Percentage of Rye

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm sipping some Old Overholt on the rocks right now; I keep hoping I'll learn to like it. (Chuck, I'm on the verge of agreeing with you; the taste that I don't like reminds me of a mouthful of Big Muddy River water, a comparison I had never thought of until you mentioned "mud".)

As I started to take my first sip, I was struck by the similarity of the nose to that of Old Grand Dad BIB. I know that bourbon has to be at least 51% corn and rye has to be at least 51% rye, but that opens up an interesting possibility. For all I know, the mashbills for OH and OGD could be extremely similar, say on the order of 51/44/5 (corn/rye/malt) for OGD vs. 44/51/5 for OH.

Does anyone know the mashbills for these two whiskies? I'm guessing that they are not all that close. I actually like Old Grand Dad a little bit.

Dang, I can't finish this stuff. Maybe a little EC12 will get the taste out of my mouth.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I know that OGD has a very high rye content for a bourbon (the higest??) so that the comparisons may be justified.

TomC

Dave, you're not required to drink $10 rye on the rocks...if you don't like it straight then mix it, man, like Grand-daddy did. Chill a bottle of Stewarts Ginger Beer, in a tall glass add 3 ice cubes. Pour 2 oz of Old Overholt over the ice, fill with Ginger Beer. Enjoy your classic Rye and Ginger. (Stewarts is worth searching for, but Ginger Ale will do in a pinch)

Or make a Sazerac, like Great-Grandpappy did. Pour a long dash of Pernod or Herbsaint in an 'Old Fashioned' glass, swirl it around to coat the inside of the glass. In a cocktail shaker add a dash of Peychauds bitters, 1 oz of simple syrup and 2 oz of Old Overholt. Shake with cracked ice, strain into the absinthe-flavored glass. Chase with a tall glass of lemon & water. Enjoy.

Hi guys:

I talked to some "suits" from Jim Beam 2 years ago at a Whiskyfest in NY. From them and from other sources I have the same information. OGD's mashbill is 63% corn, 27% rye and 10% barley malt - the same as Basil Hayden, but no other Beam product. I think that's the highest rye percentage for any bourbon. As I recall, Old Overholt has the highest rye content for any of the budget ryes (WT, Jim Beam, and a couple of old Maryland ryes) - surprising, because it has a softer, blander taste to me than Beam or WT rye. It's been described as "creamy" in some threads.

Ralph Wilps

Molon Labe, indeed, Carl. I'll bet if Leonidas and the boys would have been around 200 years ago, they'd have been right here in the Monongahela valley leading the Whiskey Rebellion. Good rye makes good men all think alike!

Ralph Wilps

• 1 month later...

Well, I didn't find Stewart's, but I just had a tall, cool one with another brand. The ginger was so strong that I wondered whether I had forgotten the rye. (I would have sworn I measured out three ounces.) After a few minutes the tingle on my cheeks assured me that I had not.

About that time I looked up at the TV and saw Jimmy Connors playing Aaron Krickstein in the U.S. Open. "Wow!", I thought, "This drink must be stronger than I thought".

It turned out that they were rebroadcasting a match from 1991 because today's matches were delayed by rain.

Oh, my reason for wanting an iced drink is that it's close to 100 degrees here in Long Beach today, the first time it's been over 90 degrees all year. We often get our hot weather in September, just as the rest of the country is starting to cool and you're breaking out the Knob Creek and the snifters.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Now yer cooking, amigo! A good strong Rye and Ginger is a great way to cool off in hot weather (we could sing a chorus of 'White Port and Lemon Juice' here as well)

Just so you know what Stewarts looks like:

Ginger Ales and Ginger Beers

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

no...no..no... "You put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both up. You put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both together. You put the lime in the coconut and then you feel bettah." grin.gif

I don't know the answer to your question exactly, but I have been told that while bourbons typically exceed the 51% requirement substantially, most ryes barely meet it. One reason for this is that rye costs a lot more than corn.

Dateline Camp Winslow: Classic Stewart's & Rye (First time with this spirit, will report more later). Situation: Teeth numb... It appears ol' Uncle Ed got the recipie wrong. I've been doing three ounces per glass. As of number three...BLEEEE.

That's all I've got.

You're all the best,

Winslow

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.