Maple-Bourbon Ice Cream

Aged In Oak
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since it's the middle of summer, I thought an ice cream recipe might be in order. Picked up some good ones searching the forum, but also thought I'd share this one that I found for maple-bourbon ice cream here...

4 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons bourbon

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Place a large bowl in freezer. Let ice cream stand at room temperature 45 minutes or until softened. With a rubber spatula or stand mixer, combine the softened ice cream, maple syrup, bourbon, and cinnamon in chilled bowl. Cover and freeze to desired consistency.

Looks pretty simple and easy, especially since you can use store-bought ice cream as the base. I have to say that 2 tbsp. of bourbon seems a paltry amount for 4 cups of ice cream, but maybe I'll be surprised. Hope to try it out this weekend, and I'll be sure to report the results!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can deal with not having extra booziness, you can get a better consistency in your product by dealcoholizing the bourbon. Put some bourbon in a pot (double the volume to account for alcohol loss), heat over medium-low heat, and light with a match. You'll get tall flames, but they won't be that hot. When the flames die, increase the heat a bit and light again. When you can't get a flame to go, pretty much all the alcohol is gone (note to bakers--this is the only way to ensure that all the alcohol is gone--adding raw bourbon to cookies or whatnot will usually result in 20-40% of the original alcohol remaining in). Concentrated bourbon flavor, and no alcohol to screw with texture. Have a glass of the same alongside!

Note that if you only need 2Tbsp for this recipe, that you should probably dealc more (so you don't get scorching or need to use a miniscule pot). But you can save it in the fridge basically indefinitely. Make some into a thick syrup to add to creme anglaise or other desserty sauces if you wish.

• 9 months later...

I made this with Eagle Rare tonight - very tasty! I forgot the cinnamon, but will remember next time. Definitely worth trying!

Angel

Wow - that sounds really tasty. It's winter here, but I think I might just try it this weekend.

Cam, not to worry about the season! Ice cream is good any time and well, Bourbon to me is not seasonal!

I may have to try this with a nice big helping of Butter peacan this weekend as well!

Thanks for the recipe Angel and welcome to SB.com.

AC

Only one thing I would change no low fat Ice Cream go for it with regular! Sounds awesome!!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

=========================================

Only one thing I would change no low fat Ice Cream go for it with regular! Sounds awesome!!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

=========================================

Oh absolutely - I used Breyer's Vanilla Bean (regular, full fat), and it really was awesome.

I think the bourbon-maple sauce would probably also be really good over a big fluffy Belgian waffle.

Angel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.