DSP #s

Giobo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone in Bourbon Land have a listing of the DSP #'s that appear on bourbon labels and the corresponding distilleries

to which these DSP #'s belong? I have contacted the Beaureau of ATF 6 months ago but have not yet received a response.

I think this website is fantastic for any bourbon fan.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

DSP#s are the Distilled Spirits Producer Number used by the government to register distilleries. The problem is that they can change through the years. A distillery is registered by the district in each state and given a number: for example the Bernheim distillery is DSP#1 in the 7th district of Kentucky. The old Stitzel Distillery in Louisville was DSP#16. When Stitzel-Weller was opened they sold the distillery to Four Roses and the DSP# had to stay at the old distillery so they took DSP#17. If they had closed and dismantled the old distillery they could have kept their old number of 16. This means that for old bottles of whiskey you need a list from the period that the whiskey was made. I have several lists from before and after prohibition so if you have specific distilleries and dates in mind I may be able to help you with placing a distillery with a bottle.

Mike Veach

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I should have surmised that if the government was involved, it was bound to be super complicated. If I have specific questions regarding a bottle with a DSP#, I'll contact you. You offer a great resource. As I said in my initial post, the ATF was totally unresponsive. Trying to find out who makes what in the bourbon business makes finding Blackbeard's treasure look easy.

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.