Any opinions on...

Pill_Man
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did a search of the site, but could not locate anything on these Bourbons. The fact that they were on the retailer's 2nd and 3rd shelves should probably tell me something. ;o)

Fighting Cock, Dickel, and Rebel Yell.

TIA.

Doug...

Ain't Life Grand?! ~

____________________ ~

(___<<M>>____________}}}

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Doug widen your search parameters to 'all forums' and 'all dates', and that ought to do it for you.

As far as George Dickel goes you can find two great threads down on the Tennessee Whiskey forum. One thread is by John Roberts and the other is an in depth report on the state of George Dickel by yours truly.

On the left hand side of every forum there is a drop down menu that selects the time criteria for the threads displayed. Drop that down and select 'all dates'. Do the same whenever you select search criteria -> select 'all forums' and 'all dates'. Be sure to spell whatever it is you are looking for correctly.

There hasn't been much discussion on either Rebel Yell or Fighting Cock, but has been some.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Doug,

Of course Linn gave you the right answers about the forum info, but I'll give you my opinions of a few of those bourbons.

Rebel Yell is a good deal for $9 a bottle. I'd drink it before I'd drink JB White label, and for some reason, I have a fondness for taking a bottle of it when we go camping. For the price, it sure can't hurt you to try it.

Fighting cock on the other hand is foul in the extreme (in my opinion). If you search the forum, you'll find somewhere a story where my friends applauded as I poured a nearly full bottle down the drain. I've heard people tell me they like it, but those folks are damn few and far between.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Thanx for the tips on searching the forums!

Doug...

Ain't Life Grand?! ~

____________________ ~

(___<<M>>____________}}}

Spoken like the true moderater you are Linnwink.gif, Jim made a wise choice!

Tom (You look quite dapper in<font color=green> GREEN</font color=green>)C

Some dude name MurphyDawg did some mighty spiffy tasting note on George Dickel (LOL), under the heading Honest To Goodness Tasting notes. Personally I think his opinions are trustworthy. . .

Tom (tootin' my horn) C

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Tom! I'll be sure to be a paragon of virtue.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Opps Tom I forgot about your Dickel tasting notes. Ralph Whilps also has posted tasting notes to Dickel's 10 year old 'Barrel Reserve'. If it's intel on Dickel you're after this forum surely has it.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jim Butler wrote "Fighting Cock on the other hand is foul in the extreme..." You certainly have that right Jim! Fighting Cock is also known as the "Crappy Clucker" with good reason. Heaven Hill must have wanted something to try and compete with Wild Turkey. Instead they got something as bad as (if not worse than) Old Crow. For those of you that don't know Old Crow's 'street name' is 'The Dirty Birdie'.

Linn Spencer

From Stitzel Weller days the Rebel Yell was supposed to be the same as Weller's Reserve but marketed below the Mason Dixon Line , any thing that made it's way north had contraband written on the case. I guess to add to the mystique .Now we have Old Fitz gone to HH and Buffalo Trace got Weller's I didn't hear who bought Rebel Yell or was it even sold. A lot of people in Kentucky are still fond of game chickens . The one on the Fighting Cock label belonged to a young man who lives nearby, he supposedly got 6 bottles of the whiskey in exchange for the picture. If the whiskey in those bottles is the same as they fill the " OLD BARDSTOWN" ones with , merely saying it is foul is being too kind! I have actually heard people say it was the best they have drank , these folk probably won't show up on this forum , they are more of the falling down drunk crowd. Maybe those 3 extra degrees of proof does it for them.

Bobby Cox

I certainly have never thought of the word "moderate" in connection with Linn, but "moderator"?

Congratulations!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Bobby,

David Sherman bought the 'Rebel Yell' brand some time ago. It is unknown how much if any whiskey stock he may have gotten from then United Distillers & Vintners ( now Diageo). Sherman also owns McCormmick's, and his company also markets Ezra Brooks; Yellowstone, and jewel in his crown the very delicious Walthen's.

Hey Chuck doesn't David Sherman also have a hand in the Barton's pie?

Linn Spencer

Your statement that Sherman owns McCormick is news to me, nor do I know of any connection with Barton, unless maybe Barton has done some contract distilling for them.

You do that, And I'M LEAVING!!!!!tongue.gifThe fact that someone as freewheeling as you is a moderator sums up what I like about this site.

So YOU Rock On with your bad selfcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif!!!!!

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Chuck! It's shocking I know, but I can do the job.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

OK Chuck who does own McCormick's? I also thought that David Sherman & family also owned a sizable chunk of Consolidated the foreign company that does own Barton's. I have some British opperatives off of the Bass Players forum at Harmony-Central. I'll have them look into it more deeply.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tom I'm too old to change. I just need to be more even tempered, and thoughtful. No more drunken rants. No more flames. But I can still say -> -> -> -> PANTS AWAY!

Linn Spencer

Two tidbits to contribute here:

1) David Sherman also owns the David Nicholson 1843 brand (which used to belong to Julian's family, and is/was made of 7 year old Old Fitz) and those of us who can find the Old Fitz stuff really like it.

2) McCormicks distillery, located near Weston Mo, not 20 miles from me, changed hands and the local distillery has been 'dark' for the past 10 years at least. I think all the distillation is now going on over in Illinois.

I'm sorry they no longer distill here, seems everything is gone now but the name and the old distillery facility itself. I can't buy cheap whiskey barrels and make 'swish' by adding a few gallons of spring water to the barrels, sealing and rolling the barrel around the yard in the sunshine. It was only McCormicks when you were done, but still...it was fun. Judging from what's on the bottom shelf, McCormick's now seems to make a ton of vodka (yuck!) and gin and so on, and those weren't a big part of their business when they were located here.

FWIW, if you ever travel thru KC, Weston MO is only 10 minutes from the MCI airport, and it's a little bit of the 'old south' here in the middle of Yankee country. They grow tobacco there on the rich Loess soil along the Missouri river, so there are old Tobacco barns everywhere, and when the distillery operated, you could 'forget' you were in KC and 'pretend' you were somewhere in the antebellum south without too much difficulty.

It's a good day trip destination for us locals, as it was a pretty proseperous 'river town' with all that whiskey and tobacco 150 years ago, so there are a lot of nice old buildings restored now, Old Timey drug stores, some great restaurants, a lot of 'antique' shops and so on. And a DANGED fine Irish pub built down in an old wine cellar (Oh yeah, there's a winery and has been for quite a while).

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Kansas City sounds like damn fine place to visit Carl!

Who owns McCormick's now?

Linn Spencer

I don't know...I don't pay too much attention to 'em. And like I said it seems that all their distilling goes on over in Illinois these days no matter what their mailing address is. 200 miles away is sailing far foreign for me these days. I do see that they're also making liquers and so on, key lime Ke Ke and an irish cream, things like that. (and if you like Key Lime pie, I've heard that Ke Ke is worth a taste)

http://www.mccormickdistilling.com/

Plus I remembered this hubbub from a few years ago:

For Immediate Release: FY-00-17

ATF Suspends McCormick's Distillery Basic Permits

$2 Million in Penalties Assessed

Washington - Beginning July 1, 2000, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) will suspend for seven days the distillery basic permits of McCormick Distilling Company, Weston, Missouri. The suspension is part of a settlement agreement that also includes McCormick's payment of a $1 million Offer-in-Compromise to resolve alleged violations of the Federal Alcohol Administration Act. The suspension and Offer-in-Compromise stem from McCormick's failure to comply with Federal record keeping requirements relating to the production, shipment, and exportation of distilled spirits.

In a related criminal case, McCormick pled guilty in United States District Court in Newark, New Jersey, to making false entries in required Internal Revenue Code distillery records by characterizing potable distilled spirits as industrial products. The false entries aided other parties who were allegedly involved in a scheme to smuggle distilled spirits disguised as windshield washer fluid and other solvents into the Ukrainian Republic and Russia. As part of the guilty plea, McCormick paid an additional $1 million in tax restitution to the Ukrainian Republic, and a fine of $10,250 to the U.S. Justice Department. On June 1, 2000, Assistant Attorney General James Robinson presented the Ukrainian Ambassador with the $1 million paid by McCormick in restitution for lost Ukrainian excise taxes.

The suspension of McCormick's permits, the $1 million Offer-in-Compromise, and the criminal investigation that resulted in an additional $1 million fine represent ATF's continued emphasis on investigating and taking action against alcohol and tobacco permitees involved in illegal diversion schemes.

The last information I had was that McCormick was owned by a local group of private investors. That's all I know.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,

If it's anything like the mutual funds that i own that's not a good thing. Owning shrares in a losser is a frightful thing.

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.