Eureka!

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to all of you who encouraged my search for a local supplier of a variety of quality bourbon.

I finally found what may be the answer to my prayers, as follows:

http://www.hitimewine.com/spirits_4.htm#americanwhiskey

Located freeway-close in Costa Mesa, about 20 miles south along the coast, it's rather more convenient to my location than the Van Nuys store someone mentioned, and the product list is jaw-dropping.

In fact, I doubted that they could have such a variety in stock; so I called them and spot checked a few. Virginia Gentleman 6 y/o, Elmer T. Lee, Old Grand Dad 114, Old Fitzgerald 1849, Rock Hill Farms, and Elijah Craig 18 y/o are all in stock (at least so says their computer). However, even they don't have the Ancient Ancient Age 10 y/o that I've been wanting to try.

Now I'm almost wishing I hadn't broken down and placed an order with Sam's last night. It'll be a month before I get my next bourbon allowance.

BTW, at this very moment .... aaah!.... I am enjoying sipping the younger Virginia Gentleman (from my infamous haunted snifter). At first the nose was a bit harsh, as though a rush of alcohol was leaping from the surface and into my nose. After a while it seemed to quiet down, leaving a gentle, slightly citrusy aroma, and then I took my first sip.

My first impression was that it had just a bit of bite, but the flavor had a tangy sweetness that I really liked. The sweetness carried through to the finish. With subsequent sips the bite diminished, but the flavor did not. The only thing wrong with the flavor is that I would like to have a lot more if it.

If the 6 y/o (only 20 miles away in Costa Mesa) is a bit smoother and fuller-bodied, that will really be something.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Dave,

As Linn will tell you, do your taste buds a big favor. Get the 6 yr old Fox. It's considerably better and still very affordable.

Cheers,

Omar

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.