The Fake Whiskey Challenge

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guys, what happened to this rule?

I'm seeing a lot of actual wood being used...

Timothy, you are such an elitist when it comes to fake whiskey... :lol:

Perhaps I should modify that rule. Does the use of real wood make fake whiskey less fake?

Perhaps I should modify that rule. Does the use of real wood make fake whiskey less fake?

No, Don't change the rules.

I think I can actually do better by using wood extracts than real wood.

No, Don't change the rules.

I think I can actually do better by using wood extracts than real wood.

I've been following this with interest. I have vodka that needs a playmate. My tentative recipe is:

some Vodka

a rainier cherry

genuine imitation maple syrup

mexican vanilla extract 1932 vintage (is it cheating if the extract was wood aged?)

mint leaf

and

Leather shavings for flavor and body?

This might be too light in color-tho it is a very dark leather belt:grin: I'll let you know later..

some Vodka

a rainier cherry

genuine imitation maple syrup

mexican vanilla extract 1932 vintage (is it cheating if the extract was wood aged?)

mint leaf

and

Leather shavings for flavor and body?

This might be too light in color-tho it is a very dark leather belt:grin: I'll let you know later..

I did try this with some modifications.

The result is golden color. With a little too much vanilla. It sure doesn't take much vanilla- I just dipped the tip of a knife into it and stirred, and that was plenty/too much.

you are so right about not needing much vanilla. I do like the leather idea and peppercorn has done good for me.

Stopped in a Polish deli/liquor store today and they had oak flavored vodka...not sure if it's real oak or artificially oak flavored.

Stopped in a Polish deli/liquor store today and they had oak flavored vodka...not sure if it's real oak or artificially oak flavored.

You mean they had Segram's 7?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I've done it.

I made three different versions of "aged" fake bourbon and its pretty darned good.

Secret ingredient: Marshmallows:burnt!!!

It takes about 5 days of soaking burnt marshmallow "skin" in GNS or Corn based vodka to get a decent batch.

You can adjust sweetness, vanilla, "wood" with various degrees of marshmallow charring.

I prefer a number 4 marshmallow char.

I'll bring some to the 'zebo in various "ages" and you can judge.

I need someone else to try this and see if they can duplicate my results.

Impressive, Ed. I may try to duplicate once we get the grill unpacked. How does the color come out?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.