Bourbon glazed chicken breast

WineGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is a thread I can't find with a recipe for marinading skirt steak with bourbon and brown sugar.

I'm going to try it with chicken breast tomorrow- 1 tablespoon of bourbon and a little brown sugar, and maybe a little mustard. I have WT101 for the bourbon. Is there any danger of cooking chicken marinaded in bourbon on a grill? Will there be a big fire cloud?

I always find chicken breast to be too dry and with not enough flavor. The marinade sounds like it could add a lot of flavor.

If you mix the bourbon down to around 60 proof or less, and keep it out of the direct flame, you will be fine... let me know how it tastes... sounds good

A tablespoon of bourbon mixed with sugar and spread over chicken will produce no flame.

To ignite most spirits you have to warm it up and then actually light it with a match. Once diluted and spread over something the alcohol will evaporate off slowly as its temperature is regulated by the surface it is in contact with (ie. the chicken.)

You're right, chicken is dry and flavorless. I've given it up. I eat Lamb.

...You're right, chicken is dry and flavorless. I've given it up. I eat Lamb.

If lamb is 'flavorful', I choose chicken!:bigeyes:

To each his own, I guess.

Try this, first locate the recipe for Emeril's essence on his page of the Food Network website. In a medium size stainless steel mixing bowl place the following....

1/4 C packed brown sugar

1/4 C bourbon (your choice but I like EW Green Label)

3 tlbs Lea & Perrins

3 tlbs terriaki sauce

2 tlbs butter (melted)

2 tsp pepper

1 tsp kosher salt

Mix very well with a wire whip, place chicken in the mix and refrigerate covered for a couple of hours.

When you are ready to grill take 1/4 C brown sugar and 1 - 2 tbs of essence (depending on how much kick you want it to have. Remove chicken and place on a plate. Rub the above mixture on one side of the chicken. Before placing chicken on the grill (rub side up) brush the chicken with the mixture from the bowl. Continue to use this before turning chicken each time.

I like to keep the bowl on the top rack of the grill while cooking to keep it hot. This also kills off anything from the chicken that could be harmful. Once the chicken is done, plate it up and pour a little of the left over mixture over it. I think you'll like this. And for a slightly different taste, before pouring your mix over the plated chicken add 2 more oz of bourbon. This amount, which has not cooked down, will change the flavor just enough but won't over power the dish. Depending how much chicken you are cooking you may want to double the marinade mixture.

This also works well with ribs.

I made this chicken last night and felt it lacked flavor. Next time I am going to throw more spices in, maybe the juice of a lemon for acidity.

For good tasting chicken on an outdoor grill, I've found that the bone-in breasts are the best bet (and they're usually cheaper, too)

I think I got the idea from a Weber cookbook, but I cook my marinated chicken breasts bone side down for 30 minutes on direct medium heat and they are perfect and juicy every time. If you want to add some color to the top, just crank up the heat to high and flip them over for a minute or two to add some grill marks.

From what I've learned, a marinade should contain acid and oil along with your favorite flavorings. I envision a marinade with a base of brown sugar and liquor turning into a charred mess if the food needed to cook for any length of time. It would make a tasty sauce to apply in the last part of the cooking cycle, though.

I can't wait until the weather breaks so that I can try it out.

I made this chicken last night and felt it lacked flavor. Next time I am going to throw more spices in, maybe the juice of a lemon for acidity.

A little confused....tried it with which recipe? I only ask because if it was the one I posted it seemed odd it would lack flavor with the addition of the Essence rub along with the other ingredients.

And don't get me wrong, I won't be offended. Everyone's tastes run different (which is why we have so many bourbons to choose from I guess) I'm just curious on the recipe used.

From what I've learned, a marinade should contain acid and oil along with your favorite flavorings. I envision a marinade with a base of brown sugar and liquor turning into a charred mess if the food needed to cook for any length of time. It would make a tasty sauce to apply in the last part of the cooking cycle, though. I can't wait until the weather breaks so that I can try it out.

I have never had a problem with charring using brown sugar or liquor. I have found that using a base with white sugar will burn or char, like putting on a tomato/sugar based BBQ sauce to early? I have cooked my Brown Sugar & Bourbon flank steak at temps as high as 800º and never had a problem. This is one of my families favorite recipes for flank steak. The Bourbon flavor is subtle, so you might want to increase that? Here is what the finished product looks like! I love BBQ'ing and Grilling!

I am with you on the weather, though I do out door cook year round, it is much nicer in the nice weather. I really want to cover my back deck so I can have more space to move around when I am cooking!

:toast:

A little confused....tried it with which recipe? I only ask because if it was the one I posted it seemed odd it would lack flavor with the addition of the Essence rub along with the other ingredients.

And don't get me wrong, I won't be offended. Everyone's tastes run different (which is why we have so many bourbons to choose from I guess) I'm just curious on the recipe used.

I didn't have the lea & perrins, essence, or terriaki sauce, so I made a basic marinade with bourbon and brown sugar. Your recipe looks much better with the addition of more flavor.

For good tasting chicken on an outdoor grill, I've found that the bone-in breasts are the best bet (and they're usually cheaper, too)

When I make fried chicken I use bone in dark meat and it comes out very good. I like to double dip in both the egg mix and seasoned flour. It is one recipe where I put a teaspoon or tablespoon of every spice I have in the flour mix- onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, white pepper, sugar, ect.

The bourbon chicken I made I used frozen breast meat. Next time I'l buy bone in dark meat. I think the dark meat is more flavorful than breast. Maybe it is the extra fat that makes it taste good.

Well it hit a balmy 54 in Cleveland today, so the grill came out for dinner. I didn't have the guts to spring the bourbon chicken on my wife, but I did make an old standby marinade of garlic, cilantro, fresh lime juice and a splash of tequila. 4 hours in the marinade and 30 minutes bone side down on the grill and mmmmm.....

I just mentioned the bourbon glaze chicken and she said "woo", so the prospects are good. :cool:

Here is what the finished product looks like! I love BBQ'ing and Grilling!

God that looks good it's making me hungry just looking at it. It looks like restaurant food.

I am glad it looks good! The recipe is Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak with Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes. It came out of a magazine called Cooking Light. It is cooking that leans towards "healthier" recipes and our family has found many excellent ones which we continue to enjoy.

I love BBQ and grilling. Bourbon goes so well during the cook. I love a mild summer night, the smoker chugging away, sitting on the deck with a nice pour of Bourbon...that is a great evening.

I grilled and BBQ'd for several years before I discovered a taste for Bourbon, it has rounded out the hobby perfectly.

I am glad it looks good! The recipe is Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak with Garlic Chive Mashed Potatoes. It came out of a magazine called Cooking Light. It is cooking that leans towards "healthier" recipes and our family has found many excellent ones which we continue to enjoy.

I love BBQ and grilling. Bourbon goes so well during the cook. I love a mild summer night, the smoker chugging away, sitting on the deck with a nice pour of Bourbon...that is a great evening.

I grilled and BBQ'd for several years before I discovered a taste for Bourbon, it has rounded out the hobby perfectly.

I got around to reading the recipe and will try it next week. I didn't think of worcestershire sauce and that does add great flavor to meats. Next week I will use beef. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.