A new Rye from Beam?

Dr. François
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

John Hansell (Malt Advocate) indicates that Beam may release a new rye this fall (2008).

http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/08/08/jim-beam-introducing-new-rye-ri1/

The name: ri(1) . Seriously. How does one pronounce this? Rye-One?

I know Beam Rye has some fans on this site. I'm not one of them. Does anyone have faith that this spirit will be significantly different than the other two Beam Rye products (BR and OO), which taste strangely identical?

Are we looking at Rye Whiskey Atonement or the latest batch of Beam Marketing?

Well, as a rye fiend, I look forward to trying this. While Beam may take a lot of flack, I don't doubt their ability to make quality products. I just hope that this one is every bit as exciting inside the bottle as outside.

It has been a long time since Beam came out with any new products that would excite the American whiskey market...seriously, what was the last new release from them? Distiller's Masterpiece?

Well, as a rye fiend, I look forward to trying this. While Beam may take a lot of flack, I don't doubt their ability to make quality products. I just hope that this one is every bit as exciting inside the bottle as outside.

It has been a long time since Beam came out with any new products that would excite the American whiskey market...seriously, what was the last new release from them? Distiller's Masterpiece?

I agree that they can out out great whiskey. I love Bookers. I wonder if it's like they are so big it's hard to concentrate on the smaller upscale market. Maybe they should put together an off shoot group within Beam that has the resources to focus on this area. It almost like they are soo big that it's hard for them to do the specialty stuff operationally. Maybe others here have a better understanding of how Beam operates that can shed some light. I'd love to have more offerings from them.

Greg

Good to see this and long overdue IMO, I hope it's interesting.

By the way, has anyone heard of a new wheat whisky from Heaven Hill, a 51%+ wheat mash which apparently is sold in a tubular bottle? I saw this on the list of a store in Europe not long ago online but can't find the link.

The bottle looked modernistic. Not sure if I have all of the details right.

Gary

I was told about a year ago by someone who worked for Beam that they were planning a "high-end version of Old Overholt." I was specifically told that it would be an attempt to compete with Sazerac rye (Jr., not 18). I'd given up hope that it was actually going to happen. This is great news.

Regards,

I did find that link and on re-reading it's clear it is Bernheim Wheat 90 proof, the one we are familiar with (not a new product then).

Incidentally Bernheim Wheat is an excellent product and recent bottlings are IMO better and more flavorful than the first release. Possibly it's the same distillation but with more age on it.

Gary

Completely as an aside: I tend to hoard my rye bottlings a bit more than the hard-to-find bourbons. For example, I might open a '50s VOF at the next gathering of SB.com'ers following obtaining it, but I'm hard-pressed to EVER open a VWFRR, or Ritt 21 (of which I still have a pair each). My ORVW Old Time Rye has been 40% full forever -- not because I don't like it, but because I DO, and it's the last one I have -- and I sniff it occasionally to note any change that may have occurred (and, now that I'm thinking about it, will transfer it to a smaller bottle as soon as I submit this post!). (Mission accomplished.)

In other words, I love straight rye, but it's not that easy to obtain. Alas, the JB rye doesn't interest me that much, except as mixer, for which it is quite acceptable, as is Old Overholt. So, what to do about his one?..:skep:

This sounds very exciting :cool: I only pray it is released on a global scale and not kept to a single market. Australia is long overdue for a 2nd nationally available American Rye (Beam Yellow Label is our only one)

I always applaud the effort of any distillery to introduce new products, although I may not always applaud their finished product. That said, the only thing I ask from Beam is a RYE. A REAL RYE. A hit me in the nose and make my eyes water RYE! I don't want a rye that is easy to drink. Got enough of them. I don't want a rye that I can hardly distinguish from most bourbons. Got enough of them, too. I want distinction. I want rye flavor. Rye should sizzle. I want something I can say "WOW! to. Give me that, Beam, and you will have a fan, and my money. Now, just my opinion...but RRR failed. I hope you can do better...I really WANT you to do better.

JOE

What proof is this new rye supposed to be? I heard a rumor a while back it was going to be 100 proof!

Thomas

This sounds very exciting :cool: I only pray it is released on a global scale and not kept to a single market. Australia is long overdue for a 2nd nationally available American Rye (Beam Yellow Label is our only one)

Cam,

I was told the other day (from a reliable source:cool:) we should have WT Rye back on our shelves within a month. Happy days!

I too hope this new rye from Beam makes it down under.

Scott

I always applaud the effort of any distillery to introduce new products, although I may not always applaud their finished product. That said, the only thing I ask from Beam is a RYE. A REAL RYE. A hit me in the nose and make my eyes water RYE! I don't want a rye that is easy to drink. Got enough of them. I don't want a rye that I can hardly distinguish from most bourbons. Got enough of them, too. I want distinction. I want rye flavor. Rye should sizzle. I want something I can say "WOW! to. Give me that, Beam, and you will have a fan, and my money. Now, just my opinion...but RRR failed. I hope you can do better...I really WANT you to do better.

JOE

This sounds like an explosive exposition soliloquy from a late 1980's romantic comedy. Allow me:

"That said, the only thing I ask from <insert character name> is LOVE. A REAL LOVE. A hit me in the nose and make my eyes water LOVE! I don't want a LOVE that is easy to HAVE. Got enough of them. I don't want a LOVE that I can hardly distinguish from most FLINGS. Got enough of them, too. I want distinction. LOVE should sizzle. I want something I can say "WOW! to. Give me that, <insert character name>, and you will have a fan, and my money. Now, just my opinion...but <Ex-character name>f ailed. I hope you can do better...I really WANT you to do better."

Joe,

I think you're in love with rye whiskey the same way Sally is in love with Harry.

This sounds like an explosive exposition soliloquy from a late 1980's romantic comedy. Allow me:

"That said, the only thing I ask from <insert character name> is LOVE. A REAL LOVE. A hit me in the nose and make my eyes water LOVE! I don't want a LOVE that is easy to HAVE. Got enough of them. I don't want a LOVE that I can hardly distinguish from most FLINGS. Got enough of them, too. I want distinction. LOVE should sizzle. I want something I can say "WOW! to. Give me that, <insert character name>, and you will have a fan, and my money. Now, just my opinion...but <Ex-character name>f ailed. I hope you can do better...I really WANT you to do better."

Joe,

I think you're in love with rye whiskey the same way Sally is in love with Harry.

:lol:

Well, even if it's not what I'm looking for in Rye, It's better to have ryed and lost, than never to have ryed at all.

:toast:

JOE

Beam doesn't really do small. It might roll out regionally, but they'll have it national pretty quickly.

Oh, so it's RI to the first power...so that would just be Rye...Okay,whatever...92 proof is an odd choice in the American whiskey market.

No talk of an age statement...no talk about history either (that's okay, Beam doesn't do too well with accuracy in that dept. anyway)

I must admit, I think the packaging design is so far out from what has been done before they may be completely missing the market. I feel so many people who are existing buyers in that market will pass it over as a gimmick and too few people moving into the market will risk buying something that is so far removed from the more established brands...though the bottle will look great on a back bar somewhere, on a crowded shelf I just think it will look like a gimmick.

Interesting. Certainly staking out a different visual and tactile terrain here (the bottle, label, name). Presumably somewhere on the label it still says straight rye whiskey.

Gary

yes it seems they are really relying on the marketing and packaging to create the product. They have the $$$ to put into a campaign so good luck to the exec who has his a$$ riding on this one.

I don't really see this product as something that would appeal to me, it's much more of a "lifestyle" marketing gimic. Hopefully they find enough consumers who want to live the "ri" life.

I'm too busy living the "Van Winkle", "BT" and "WT" life.

Greg

Oh, so it's RI to the first power...so that would just be Rye...Okay,whatever...92 proof is an odd choice in the American whiskey market.

No talk of an age statement...no talk about history either (that's okay, Beam doesn't do too well with accuracy in that dept. anyway)

I must admit, I think the packaging design is so far out from what has been done before they may be completely missing the market. I feel so many people who are existing buyers in that market will pass it over as a gimmick and too few people moving into the market will risk buying something that is so far removed from the more established brands...though the bottle will look great on a back bar somewhere, on a crowded shelf I just think it will look like a gimmick.

I just want a great bottle of rye whiskey and I hope Beam can make me one. And frankly, I don't see why the packaging is an issue around here.

If you put swill in a hand-blown glass bottle decked out in masterpiece art, I won't be buying it.

But if you put the nectar of the heavenlies in a large tub plasstered with nude photos of Margret Thatcher, I will get past my disgust for the packing and drink it.

I just want a great bottle of rye whiskey and I hope Beam can make me one. And frankly, I don't see why the packaging is an issue around here.

If you put swill in a hand-blown glass bottle decked out in masterpiece art, I won't be buying it.

But if you put the nectar of the heavenlies in a large tub plasstered with nude photos of Margret Thatcher, I will get past my disgust for the packing and drink it.

You know I never heard it put quite that way, but I agree and I suppose that many here agree.

Yep. Once the whiskey is out of the bottle and in your glass, taste is 100% of the experience.

Yep. Once the whiskey is out of the bottle and in your glass, taste is 100% of the experience.

If that were really true, I'll bet more of us would be much fonder of Basil Hayden's (I know I would -- 80 proof notwithstanding!)

The QPR concept is probably inversely proportionate to the fashion sense of the bottle, and that's where I'm cautious about ri(1). John Hansell says it's better than the baseline ryes -- but at what price premium?

(Hell, I'll try it and I'll probably like it...)

I'll try it as well. Any new whiskey is whiskey to be tasted, in my book.

The name, (ri)1, is reminds me of new product packaging from Coke or Pepsi. A very soft drink-like name, if you ask me. I suppose this is representative of early 21st century style and design.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.