2007 Pittsburgh Whiskey Fest

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got this press release today and thought it looked like something folks here, or at least anyone reading this in western Pennsylvania, would like to see.

2007 PITTSBURGH WHISKEY FEST

Inaugural Fest Offers World-Renowned Whiskies and Premium Spirits

The spirit of the American Whiskey Trail continues with the 2007 Pittsburgh Whiskey Fest, Pittsburgh’s first large-scale whiskey and premium spirits tasting event, to take place Friday evening, November 2, 2007 from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. in the West Club Lounge at Heinz Field.

The 2007 Pittsburgh Whiskey Fest will attract and engage both “whiskey” and “whisky” enthusiasts alike. The fest will feature more than 60 premier distilled spirits producers and will present a wide variety of the finest Scottish, American, Canadian and Irish whiskies, including single malts and bourbons. Premium tequila, rum, gin, vodka and cognac will also be presented for tasting. The fest, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, will include a buffet and a silent auction.

The heritage and history of distilled spirits in America is fascinating, with many pivotal events and landmarks in this region, from The Whiskey Rebellion in 1794 to Pittsburgh’s mark on The American Whiskey Trail.

“It is befitting for Pittsburgh to have a world-class tasting event that celebrates premium spirits,” said Ed Harrell, producer of the Pittsburgh Whiskey Fest and president of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival. “In the tradition of the Pittsburgh Wine Festival, we are excited to have some of the finest distilled spirits producers in the world coming to Pittsburgh for the Whiskey Fest.”

The Whiskey Fest is a special opportunity for whiskey enthusiasts to “try before you buy” spirits that will be available through the onsite PLCB Premium Spirits store.

Tickets to the Pittsburgh Whiskey Fest are $85 in advance and $95 at the door. Tickets will be available for advance purchase online at http://www.pittsburghwhiskeyfest.com, along with additional event information. (As of today, the web site isn't live yet.)

Chuck,

Great news. I hope this sort of thing catches on all over the U.S. I am ready for one here in Texas.

I received a "corrected" press release a little while ago with the following header:

"Apologies for any inconvenience, please note the correct official name of the event — Pittsburgh Whiskey ‘Festival’ not ‘Fest.’"

Thanks for the post Chuck. I'm about 200 miles from Pittsburgh so that may be something I attend. I missed the KBF this year and can't attend the Chicago or NY Whiskey Fest so this will have to do.

I just got another email from them. The theme is "Taste the Spirit of the Rebellion." Tickets are on sale now for $85. If they don't sell out, tickets at the door will be $95.

I just got my tickets to the Philadelphia Whiskeyfest. It will be held on November 1st. at the John Wannamaker building in Philly. Cost is 85 bucks.

Joe :usflag:

While not particularly informative, the announcement and place to purchase tickets is here.

tix provides the following information:

Whiskey Festival 2007

Premier spirits event featuring 70 different vendors. Spirits include Whiskey, Scotch, Cognac, Tequila, Gin, Vodka and more.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 6:00 PM

The Crystal Tea Room

1201 Market Street

The Wanamaker Building

Philadelphia, PA 19103

Phone: (800) -59-5-4TIX

Any thoughts as to which might be the better event? Philly or Pittsburgh?

Of course, this could be a fun few days:

• WhiskyFest in NY on Oct 30
  • Philadelphia Whiskey Festival 2007 on Nov 1, and
  • Pittsburgh Whiskey Fest on Nov 2

Any thoughts as to which might be the better event? Philly or Pittsburgh?

I think they will be pretty much identical.

Joe :usflag:

As these things continue to proliferate, you need to look at which producers are participating, especially if your main interest is tasting. If your main interest is attending seminars, then you have to look at that schedule.

I don't know if there is a breaking point for the producers, but if it makes sense to come out for 2,000 people in Chicago then it makes just as much sense to come out for 2,000 people in Louisville or anywhere else. They just need to figure out who to have work the boothes. Some companies already supplement their booth crews with beautiful models and I haven't heard any complaints. We may see more of that.

You're not going to be able to have every master distiller at every event, but you don't have that now. If master distillers are the rock stars of whiskey shows, they will only get bigger as they are spread thinner and thinner.

So the specifics may differ, even between two events run by the same people. That's what you have to look at, based on what is important to you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.