What can you tell me about Vintage Rye?

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have recently come across a couple of stores that carry the Vintage line of Bourbon and Straight Rye Whiskey. Since it is new here and I haven't yet had a pour of any of the Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd products. These are a little more pricey than what I typically spend so I would like get a better feel for what's in the bottle. The 21 and 23 yr straight Ryes are the most interesting. Please advise if you have had this spirit.

Thanks, Tim

I've had them, and I like them quite a bit, best thing is, for me at least, I like the youngest from each varietal (can grain be a varietal?) best. That means I prefer the 17yo Bourbon and the 21yo Rye. They are well priced (locally, anyway) when compared to similar age statements.

Thank you. I think some Vintage will be in my near future. But I will be buying 2 bottles of WLW 07 since I found them in town here. Anybody else care to share an opinion?

I like the youngest from each varietal (can grain be a varietal?) best. That means I prefer the 17yo Bourbon and the 21yo Rye.

Me to Timothy.

Leif

My thing with the Vintages is the price, which I don't begrudge them, it just makes me less interested personally since, even if they're pretty good, are they 7 or 8 times better than my $12 Rittenhouse?

But, boy, have I seen it in action. That age statement sells. People whose pocket book or self-iimage or both requires or permits them to always get the best of everything, they walk up to that shelf, see the price, see the age statement, figure that must be the best and buy it. I've heard couples discussing their purchase. They don't know what they're buying. They just know it's $90 and 23-years-old.

Well I seem to like well aged whiskey and rye. VWFFR 13yr, VW 15yr, Saz 18, Stagg etc... and that sparked the question because this whiskey is outside of my normal price range. usaully it is $55 top end with $20 to $30 typical price. Is this stuff worth the extra cost? Is it worth a one time try or should I pass it over completely and just buy and extra bottle of something I already know that I like?

• 3 weeks later...

I am wondering if the Vintage Ryes are close kin to the previous ryes released by KBD under the BMH label(?). Or, are they totally different barrels? Either way, has anyone experienced both to the point that they could provide analysis?

• 3 months later...

For Me it is the Rittenhouse 100 & 80 for $10. & $12. I can't imagin paying that much, Rittenhouse Rye is a great product and very Close to the Original formula which Continental Distilling made When I worked for them It has always been my favorite and can't be beat for the price.

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

=======================================

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.