Calling Elliot Ness...

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Americans of a certain age first learned of Prohibition by watching the TV show, "The Untouchables", back in the late 1950's, if I recall correctly.

My most vivid memories of that show are those in which a grimly smug Robert Stack (a former world champion trap and skeet shooter, BTW), as Elliot Ness, led his men on an ax-swinging assault on rows of innocent barrels of whiskey in some mobster's warehouse. The axes swung, barrels were rent, and whiskey burst forth in a veritable river. It flowed out the door, into the steet, and down the gutter. (At least one might take consolation today in the fact that much of it was Canadian or scotch.)

Although I had yet to take my first sip of alcohol at that time, it still struck me as a terrible waste. After all, someone had (I assumed) put a lot of effort into making that whiskey, and it would bring enjoyment to someone, somewhere, if given a chance. It wasn't the whiskey's fault that it ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Well, I feel somewhat the same way about my bottle of present-day Old Fitzgerald BIB, whose objectionable qualities I have detailed in an earlier post. The difference is that this bourbon is not going to bring me enjoyment; maybe it deserves to flow into the gutter.

I gave it a second chance today. The nose is intriquing in its caramel oiliness. The taste carries on and is not altogether unpleasant. The finish explodes into a flaming horror that becomes a lingering bitterness, makes the roof of my mouth instantly dry and parched, and screams for a chaser of just about anything to relieve the displeasure. In contrast, a bottle of Old Forrester 86 that I opened today for comparison purposes is a decent drink, even if it did cost a mere $12.99. It's nose is not as appealing as the Old Fitz, but it has a unique character on the tongue, it goes down smoothly, and it has a pleasant finish.

Not only will I not drink any more of my particular bottle of Old Fitz, I've decided that I wouldn't even risk using it in bourbon balls. Neveretheless, I can't quite bring myself to dump it. Maybe its my basically thrifty nature (this from someone who has bought Blanton's, Kentucky Spirit, and Rock Hill Farms in the last few months). Maybe it's my memory of Dad's many cautionary tales that began, "Back during The Great Depression, we used to..." ("Eat bread fried in yesterday's bacon drippings" was one of his favorites.) Maybe it's my memory of 'ol Elliot, having just a bit too much fun himself as he spoiled the fun for other people.

When was the last time you dumped a bottle of bourbon? Did you agonize over the decision? And while we're at it, what brand and bottling was it?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

"When was the last time you dumped a bottle of bourbon? Did you agonize over the decision? And while we're at it, what brand and bottling was it?"

Never dump bourbon. Ever. Just set it aside & give it away someday, there's always a thirsty man somewhere. When word gets out that you've got a 'bourbon collection' you'll have more friends than you can imagine. Some of those friends will really LIKE Old Fitz...I know I do shocked.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Bash it over W.L.Weller's head! The very last bottle of Stitzel-Weller whiskey I'll ever buy is still in the cabinet and still sucks to to high heavens! It's almost as bad as the very best sc**ch! frown.gif

Sorry, Dave, I can't ever remember actually dumping a bottle of bourbon. However, I do have an old half-remaining bottle of cinnamon schnaps that is so bad, I don't know what to do with it. Still, I can't bring myself to dump it. Surely it must be good for something confused.gif

Tim

Some (non-bourbon) drinkers like cinnamon schnaps and Coke.

I've never poured out a bottle of bourbon. I've only poured out a bottle of bad Scotch. (Lynn, I know this sounds redundant to you).

TexasCarl Says: "Never dump bourbon. Ever. Just set it aside & give it away someday, there's always a thirsty man somewhere. When word gets out that you've got a 'bourbon collection' you'll have more friends than you can imagine. Some of those friends will really LIKE Old Fitz...I know I do."

Hey Dave!! Seal that bottle up and mail it to me!! I cant get any of that stuff in Communist Ohio. I'll take a crack at it, hell I might even like it, who knows?!?!?!? wink.gifwink.gifcool.gif

TomC

PS The Great Lakes Brewing Company, in Cleveland make absolutely one of the best micro-brewed lagers I have tried, and has named it, amusingly "The Eliot Ness"!!!

Try it sometime, it is SUBLIME with pizza!

>When was the last time you dumped a bottle of bourbon? Did you agonize over

>the decision? And while we're at it, what brand and bottling was it?

Dumping bourbon? Setting aside the sacreligous aspects of such an act,

it's a bit wasteful. Even the worst bourbon makes:

1) A great solvent for the gummy glue that's often left behind

on things after you try to take off the price tag

2) A nice fuel (fondue anyone?)

3) A good marinade ingredient

4) The perfect aftershave (why, no, officer, I haven't been drinking...)

5) A great way to get charcoal grills really going

6) Why spend money on windshield wiper fluid?

7) Add it to a pail of water, use it to wash the dog

8) Use it to clean out the coffee maker

9) Take it as a challenge to make it drinkable: add raisins, tea leaves,

mint leaves, orange peel, activated carbon

10) Pour it on the ground "for all the dead homies"

11) Re-distill ! (BATF won't prosecute if your

still is less than 1 gallon)

12) Add 750 mL ethanol, 750 mL water, and 2 tablespoons of

orange juice. Voila! Canadian whisky!

Tim

10) Pour it on the ground "for all the dead homies"

LoL! word up, mofo!

12) Add 750 mL ethanol, 750 mL water, and 2 tablespoons of

orange juice. Voila! Canadian whisky!

I couldnt bring myself to do that to the most vile bourbon!!

Dude, that was hysterical!!

Tom (dyin of laughter, here!) C

Elliot Ness wound up in Cleveland after his 'adventures' in Chicago, if you're interested, author Max Allen Collins has some well researched detective novels where his fictional hero Nathan Heller is good friends with the real life Ness. If you like 'hard boiled' detective stories, these Nate Heller books by Collins are worth your time. And if you're interested in Ness..the books explain some of the reasons why he fell from the public eye after becoming notorious for his war with Capone & Nitti. Look for 'True Detective' and 'Stolen Away'. These books are full of American history that never gets taught in school, it's interesting stuff, IMHO.

I have been on a book binge as of late and adding fuel to the fire is defiately not a bad thing! Thanx for the suggestions I will have to poke around at the library when I return this batch of books and see what they have.

Evidently Ness was "safety director" in Cleveland after leaving Chicago and the reason they named the beer after him is that the Brewpub is in a restored "speakeasy" type bar and that Ness's raid is responsible for the Bullet Holes that still adorn the walls.

Tom (the BookWorm) C

<font color="#666666"> PS Old Fitz Old Fitz Old Fitz. . . . . ooo.gif </font color>

Offtopic, but have you read Stephen King's recent collection of short stories, Everything's Eventual? There is a great story in it (among several great stories), a fictionalized account of John Dillinger's last days. I highly recommend it.

Tim

I havent but my wife loves King, and so I will have to see if it is lying around here somewhere. . .. smile.gif

Tom (The Patriotic) C

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.