Blanton's Compared to Elmer T. Lee

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My Sam's order arrived today just as I was finishing my yard work.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I had forgotten what I had ordered. You see, when I was preparing the order, I temporarily lost control, resulting in a tentative total of nearly $400. (Got to spread the shipping cost over as many bottles as possible, right? And the more expensive each bottle is, the closer the CA sales tax comes to offsetting the shipping cost per bottle; the more you spend, the more you save. wink.gif ) Fortunately for my financial liquidity, sanity returned before I sent the order, and I pared it down to just four bottles. Only thing is, I forgot which four, and Sam's confirmation of the order via email didn't itemize my order.

When I opened the package (more on that in a separate post one of these days), I found inside Kentucky Spirit, Elijah Craig 18 y/o, Rock Hill Farms, and Elmer T. Lee.

Recalling that ETL and Blanton's start out as the same bourbon, and having had a drink of Blanton's just last night, I just had to sample ETL right away. With the glassware three rooms away and my dogs reminding me that I was late for their afternoon walk, I popped the cap and took a swig.

I could taste the similarity to Blanton's, but with a little extra kick on the palate, and even more as it went down. Now I'm starting to understand what Linn is talking about when he describes Blanton's as balanced. It maintains the same smoothness at every stage from nose to tummy.

At this point I'm beginning to think that my old, tired taste buds need a little more oomph than Blanton's provides. I agree that Blanton's is a marvelous bourbon, but to me it may not be worth the cost. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I turn out to be too old and decrepit to appreciate the difference between a $20 bourbon and a $48 bourbon? smile.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Fat chance Dave. If it's 'oomph' you want then it's 'oomph' you're gonna get in both the Kentuck Spirit and Rock Hill Farms. Then you'll be hooked on a pair of $45 bourbons. Damn shame ain't it? wink.gif

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Yeah, Linn, but I know what Dave means...I don't get nearly the satisfaction from "balanced", mellow bourbons like Blanton's or Woodford that I do from the wilder kick of a high-rye whiskey like OGD. I prefer Rare Breed and the late-lamented WT 12 YO to Kentucky Spirit. Same idea. But I wouldn't trade my pipes for better taste buds, so you'll just have to leave the rocket fuel to guys like Dave and me.

Ralph Wilps

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Why hell yes Ralph! That's why they make the stuff -> for you to enjoy. Have you tasted Rock Hill Farms yet? That'll blow your bloomers in the breeze.laugh.gif

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn:

Lead on! Happens a good State store (PA LCB) is on the road home from where we go to Mass on Sat. night. The sequence is totally logical - to church and then to the store for some Rock Hill Farm! I know how to have a good spiritual life in all ways, especially with "spirit-ual" guides like you available. Let you know whether I get a first stage liftoff from the RHF.

Ralph

• 4 weeks later...

When I checked "Who's Online" just now (2:00 PM PDT, Tuesday 7/9/2002), there were three anonymous users looking at this thread.

If you are one of them and you see this note, please tell us what you think about Blanton's and Elmer T. Lee. Pretty please...

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I am not new, but i will tell you this, Elmer T, Lee is at the very top of my list of bourbons to get, your descriptions have made me want it even more!!

Tom (sorry, I got nuthin' today Booney!!) C

Tom,

You may have me confused with someone else. My only comment about Elmer T. Lee was a one-liner after I took one pull straight from the bottle. If that's all it takes to recruit you, then you're way too easy. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

D'OH!!!!! blush.gif

okay "the forums comments" I musta been giddy with BLEEENESS at the time!

PS it is very easy to recruit me to try new bourbon, and dotell what you think when you get a chance!!!

Tom (D'OH!!) C

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

I haven't had a chance to try Blanton's yet though it is definitely on my list. But I just recently purchased a bottle of Elmer T. Lee.

It wasn't quite what I expected given the exorbitant prices and intrigue that are usually associated with single barrels. Don't get me wrong. I've dipped into it 3 times so far and I have enjoyed it, but it seems to have no complexity to it whatsoever. It was pleasantly sweet to the smell with a smooth, sweet taste and woody finish. But I found no indication of big flavors or body or anything I thought you should expect from a single barrel offering. It has a good standard bourbon taste-n-feel to it and perhaps that's the message this product is supposed to convey. Or perhaps I bought into a sub-par barrel. Who knows....

Anyway, its good stuff, but as far as complexity and flavors go, Old Forester 100 proof, Very Old Barton BIB, WT RR, and Old Rip 10 yr. 107 proof have a lot more to offer.

Being my first single barrel, I hope that future purchases of Blanton's, WT KS, etc. hold more promise.

-Troy

Don't know about ET Lee but Blanton's is a hell of a drink.

Troy,

Welcome aboard.

I see that this is your second post and that the rather new host software now categorizes you as a "stranger". I will be watching with interest to see what the next category is and how many posts it takes you to reach it. But enough trivia.

We have two kinds of heavyweights around here, those who make the scales call out, "Hey! One person at a time!", and those who really know their stuff when it comes to bourbon. I'm in the former group. The fact that I sometimes turn a nifty phrase causes some people to think I know more than I do; it just annoys certain other people. You'll quickly see who the real heavyweights are, if you just search the archive for a few subjects of interest to you.

I've been accumulating and tasting bourbon for only a few months now. Since I drink only about four to six ounces a day, I am only slowly learning what I like, while trying to figure out why.

I still struggle with the concept of complexity. Again we have two groups here; one says "Damn fine bourbon; it reminds me of a {X}ier version of {bourbon Y}"; the other uses a descriptive tasting vocabulary that includes many things I've never tasted and seems to be further influenced by the household spice rack. On the surface, at least, the former group would seem to be unperceptive of complexity, while the latter group revels in it. I am in the former group.

All of that is a preface to the following opinions.

Blanton's is held in very high regard by other members more experienced than I. Yet when I compare my enjoyment of it to, say, Russell's Reserve, Kentucky Spirit, or Van Winkles 10 year-old, 107*, I find it to be less than good value for the money. IMO it's no match for Kentucky Spirit (or one or two mid-priced bourbons, for that matter). Your mileage may vary.

I still haven't gotten around to a serious side-by-side tasting of Blanton's and Elmer T. Lee. Using my new Glencairn (sp?) glasses to do this comparison is now high on my to-do list. At the moment I have only a fleeting experience of ETL, which struck me as rather similar to Blanton's but with more oomph. I'll take a wild guess, based on your reaction to ETL, that you may not be very impressed with Blanton's, either.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, You don't give yourself enough credit, man! Just because you don't feel like pulling flavors outta the bourbon you love hardly means that you don't appreciate good bourbons complexity. . . I mean you rave on & on about Russell's Reserve and why you love it and you love it because it is complex!! Your posts are heartfelt and your true opinions and that is all you could ask for in a poster on this fine forum, It is all I can do. i am not expert in anything bourbonic, I just know what I like and happen to be able to pull some flavors outta what I drink (& happen to enjoy doing so). All I do is shoot straight and say what I think, Its the only way to respect in here here parts cool.gifcool.gif !!

Rock On you guys, I'm glad to have you around!!

BTW I'm with Dave on thinking Russells Reserve a better bourbon & better value than Blanton's, but that said Blanton's is a superior bourbon, to which I have never heard of a bourbon lover who does not enjoy it. The saying around here is:

"If you don't like Blanton's, then you just don't like bourbon!"

Elmer T. Lee is on the top of the list of bourbons I want to try.

Tom (Morale Booster) C

PS I guess I am a lightweight around here, when I don't have guests around I average 1 1/2 oz consumption every other day. . . . . . .

I definitely enjoy tasting and drinking bourbon, and my ineptness at the former does not interfere at all with my enjoyment of the latter.

My frustration arises when I am unable to communicate my experience to others who may be intrested.

For example, last night I used my new glasses to do a side-by-side comparison, per the subject line.

If I say something as radical as "I really preferred the Elmer T. Lee", I feel obligated to explain why. (Saying, as I have said before, that Blanton's lacks "Oomph" leaves me, and presumably the reader, feeling unsatisfied.)

One intriguing note, as I finished the Blanton's, arriving at those last few drops, where the empty-glass aroma is just starting to show up, I was reminded of orange marmelade on a bran muffin. Your mileage may vary.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Yes, Dave, we are in agreement on the orange notes in Blanton's. I have mentioned that experience a couple of times before in these forums. And, that is basically the only time I have ever noted a non-bourbon flavor in a bourbon. And, it doesn't happen even every time I taste Blanton's.

But, I still appreciate complexity in bourbon flavor. I just don't know how to describe it to others. I feel silly saying "anise" or "blackberries" or what have you. So, I don't.

Also, to Tom, definitely my top two desired new (to me) bourbons to try are Elmer T. Lee and Rock Hill Farms. (But, Linn, you made me add Wathen's to that list, today). I went to my ABC store, this morning, to see if the RHF I special ordered a few weeks ago ever came, but it didn't. Neither ETL nor Wathen's are available in AL. frown.gif

Tim

Tim, you will NOT regret buying Wathens. It is a definitive Bourbon. I think If I could I would lay in a case of it . Definitely one to include in a time capsule or to send to the far reaches of the universe to should how civilized man can be on a good day.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got around to trying my ET Lee last night. And I suppose the thing that suprised me about it most is that while it does have more oomph thatn Blantons, It is not nearly as drastic as I thought it was going to be. It doesnt compare big boldness to say WT stuff or Old Forrester, and it is still quite smooth and sweet overall. That said I do agree that it it isnt as balanced as Blantons, and seems to taste thicker and with a heavier sweetness to me. Also it seems to taste like it is older, with an nice barrelly finish. I will have to post a tasting sometime but it is very good and even better considering the Low 20's pice I paid for it.

Tom (Elmer rocks!) C

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.