Help a Newb out

Scoots
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm really enjoying my entry into the world of bourbon - so many fine bourbons for me to sample and enjoy!!! I'm also enjoying reading the posts in this forum, particularly the history of bourbon, the distilleries, and a few of our fellow Straight Boubon members who worked in those distilleries.

Somehow, I bumbled into the following internet book, "The Book of Classic American Whiskeys" at this link : http://books.google.com/books?id=93geJgMWt0IC&printsec=frontcover&dq=iron+free+limestone+water+areas#PPP1,M1

This was a fun read, so I'm listing a number of books on bourbon that I have found and would like to hear your recommendations for my next read, and I Thank You for it!

Bourbon at its Best: The Lore and Allure of America's Finest Spirits by Ron Givens

Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey by Charles K. Cowdery

Kentucky Bourbon: The Early Years of Whiskeymaking by Henry G. Crowgey

But Always Fine Bourbon : Pappy Van Winkle and the Story of Old Fitzgerald by Sally Van Winkle

The Book of Bourbon: And Other Fine American Whiskeys - I'm going to have to pass on this one $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Bourbon Companion: A Connoisseur's Guide by Gary Regan

Classic Bourbon. Tennessee and Rye Whiskey by Jim Murray and Walter Schobert

I'm a Newb, so if I left out your favorite read please post it.

There are lots of bourbon books. Some are really helpful others only help in confusing some issues.

If I were to recommend a direction....it would be to hit some factual books first. They will help you keep some of the marketing fluff out of the ol' memorybank.

The first two are Cecils history book and Cowdery's bourbon handbook. Cecil gives up alot of history and background while Chuck gets you ready to taste and understand what your tasting. Both cover some mutual ground and are invaluable to beginers and old schoolers alike.

The rest of the group of books are good reads. Keep your eyes peeled over at your public library....many will be there and at university libraries as well.

Somehow, I bumbled into the following internet book, "The Book of Classic American Whiskeys" at this link : http://books.google.com/books?id=93geJgMWt0IC&printsec=frontcover&dq=iron+free+limestone+water+areas#PPP1,M1

This was a fun read, so I'm listing a number of books on bourbon that I have found and would like to hear your recommendations for my next read, and I Thank You for it!

Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey by Charles K. Cowdery

Kentucky Bourbon: The Early Years of Whiskeymaking by Henry G. Crowgey

But Always Fine Bourbon : Pappy Van Winkle and the Story of Old Fitzgerald by Sally Van Winkle

I'm a Newb, so if I left out your favorite read please post it.

What really got me into Bourbon big-time was the Classic American Whiskeys book. I picked it up in used bookstore on a lark and just loved it.

My next purchase book-wise will probably be Bourbon, Straight. The author happens to be a long-time, very active member here as well.

Chuck Cowdery is one of the finest fellows around and one of the most knowledgeable about bourbon. Buy it next and I think you'll really feel you get an insiders feel for bourbon. When you want a really interesting book with a strong historical perspective (1) buy some VanWinkle bourbon and (2) buy Sally's book, "But always fine bourbon." Sip the bourbon, read the book. It was the type of book that I just wanted to keep reading.

I've read the Cowdery book and I'm most of the way through the Van Winkle book and I recommend both.

Chuck Cowdery is one of the finest fellows around and one of the most knowledgeable about bourbon. Buy it next and I think you'll really feel you get an insiders feel for bourbon.

Thanks to Cam I have read Chuck's book, and plan to buy it myself when I get off my lazy ass one day! It is a great informative insight to the world of bourbon.

When you want a really interesting book with a strong historical perspective (1) buy some VanWinkle bourbon and (2) buy Sally's book, "But always fine bourbon." Sip the bourbon, read the book. It was the type of book that I just wanted to keep reading.
I couldn't agree more. I didn't want to put the book down when I got it - it is full of great stories that make you laugh, and contains the history of a family who have been in the business of making and bottling 'fine bourbon' for decades, and continue to do so today.

Scott

I agree with the others here. Buy Chuck's book and you won't regret it. It's a great book. I can't get into books that get too technical or get into things you can't understand. Chuck's book is what I call an "easy" read. He gets into the subject and gives you a lot of information without making you feel dumb or lost. Another book you might want to take a look at is, Bourbon At It's Best, by Ron Givens. Not a bad book, and it has some good pictures. Joe

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

I bumbled into a used copy of "Whiskey: An American Pictorial History", by Oscar Getz. It was in terrific condition, and for only $8.00, I had to pick it up! :grin:

My first bourbon book purchase and I'm looking forward to a few more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.