Sazerac Rye; what to expect?

SippinJim
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I currently am drinking Buffalo Trace neat. I enjoy its smoothness and overall taste. Today while at my local store I spotted a bottle of Sazerac Rye so I put it in my cart. I have never tasted rye so I was wondering from those on the board; what should I expect in taste difference? I know it will not be like Buffalo Trace or any other bourbon for that matter but I thought I'd put the question out there.

It wopuld depend on which Sazerac you picked up. I did a review of the fall 2003 18 yo version here and there is also a 6 yo version which I haven't gotten around to reviewing yet but you can find plenty of info on either on this board.

It wopuld depend on which Sazerac you picked up. I did a review of the fall 2003 18 yo version here and there is also a 6 yo version which I haven't gotten around to reviewing yet but you can find plenty of info on either on this board.

It just says "Sazerac Rye Whiskey". I paid $27 for it if that helps you.

Thanks

It just says "Sazerac Rye Whiskey". I paid $27 for it if that helps you.

Thanks

Six years old.....Expect light carmel, subdued clove like spice and, to me, anyway, a certain damascus or "the pages of an old book" quality. Of course, your mileage may vary.

If you want an amped up version, get a bottle of Thomas Handy, more everything, especially spice.

I would add that "Saz Jr" also has the Buffalo Trace house mustiness to it. Some find it a bit offensive and difficult. I look forward to it.

I just tried Saz for the first time last night, and I found it to be smooth yet spicy and wonderfully balanced.

In truth, I am beginning to like rye more than bourbon.

I don't know if I like it more, but I know that I am building a strong appreciation for it. I've got four in the cabinet (Saz18 and Jr, Templeton and RR) and two more on the way (Ritt BIB and WT).

I should grab another Baby Saz before Ohio runs out (just three left in the state). I could easily see that as a daily pour.

• 2 months later...

I've not been reading or posting much lately here, so forgive me if this is well-covered terrain: is there a shortage of this product right now? I ask because the local chains only have a handful of bottles on hand. I stopped into THE discount warehouse place today and the stock they had was $37 (by comparison, Weller 12 is $17 there). Is this just a confluence of a local shortage and a mispriced shelf label, or is there a true shortage on?

Regards,

Baby Saz took me some getting used to, but once I did I found that it had grown on me in a big way.

My previous big rye experiences were Jim Beam Rye (not really impressed), Wild Turkey (honeycomb, similar in style to the bourbon yet different), and Rittenhouse Bottled In Bond which is not only rich and flavorful but about $13 a bottle to boot, making it one of the top values in whiskey. But none of them were like Baby Saz.

I keep likening Baby Saz to Irish pot still - think Redbreast or a blend high in pot still such as Powers - an immense fruity character with a bit of cool brittleness. It has a cinnamon-clove spicy character as well. As I've written elsewhere, Overholt has a slightly similar character but at only 80 proof it doesn't really shine. Baby Saz makes you forget that it's 90 proof.

It's not rye as I've known it, and thus it's something I try to keep on hand when it's available. Makes me wonder what life was like before prohibition, when there were all kinds of different ryes available from Pennsylvania, Maryland, Kentucky, Ohio and elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
I've not been reading or posting much lately here, so forgive me if this is well-covered terrain: is there a shortage of this product right now?

Regards,

I have wondered the same thing.. good question. Does anyone have any insight into this?

I've been curiuos about the Handy for some time and wonder if it's really worth the price? I guess there is only one way to find out. How about the other 18 & 21 yr olds? How do they rate top 10?

I've been curiuos about the Handy for some time and wonder if it's really worth the price? I guess there is only one way to find out. How about the other 18 & 21 yr olds? How do they rate top 10?

BB, the Handy has pretty much jumped to the top of the Antique Collection Everest, IMO. Wow, what a rye. To me, it's worth twice as much as the $60+ price tag it carries.

BB, the Handy has pretty much jumped to the top of the Antique Collection Everest, IMO. Wow, what a rye. To me, it's worth twice as much as the $60+ price tag it carries.

Are you talking about the the barrel proof Thomas H. Handy 8yo 132.7 proof, or the Sazerac 18yo? This website shows the Handy but if enlarged shows the Sazerac 18yo. BTW, I can get either for $51 in Oaklawn, IL. Between the two of these, which one do you like better?

http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-rye-thomas-h-handy-sazerac.htm

Are you talking about the the barrel proof Thomas H. Handy 8yo 132.7 proof, or the Sazerac 18yo? This website shows the Handy but if enlarged shows the Sazerac 18yo. BTW, I can get either for $51 in Oaklawn, IL.

http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-rye-thomas-h-handy-sazerac.htm

I was referring to the Handy that you were wondering about in the earlier post. $51 is a great price.

• 4 weeks later...

this is the bottle i am most excited about and look forward to getting tomorrow...had our heater not gone out (hundreds spent there...), i'd grab up stagg and eagle and...and...and...

anyways, found this interesting link...maybe it has already been posted...

http://skeltoac.com/2008/11/07/thomas-handy-sazerac-straight-rye-whiskey/

Thanks for the heads up guys. I picked mine up and it's everything people have said. It gave me the confidence without ever tasting it to shell out $51 for a great bottle of Rye. It will be a very good christmas this year. Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.