Interesting glass

Luna56
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I posted this link about a month ago in the "Glassware Poll" but there have been no replies, so I thought I'd mention it again. It's a glass I got with a bottle of Macallan 12YO SM and I'm liking it a lot. It's basically a rocks glass but the sides curve inward about 2/3 the way up the glass so that the lip is smaller in circumference than the base. These glasses are currently available in Macallan 12YO gift sets, at least up here. I think it's a cool glass, hope you'll check it out and tell me what you think.

Cheers!

here's the link:

http://www.themacallan.com/shop/detail.asp?pid=GX6639A

That's a very stylish looking glass, sort of a cross between a rocks glass and a snifter.

I like it!

Scott

I remember seeing your post but I don't remember if I replied to it or not. I must say that they really do look nice. I have a set of lowballs that look similar to this but they came with some O'Mara's Irish Cream. I actually prefer them to my Riedel glasses because I think that you get a better sense of color and they allow the whiskey to breath a little better. I also prefer this set because of the inward curve on the upper part of the glass(unlike my other set of lowballs). Those MacAllens look a little nicer though.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed came packaged with some similar ones (not quite as tapered at top) a few years ago. I have four. Use them for most 'rocks' pours:

post-367-14489813463519_thumb.jpg

That's a nice looking glass. Here's a nice one, too...

http://apexexpress.stores.yahoo.net/whisglasbycl.html

I like the Glencairn glass a lot but sometimes you want a big, classy looking tumbler. The downside is, after you've held the tumbler for half a pour it gets all smudged and doesn't look so classy any more. Small detail I guess.

In any case,

Cheers!

I got a glass like that from Whiskyfest. I think it was from a place called The Brandy Library (A bar that has their own label for several different spirits as well as a huge selection of others). It's a nice glass (It's even a Riedel) that I've been wanting to try out but I just can't pass up the snifter for it. One of these days... Even though it makes it more prone to breaking I like the Riedel one because the glass seems thinner than most.

post-1438-14489813464478_thumb.jpg

Even though it makes it more prone to breaking I like the Riedel one because the glass seems thinner than most.

Why do you like a thinner glass? Seems like I can see the color of the bourbon better in a thinner-walled glass but I feel like I have to treat them gingerly. I have a great big tumbler with very thin sides and a heavy (1/2") bottom that's a favorite.

In any case, nice glass, thanks for posting it.

Cheers!

It's basically a rocks glass but the sides curve inward about 2/3 the way up the glass so that the lip is smaller in circumference than the base.

Barton has been handing out a fairly heavy glass just like this at the last few Samplers/Festivals.

I've also got a Reidel like the one above, but without the etching. I like it a lot, but my everyday favorite is my trusty $5 Crate-and-Barrel brandy snifter.

Why do you like a thinner glass? Seems like I can see the color of the bourbon better in a thinner-walled glass but I feel like I have to treat them gingerly.

I prefer to let my hand warm the glass and the bourbon and with the thinner ones it seems to warm up a little quicker. Granted the time difference is not really that much but for me this seems to be the way to go. I've got plenty of thicker glasses as well that I use but I often reach for the thinnest snifter I have.

...but my everyday favorite is my trusty $5 Crate-and-Barrel brandy snifter.

Yeah, I've for some nice glasses/snifters, even one that's crystal which I really like, but I usually reach for one of the plain, everyday, snifters my brother for me for xmas last year. They're nice and thin too! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.