Ginger Beer

texascarl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ginger Beer

2 gallons bottled water

2 1/2 pounds gingerroot

1 cup hot water

4 limes, cut in half

1 cup light brown sugar

In a large, nonreactive stockpot, bring the bottled water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, working in small batches, place the ginger into a food processor and add 1 cup hot water to make mincing easier. Process until minced; pour the mixture into the pot. Continue until all of the ginger has been minced and added to the pot.

When the water comes to a boil, turn the heat off. Take the limes and with a spoon scoop the insides into the pot; drop the peels into the pot as well. Add the brown sugar and stir well to dissolve. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Stir again and strain the liquid through a fine strainer or a double layer of dampened cheesecloth. Pour through a funnel into containers. Store for up to 1 month, but try to use when fresh, as the potency of the ginger fades with time.

I've got a lot going on at the moment but will try this asap, Thanks Texascarl. When I was very young, 2or 3 they used to make homemade root beer but didn't stay at it long. It's one of those things I liked it a lot but never knew way we didn't do it anymore .

Bobby Cox

Hey Carl,

Is something missing from this recipe? Do you drink the stuff flat?

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

It's 'flat' in that it's not carbonated. But it's plenty spicy. If you want carbonation, you could mix this with equal amounts of bottled ginger ale like Canada Dry or Schwepps.

• 1 month later...

I was planning on making Ginger Ale when you first posted this, but I wanted a carbonated version so I did not follow your advice and instead sought out a different recipe. After finding a "ginger plant" recipe, I decided to make it first before posting my recipe.

I shoulda tried yours first. I wanted carbonation, I got carbonation. I also got glass shrapnel throughout my basement and two very scared but fortunately not scarred cats after three bottles violently blew up. I'll try yoour recipe and post my results accordingly.

Good luck, I haven't made this ginger beer recipe myself, I just saw it and posted it, I'd like to know how it works for you. Glad the cats are OK. I had a batch of 'old fashioned' root beer blow up on me one time, carbonation can be tricky stuff in sealed glass containers.

Carl,

Ginger,,,,,,, the nastiest, nasty, yuck, gag, choke and puke stuf ever found on the earth......

I tasted ginger flavored brandy one time........I cannot (even acting) make my body do what that crap made it do!

Ohhhhhhhhhh Yuckkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Bettye Jo

I'm talking out of school, here, because I've never attempted ginger or root beer. But, when making beer beer, you use a fermentation lock that lets out the excess carbonation while keeping oxygen out of the container. Then, when you bottle the stuff, you add just a bit more sugar so that it will ferment a little more inside the capped bottles, giving the beer "natural" carbonation.

Again, I have no idea whether this could work with your recipes, but it certainly seems safer.

Tim

Bettye Jo

Ginger brandy eh? Hmmmm. I think I'll stick with good Whiskey. This is probably why some folks drive Chevy's and some drive Fords or MoPar or whatever. I really like good ginger ale and ginger beer, but I guess not everyone else does. More for me!

Yep, we just dosed our batch of root beer a bit too well. Hey, we were in Junior High chemistry club, we thought making 'alcohol' root beer was pretty cool. Til we had to clean up the mess.

Hey Carl,

This ain't got nothin ta do with the price of eggs in Missisippi.......but it ain't a Chevy or a Ford or whatever that other thing ya wuz talkin about......It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee...........and iffin ya hit a running red bull (at night) in the middle of the road at 55 miles per hour you will not wreck........ it will knock the bull over ya jeep...... (along with a lot of cow dung) and it will end up in the fence line.... along side the road... almost where it came from..........then you will comince ta drive that jeep kinda skeered...... you will pull off the side of the road......hell, ya ain't goin far cause your tires and you fender are touchin......ya put it in park and turn the key off......Heck far we went back to where it happened..... a couple of hours later to show the kids the bull and dad burn somebody had already picked it up for supper!...

This is not bull .........IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED..........I will always buy a JEEP!

Bettye Jo

Damn! I have seen people in SUV's hit deer and their Autos come out looking like scrap metal, and you ran down a Bull and won!!!

That one strong ass jeep!

LOL

TomC

This is what it looked like after the fur flew....... What you cannot see is the Bull crap sprayed all over it and the fur in the bumper and fender....

I really believe.... if we had been in our Blazer someone would have been hurt and we would have lost control.....

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489811069755_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.