Filson Tasting

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mike Veach is having another bourbon tasting fund raiser at the Filson Historical Society in Louisville. Proceeds are to be split between the Filson and the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History in Bardstown.

The event is Friday, June 7, starting at 6:00 PM. Tickets are $100 and only 50 will be sold. It is called "Asleep in the Wood" and will discuss the differences between aged whiskey and old whiskey. Mike Veach, and Julian and Preston Van Winkle, will lead the tasting. They will start by tasting modern Old Forester 86 proof, as an example of typical 6 to 8 year old bourbon. They will follow with a 1977 bottling of Maker's Mark, as an example of old bourbon of this age range. The next whiskey will be the 13 year old Van Winkle rye followed by a 12 year old bottled-in-bond Mount Vernon Rye (1917-1929). Next will be the 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle followed by a 17 year old bottled-in-bond Old Rip Van Winkle (1916-1933). This last one was made at the Glenmore Distillery in Owensboro and is a 4 grain bourbon made with corn, rye, malt and oats. After the tasting will be socializing, with appetizers and punch.

The address of the Filson Historical Society is 1310 South Third Street, Louisville, KY 40208. Telephone Number (502) 635-5083. Email is veach@filsonhistorical.org.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by cowdery on Tue May 21 13:08:32 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Punch -> My great hairy arse! I'd love to attend, but I'm having dinner with 'W' that same evening. My regrets to one and all.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I wish I could attend. Hopefully someone will post great tasting notes of the experience!

I wish we could pay $150 and get minatures and a video tape. (I really wish I could just BE there).

• 2 weeks later...

Atlast for the first time I will be flying into Kentucky!

Being able to drink Bourbon at where it was born,thats enough to make me excited.I hope I can meet some of the people from this forum while i'm there.All I have to do now is get on that plane and sip some bourbon out of those miniture bottles and sleep my way to Kentucky.I hope my flight is not packed.

Koji

Hi Koji. If you are attending the Filson tasting event you will be in great company indeed. Enjoy your trip to Kentucky, friend.

If you have time, visit the whiskey museum in Bardstown, just 45 minutes from Louisville. That's where the annual bourbon festival takes place in September.

Hopefully, you will be able to join us there as well.

Omar

A quick Bump just to say I wish I could attend this soiree tomorrow, and to ask for a synopsis and some tasting notes from anyone who attends.

Chuck and/or anyone else who attends...I'd like to relay a request to Mr Veach and Mr. Van Winkle and any other of our distinquished posters from the past who've added so much to our knowledge base here (but who seem so scarce these days) to PLEASE stop by with us here now and then. I learn a lot here and let's face it...the rarest jewels of wisdom in our bourbonic crown are handed down from the mountaintops. I have a lot of friends who are drop-dead IMPRESSED when I say "Oh yes, that tasty whiskey i just poured for you was put up by Mr. Julian Van Winkle...who told my group of bourbon advocates just last week that so and so made such and such if it says it's bottled in Bardstown but doesn't say it's distilled in Bardstown. QED." I could care less about which movie star or modern rocker fell down at the security checkpoint at which airport, but I seriously dig rubbing cyber-elbows with all these Grand Poobahs and High Potentates of Bourbonia. So come back, guys.

I'm reminded of a famous local raconteaur & KC jazz great who used to run an ad daily in the classified ad section of the Kansas City Star: "Did you write me a bad check? I've forgotten, so come on back, all is forgiven. I ain't mad at nobody. Jazz and Juice at Miltons on Main".

Come on back, gents, we ain't mad at nobody. Blues and Bourbon at Straight Bourbon.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of Mike posting his tasting notes? Being from Maryland, it's not often that you see a Maryland product in a tasting. I may have to break out my Mount Vernon and attempt my own notes.

Koji was there. Maybe he'll share.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.