Nice Round Numbers

texascarl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Someone asked me 'just how many different bottles of bourbon do you have' this week, so I counted 'em...it had never occurred to me to do so before. I came up with 29, which motivates me to go find a bottle of something new. I think we can all agree that 30 bottles of bourbon on the wall sounds far better than a mere 29. I'm particularly fond of numbers divisable by 10, so if I somehow wind up with 31...I'll just see if I can't chug along towards 40 (I never retreat, tho I have backspaced a time or two. smirk.gif )

It's funny how that works. When you get to 40 then suddenly 50 will seem like a nice round number. I remember when I had about 9 bottles of bourbon and really thinking I had a stock laid in! Getting a bottle of Blanton's was my first order of business and only did that recently( in the last year) I kept walking passed it to get other things.

I am Sitting at 15 at the moment with 20 being the goal if I have storage space (liquor cabinet is getting pretty damn full), I figure to have the goal in Sept @ bardstown. Sadly no Blanton's on the shelf for weeks here in Ohio so I will just have to wait till I get to Bobby's for more wink.gif !

TomC

Show us the list!

But, is this 29 bottles with some bourbon left in them? None of these are empty display bottles?

I feel completely outclassed! I "only" have 10 different bottles with some remaining bourbon in them. Can I count the four other bottles I have in storage (duplicates of the original 10) or the five bottles my parents are holding for me (again, duplicates)? If so, that brings me to 19 and I feel much better. Wait! I have two display bottles - my empty Pappy 20 yo and my pewter top WT Kentucky Spirit. Am I up to 21 bottles now? ;-)

Oh yeah, they've all got whiskey in 'em. Let's see, here's the inventory. Elijah Craig 12 year, Old Fitz BIB, Old Fitz 1849, David Nicholson 1843, Noahs Mill, Blantons, Corner Creek, Old Forester 86 and O.F. 100, Jim Beam Black, Knob Creek, Rebel Yell, Old Charter 8, OC 10, OC 12 'The Classic', Evan Williams Single Barrel '90 and 91, Evan Williams 7 yr, Ten High, Ancient Age, Ancient Age '10 Star', Wild Turkey 101, WT Kentucky Spirit, WT Russell's Reserve, WT Rare Breed, Makers Mark, Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Van Winkle 10 year, Ezra Brooks 7 yr, W.L. Wellers 107, W.L Wellers 12 yr, Old Grand-dad BIB, Old Grand-dad 114. And today I was inspired to go out and buy a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old 'lot B'. (And leave us not forget the rye...a bottle of Sazerac 18 yr rye, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 yr, Old Overholt and Wild Turkey Rye)

Counting the Rye, it comes out to around 40 this time...I must have screwed up somewhere, oh well. I probably won't go dry for a little while, but this isn't much of a 'collection' as far as that goes. Since I quit smoking ~ 16 months ago I've gone out every week and spent my 'cigareet money' on good wines & even better bourbon. I don't have much space left on the shelves, so recently I started just buying more pocketknives for my collection. I've sorta got my eye on one of those 45/70 Marlin 'guide guns', I calculate that to be about 8 weeks worth of 'cigareet money'. I think I might need one, you never know when a polar bear might start rampaging around Kansas City. smirk.gif

Very off topic, but I just noticed your quote from King Leonidas to Xerxes. I presume this was just prior to the battle of Thermapole(sp?) but I had not heard this quote. Come and get what?

now that we have one, does anyone else care to share what they have (I just find stuff like this fascinating), mine are as follows:

1)WT Russell's Reserve 10 Year

2)WT Rare Breed

3)Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year

4)Elijah Craig 12 Year

5)Evan Williams Vintage '90

6)Old Forester 86 Proof

7)Evan Williams 7 Year, 90 Proof

8)Maker's Mark

9)Virginia Gentleman 90 Proof "The Fox"

10)Blanton's (only 1/2 shot so I dunno if it counts)

11)Woodford Reserve Distillers Select

12)Old Ezra 7 Year

13) Jim Beam Black

Plus The 2 Tennesee Whiskey's:

14) Jack Daniels Old #7

15) George Dickel #12

Well there you have it (not including "archived bottles" of EWSB or empties)

Tom (Bourbon Collector) C

The King of Kings Xerxes at the head of his 600,000 man army offered Leonidas and his 300 Spartans and their Theban allies their lives if they would surrender their weapons. Leonidas shouted back 'Molon Labe' (mo-LONE lah-VEH) or 'Come and get them'. As you know, during the fight at 'the Hot Gates' they held up the Persian advance for only a few days, but their courage and sacrifice mobilized the rest of Greece as nothing else could. The combined arms of Hellas defeated the greatest army and navy that the world had ever seen...and we got a Western, not an Eastern civilization for the past 2500 years. Just goes to show what guts and a little sassmouth can do.

So far I'm exercising restraint where the Blanton's is concerned . I just looked at it and it has more in the bottle than I remember. , just under the top of the label. I saw 3 empty Blanton's bottles at a flea market for 5 bucks each! If I knew I could get 5 for each one I emptied that would be a 10-12% discount ! I guess the main point here is ,they still have them.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Confederate Major Gen'l Leonidas Polk was a classmate of Confederate States President Jefferson Davis at West Point, and an ordained Bishop of the Episcopal Church. Polk rightly concluded that the Yankees under U.S. Grant would soon ouccupy Kentucky. Taking the the second corp of the the Confederate Army of Tennessee Polk took as much of Kentucky as he could hold. There was some fighting, but Polk's 7,500 men and brass smooth bore cannon could not hold against Grant's 75,000 man army and ductile iron rifled guns.

Leonidas Polk led a fearsome attack against Union Gen'l George H. Thomas at Chickamagua on Setp. 19, 1863. Thomas held and became known as the 'Rock of Chickamagua'. Every other Yankee Gen'l fled the field and became known as 'just another coward'.

While fighting Union Gen'l W.T. Sherman outside of Merrieta, Georgia in 1864 Leonidas Polk was struck dead by a Union artillery shell as he defended Atlanta to his very death. "...The memories of the heroic dead, who have freely given their lives in it's defense, must ever remain enshrined in our hearts..." ==> the last proclaimation of C.S.A. President Jefferson Davis made from the last capital of the Confederacy in Danville, Virginia on April 4th, 1865.

That's a fine piece of history there, Linn. I wonder if Gen. Polk knew of his namesake's stand at "the gates of fire" in Greece...Let's remember that whiskey has always been associated with liberty in this country. Our Whiskey Rebellion had many characteristics of the stand at Thermopylae, not the least of which was the preservation of democratic values despite apparent defeat.

Ralph Wilps

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

We mightn't have won, but I'm sure old Gen'l Leondais P. did realize the source of his namesake and perhaps his fate. Let's give a big ol' HUZZAH! to all the Confederate heros.

The safe bet is certainly that he was intimately familiar with his namesake. My Alma Mater (West Point) has always been particularly adept at imparting that type of inspirational knowledge of military history.

On a side note, I always get a lump in my throat when I think of classmates leading armies against each other in a valiant cause. Of the 60 major battles of the Civil War, a West Pointer comanded on both sides of 55 and on one side the remaining 5 battles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.