Looking for people that drank Old Hickory and what they thought of it!

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dave - I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Old Hickory. I haven't seen any Reading Beer yet but I'm keeping an eye out for it. I was back in Jersey over the weekend and picked up a six of Yuengling Premium, which is the traditional light pilsener the Pottsville brewery has sold for decades. They've made their recent fortune with their "Traditional Lager", which is an amber beer, but the Yuengling I know from back in the old days was the Premium. Good to see it's now sold outside of Schulykill County. I have some fond (if somewhat hazy) memories of touring the Yuengling Brewery from back in my law school days, where we'd guzzle Premium and more with the father of the current owner. Great guy.

As I mentioned to you, I've always been a fan of the small regional breweries. The micros are cool, but the remaining small pre-Prohibition breweries have more soul. My regular pour is Straub's. http://www.straubbeer.com The Lion, from Wilkes Barre, brews good products, and of course Yuengling has grown so much its one of the major brewers nowadays. I've sampled most of the small Pennsy brewers that used to be around, including Ortliebs, Horlacher and Stoney's. A buddy and I were passing through Hazleton the week Horlacher's closed and we picked up a case of the last of their stock, in plain white labels and caps. Fresh as a whistle - I can still conjure up a mental image of the taste. It'll have to do, since it's another fine brew gone for good.

The micros brew fancy stuff, which is all (very) well and good, but I like a good workingman's beer. It kills me to see what Bud did to Rolling Rock, an institution in its community and a distinctive pilsner that was one of the cleanest, most honest pours around. No, the new stuff just isn't the same. I hear the brewery is or may be soon back in operation, brewing contract beer. I wish them well.

Hey Oscar - I found a bottle of the WTRR 101 for ya. PM me and we can work out the details.

- Kurt

Yeah Joe,

It is sad to see a favorite beer go away.

My first favorite was Schlitz, but they killed the taste in the mid '70's with a new brewing method.

hmm,... looks like we are off topic.

Hey Oscar it is even worse to see your Favorite Bourbon not being made. Many a night I would have shots of Old Hickory with Schlitz and then as you said Schlitz got Bad. As far as off topic beer & Bourbon go together like Scotch and Soda! I do not like the contract brewed Schlitz much today either nothing like the real stuff. Life changes but most times not for the better as you get older!

I would love to back in time walk in the old Club 1000 and tell the bartender Truman give me a shot of Hallers SRS and a glass of Schmidt's. You don't even find the old pickeled eggs in bars no more everything is modern and another old Favorite Joe might remember Tommy Dale Chips from reading! Oh the old Rolling rock brewery is running again City brew bought it and makes Sam Adams their on contract from them!

Dave z

Dave - I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Old Hickory. I haven't seen any Reading Beer yet but I'm keeping an eye out for it. I was back in Jersey over the weekend and picked up a six of Yuengling Premium, which is the traditional light pilsener the Pottsville brewery has sold for decades. They've made their recent fortune with their "Traditional Lager", which is an amber beer, but the Yuengling I know from back in the old days was the Premium. Good to see it's now sold outside of Schulykill County. I have some fond (if somewhat hazy) memories of touring the Yuengling Brewery from back in my law school days, where we'd guzzle Premium and more with the father of the current owner. Great guy.

As I mentioned to you, I've always been a fan of the small regional breweries. The micros are cool, but the remaining small pre-Prohibition breweries have more soul. My regular pour is Straub's. http://www.straubbeer.com The Lion, from Wilkes Barre, brews good products, and of course Yuengling has grown so much its one of the major brewers nowadays. I've sampled most of the small Pennsy brewers that used to be around, including Ortliebs, Horlacher and Stoney's. A buddy and I were passing through Hazleton the week Horlacher's closed and we picked up a case of the last of their stock, in plain white labels and caps. Fresh as a whistle - I can still conjure up a mental image of the taste. It'll have to do, since it's another fine brew gone for good.

The micros brew fancy stuff, which is all (very) well and good, but I like a good workingman's beer. It kills me to see what Bud did to Rolling Rock, an institution in its community and a distinctive pilsner that was one of the cleanest, most honest pours around. No, the new stuff just isn't the same. I hear the brewery is or may be soon back in operation, brewing contract beer. I wish them well.

Hey Oscar - I found a bottle of the WTRR 101 for ya. PM me and we can work out the details.

- Kurt

Hey Kurt good to hear from you Yuengling Premium is easy to get up my way and very nice prices Too. Used to be you would sit down order one of the old time beers couple pickeled eggs some Tommy Dale chips and a burger and it was normal. I have scene young people eating salids with beer or a drink at the bar guess they are having a Health drink! If you get to the Limerick area go to Epps they have yuengling & reading Beer I was just there the other day. Just up at Royersford Exit make a right go to old 422 make a left and Epps is on the Left about 1/2 mile. Give me an e mail and we could get a beer at Lakeside Inn it is very nice again and only about 2 miles up the road. Ortliebs was always a favorite of mine too and I knew the last of the Ortliebs Henry III that owned Sunny brook till he had a heart attack and died a couple of years ago. He came to our table to talk when we went in had some good stories and lots of old stuff on shelves for memories. Had good Whiskeys at the bar too!

The Old Hickory is being well used for my Health!

take care Kurt

Dave z

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.