching others profiles and comments to figure out what I might be interested in. Then I went out and tasted many of these bottles. For a newbie to lose out on that experience seems like a big waste of time.

I see many posts that request opinions on bottles....I say try the search button, read a profile or two, maybe get together with some friends to do a tasteing. Just don't expect me to be your daddy and hold your hand the whole way. This is a fun process that everyone should embrace....hunting for dusties, developing a pallet and broadoning your horizons.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy that new people come here for information. Just navigate the site, try something new and then develope an opinion. Not the other way around.

I am not going anywhere. And i stand by what I said.

I enjoy hearing other's opinions and that's the beauty in a site like this...it's all personal opinions. I'll be toasting my small batch to you tonight mozilla, or perhaps I'll go get a bottle of Jim Beam Black to toast you to. :cool:

Miller,

Care to help me out? Don't hate...educate! I still haven't read what you thought the best bourbon is for it's price. Did I over look it?

To all,

I refer you to New to Straight Bourbon: Bourbon Recommendations.

I would put the worst bourbon one my list up against Beam black, anyday.

...I would put the worst bourbon one my list up against Beam black, anyday.

Well, I don't know nothin' about bourbon, but I always keep JBB on-hand, because it's a great mixer and is also acceptable neat. At c. $20, that's not all that common.

And, of course, the 'worst' bourbon on my recommendation list IS JBB!

I can think of a number of bourbons under $20 I would buy first. First and foremost, Weller 107 which tastes better IME and offers a considerable proof advantage (i.e., more whiskey for the money after dilution to, say 86 proof). Heaven Hill bonded (regular or green label 6 years) offers a better taste IMO, so does Very Old Barton. True, these are regional names, but one can stock up after a visit to bourbon country. VOB is almost half the price as I recall to Beam Black. Beam Black is good whiskey but a number here find its anise-like aftertaste not to their liking. Of course, taste is personal, but these are just some ideas. Also, I should mention bonded Rittenhouse rye, which is really a bourbon by another name (in that rye is the flip side to bourbon, both are the same thing in different intensities of the rye taste) and is a superb value. Not sure what Ancient Age 10 Star is going for these days. And how can I forget Evan Williams, no longer marked 7 years but still an excellent dram. Maybe I just have the taste for the mid- to lower-range HH products but to me they represent an old tradition of excellent quality country whiskey, as does VOB. In the Beam line, I like Knob Creek but the others seem of a piece in the anise-like character which is one I find hard to like.

Gary

... Personally, I stock-pile Basil Hayden's Small Batch Bourbon.
...unfortunately it's not available at all of the bars i frequent. So I'm quick to call out Maker's Mark. it's readily available, reasonably priced, and still a great bourbon!

A couple points. Basil Hayden is selected barrels of Old Granddad bottled at 80 proof. If you like it you might well like Old Granddad BIB (bottled in bond) better, 100 proof, more whiskey less water equals more flavor. Ditto for OGD 114. If you like Maker Mark you'll most likely love Weller Antique 107 or perhaps Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. More whiskey less water. All three are what are called wheaters, that is they are made with wheat instead of rye.

I agree with the poster who said you should broaden your horizons. Any recommendations we would give you would, in most cases, be based on what we already know you like. No one wants to insult your choices. JBB is an OK bourbon, but in all honesty it isn't the be all end all, and neither is Makers. Incidentally if you really dig on JBB, if you haven't already, give Booker's a try. I think you will like it.

I like Jim Beam Black a lot. It probably is the best value in the Jim Beam portfolio. A case can be made for Old Grand-Dad BIB, but that's a completely different taste profile. Of the various expressions of the Jim Beam formula, Black Label is easily the best value.

But for the best value in a bourbon, period, I would go first with Weller Special Reserve, Weller Antique or Weller 12, Elijah Craig 12, certainly Very Old Barton BIB which, admittedly, requires a trip to Kentucky, and probably a couple of other things.

But I have nothing but good things to say about Jim Beam Black and it has been a favorite of mine for years. Its wide availability is a big plus.

I will say this to stevecole78, by way of a possible explanation for some of the posts he's gotten in response to his posts in this thread. All of the products you have mentioned favorably are owned by Beam Global Spirits & Wine. From time to time, online discussion groups like this one are visited by touts for some company or another who pose as ordinary consumers and talk up their company's products. We don't mind producer representatives here. We welcome them, but it's good practice to be straight and identify your vested interest. I'm not accusing you of anything, just pointing out why some people may seem a little bit skeptical about your enthusiasm for the products of just one producer.

I can think of a number of bourbons under $20 I would buy first. First and foremost, Weller 107 which tastes better IM[O] and offers a considerable proof advantage (i.e., more whiskey for the money after dilution to, say 86 proof)....Gary
I like Jim Beam Black a lot. It probably is the best value in the Jim Beam portfolio...But for the best value in a bourbon, period, I would go first with Weller Special Reserve, Weller Antique or Weller 12,..But I have nothing but good things to say about Jim Beam Black and it has been a favorite of mine for years...

The vicissitudes of pricing are such that Jim Beam Black and Weller Antique 107 cost almost exactly the same thing in my part of the the world. I'd point out that the duo are my 'basic' recommendations (actually, the Wellers, generally) for 'rye' and 'wheat', respectively, in my profile.

So I'm at a soccer match Saturday evening and as we're entering the stadium, a young woman sticks a bag under my nose and says "free candy."

I don't know about the rest of you, but presented with an open bag and the words "free candy," I still reach in and take one automatically, without hesitation. What I got makes me wonder what else I've been missing. It was a "tamarind flavored soft candy." The "candy" is a paste that is pushed up through a plastic grating, from which it is licked, a whole candy delivery system that is new to me--a dispenser.

It tastes like tamarind, which I know from Chinese food. It was sweet and fruity, plum-like, with a sharp, peppery bite. I didn't care for it.

Today I thought of that candy as I drank some Jim Beam Black, but I don't mean that to sound unflattering. Jim Beam is distinctive for being a very clean spirit, but it still tastes green in the white label incarnation. In the black, all of that greenness is gone. Instead I get plummy sweetness and vanilla, similar to the tamarind candy except without the parts I didn't like.

Chuck,

I finally got around to picking up some tamarind candy at my local Asian supermarket, a soft candy similar (probably) to what you had. Indeed there is something Beam blackish about it, and in a way it reminds me of OT from National Distillers (also very plummy). I also bought some tamarind juice at a Hispanic grocer which I plan on using in an experimental whiskey sour, per a post in the "Whiskey Sour-ing" thread.

I find ethnic groceries inspiring as sources for new foods to cook and taste (obviously), but also as sources of new and interesting candies, cocktail ingredients, and taste bud touchstones for tasting whiskey, beer, rum, etc. As you said, I always wonder what else I am missing. I like to have a lot of taste referents for anything I consume.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

:shocked: I didn't say it was my favorite bourbon. But for the price it's pretty darn good. Personally, I stock-pile Basil Hayden's Small Batch Bourbon.

What a coincidence! I just did a face-off tonight, alternating sips of JBB & BH w/branch in between. I also think of JBB as my "reference" bourbon, although I do not detect a hint of vanilla as others do, I just think it has a blah finish. BH, on the other hand, is the "scotchiest" of the bourbons I've tried, though I find its body a bit weak.

JBB is quite cheap here in Montgomery County, Md., as I picked up a 1-liter bottle for under $17. I'll keep it for mixers, as I keep BH for those who would otherwise drink scotch. For sippin' purposes, however, Jim Beam Black is just too dull.

Gotta say guys, Jim Beam black is one of the few beam bourbons I like. Its not bad for a no nonsense sipping.

Howdy,

Having tried JBW, JBB and some WT101 for my nightcaps for the last two months, I'd have to rank 'em as follows:

1. Jim Beam Black by a razor over WT101. A virtual tie.

2. WT101. A good, stout poor. Sends me to bed with a buzz.

3. JBW. Cheap, but rough around the edges. Not quite as smooth as JBB.

Eggman

PS: Of course, I always have 1.5-2.0 oz. of bourbon w/ Diet coke on ice. I've sipped my Bourbon "neat", but really can't stand it that way. YMMV, and surely will.

• 4 weeks later...
I've always said it's an 86 proof version of Booker's more than it resembles Knob Creek.

Actually, I haven't always said that. I used to say it was 90 proof version of Booker's.

Crazy. I was reading through this thread before I posted anything, but I was going to say the same thing. Booker's is my favorite, and JBB for me is the affordable version with the punches pulled. When I envision a standard, "Platonic" Bourbon, I think of JBB. Goes great with chocolate chip cookies, too.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!