Good Old Lucky Strike Striaghts

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For me back in the day when I smoked it was Lucky Strike straights and Phila Cheroots Cigars! I started smoking early and quit early. I started smoking at 13 years old got sick at 19 just before I started at Kinsey and quit I was smoking 4 packs a day then and a couple of Cigars so I smoked enough for a life time and lucky I am around as had Asthma back at 5 yrs old and have it back now at 60 yrs old. But I tried many kinds of Cigs and Luckys were always my Favorite with Pal Mal next!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

======================================

I was never a big fan of Lucky Strike however I used to love Pall Mall unfiltered. I got tired of people telling me about how if I was going to smoke that I should at least be smoking filtered cigarettes so I switched to Camel Filters which I actually came like better, when I tried a random pack of Pall Mall a few months later they didn't taste the same to me, they weren't nearly as good as I remembered. I still smoke Camel Filters but they've changed ("remastered") the blend and now they kinda suck compared to the way they used to be. It's been making me think about quitting but there are still Camel "dusties" to be found that haven't gone stale yet.

To make matters worse there is now legislation in many states which requires cigarettes to be "fire safe". Aside from sounding completely asinine this legislation also makes the cigarettes taste worse and not burn as good. So, thanks to busybodies who probably don't smoke, cigarette smoking is on it's way to being completely ruined; they couldn't just be happy with ruining the bar experience for smokers in most states. I'm sure if you picked up smoking again today your memory of your favorite brand would be forever tarnished because I think these "fire safe" cigarettes are mandatory in PA now. And then there is the gigantic price increase that has probably occurred since you last smoked...

In light of all this bullshit and as a "Screw you!" to greedy old Uncle Sam I'm going to try my hand at growing my own tobacco this year; I got 3 different types of seeds (Kentucky Burley, Sacred Shamanic (Nicotiana Rustica), and Scherazi (Iranian)) and will probably try to start them this week. All I gotta do, assuming they grow, is find an easy way and place to cure the tobacco once it's grown and picked and hope I can get a good blend with what I got (I know nothing about this so it's really a shot in the dark...). I encourage all cigarette smokers to do the same!

While I did not smoke them, regularly, my favorite cigarettes were unfiltered Camels and Chesterfields. I, too, started and quit smoking at young ages. I started at seven (and my little brother started at five). I quit as a New Year resolution on Jan 1, 1973 at age 21.

Later on, I had passing infatuations with chewing tobacco and, most recently, cigars, but I have been completely tobacco free for at least 10 years, now.

Tim

Never a fan of Lucky Strikes except when they showed up in the C-rats when I was out. Started on Camels, did Phillip Morris Commanders for a few years and ended up on Parliaments until I went cold turkey on July 10th, 2001 after 32 years or so. Still good so far.

I used to like cigarettes a lot. I always knew of their danger, but was captured early, possibly by some of the advertising, but also almost half the population at the time smoked, so it seemed the thing to do.

I started with menthol cigarettes for some reason. Craven A Menthol and Kool when in the U.S.

The U.S. offered the chance to try the pungent American blends (with its element of Turkish tobaccos - the Canadian taste was based on Ontario-grown Virginia tobaccos which had a flatter, different taste). I tried Camels in all forms, Luckies, Parliament (oddly, a British name but I am quite sure I bought these in the States), Pall Mall (also a British name but a very American, strong cigarette) and Kents, which I liked the best I think.

In Canada it was Rothman's, Export A hand-rolled on camping trips, Du Maurier ("for real smoking pleasure"), and later Vantage, a Reynolds brand made in Canada.

When in England I liked their Silk Cut and Lambert & Butler.

I liked smoking but I was also rather afraid of it. After school days, I tried to limit it to half a pack a day and little if any on the weekends. In my 30's, I stopped 3 times for periods of up to 3 years, and finally stopped for good at 41 after a terrible cold.

Today, I couldn't see doing it again, I had my day with it. But I enjoyed it while I did it and hoped it didn't do any (or very much) lasting damage. Oddly perhaps, I could never get the cigar thing. I still don't like them and smile manfully when all my SB colleagues and friends puff away at Gazebos. It is so much a part of Gazebo now that when I smell a cigar here it reminds me of - Gazebo!

Gary

I have never had a processed tobacco product in my mouth. Best I can do is having chewed on a tobacco leaf while helping the school custodian strip his tobacco crop back in early-Spring, 1990-ish.

My dad, however, was a WWII ration-recipient who became a 2-pack-a-day smoker through all of my childhood. Raleighs mostly, and he collected the coupons for an occasional 'premium'. He probably didn't come out ahead, since smoking killed him. He died at 60 about 19 months after the removal of his cancerous lung -- the tumor was too large to remove by itself, and had spread to other organs.

Anyway, as cigarettes were common around our house growing up, I can remember seeing every other family member -- including Mom and my younger sister, who died at 18 -- at least once or twice with a cigarette in hand/mouth. I do not lord it over anyone that I've chosen never to partake -- I am libertarian regarding smokers' rights.

So, anyway, I'm a life-long non-smoker well-versed in many tobacco brands, as I grew up with the historic ones. I haven't seen one named yet I do not know.

While I did not smoke them, regularly, my favorite cigarettes were unfiltered Camels and Chesterfields.

The citation of Chesterfields in that statement was erroneous. While I do remember enjoying Chesterfields, occasionally, the other favorite was Philip Morris Commanders. What a rich flavor!

Sorry, all of that was over 35 years ago. My memory fools me, sometimes.

Philip Morris did have a strong, distinctive taste. I recall now too Chesterfield and Raleigh. They seem, now, associated to a completely by-gone time.

I was sorry to hear, Tim S., of the untimely passing of the relations you mentioned.

Gary

I remember whenever I was around people that bumed My Cigarettes I would always smoke Camels or Chesterfields, seems for all the people that liked them there were allot that didn't. It worked most times they would go bum someone else's! Lucky was always my favorite but at age 19 I started coughing blood and the Doctor told me quit or you will be in trouble so I quit cold turkey from 3 to 4 packs a day and never smoked again. My Asthma makes me get sick when I smell them now!

Dave Z

=======================================

Dave Z

======================================

I remember whenever I was around people that bumed My Cigarettes I would always smoke Camels or Chesterfields, seems for all the people that liked them there were allot that didn't. It worked most times they would go bum someone else's!

I get that a lot too, sometimes because they're Camel's and others because they're non-menthol. I pretty much always have cigarettes on me but when I do bum I take what I can get.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.