Blended Scotch Whisky article

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is a blended scotch whisky that will hit the market. This product is called The Last Drop. It was distilled in 1960 and matured for 12 years where it was blended. Then was placed in sherry cask for another 36 years. So its at least 48 years old. There will be a limited amount. The cost? A staggering 1000 pounds per bottle !!!

http://lastdropdistillers.com/home.php

There is a blended scotch whisky that will hit the market. This product is called The Last Drop. It was distilled in 1960 and matured for 12 years where it was blended. Then was placed in sherry cask for another 36 years. So its at least 48 years old. There will be a limited amount. The cost? A staggering 1000 pounds per bottle !!!

http://lastdropdistillers.com/home.php

Staggering? Yes, from the perspective of today's buyer, but not an especially attractive investment back in 1960.

Assuming the price of the distillate in 1960 was five pounds, then a price of 1000 pounds in 2008 works out to an annual growth of 11.67%. A portion of that would be offset by inflation and cost of storage.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

While I enjoy scotch now and again, I'm not a malt maniac and I don't have any experience with extra-aged scotches, those aged past 18 years. Does 18+ even qualify as extra-aged in the scotch world? I can't imagine why anyone would spend the astronomical sums on a bottle of whisky that scotch collectors do. Can anything aged that long in sherry butts taste like anything other than than wood and sherry.... and more sherry?

Mind you this is just my opinion but I've been fan of scotch for over 30 years and have some experience having reviewed over 125 so far and have well over 200 in my collection.

18 is the beginning of extra aged scotch. For years 6 and even 8 yo was the norm for most. Older ones were available of course but the average wasn't as old as what is the current norm. I probably have 40+ bottles from 25 yo up to 50 yo and some do not hold up as well as others. A prime example that is fairly easily available are the Macallan 25 and 30 sherry cask versions. To myself and a majority of other collecters/reviewers the 25 is superior to the 30 for the reasons you describe. However, there are exceptions to that even in the Macallan line. I've had 34 and 36 yo limited editions that were far and away better than the standard 30 or 25.

In the overall scheme of things, sherry casked scotch is a small portion of total output with most being stored in ex-bourbon casks that seem to handle aging better IMO.

I do agree that the costs are getting out of hand but that is due to increased demand out of the far east as far as I can tell. Still, I don't like dropping $800 to fill in a gap in the collection.

AVB

While I enjoy scotch now and again, I'm not a malt maniac and I don't have any experience with extra-aged scotches, those aged past 18 years. Does 18+ even qualify as extra-aged in the scotch world? I can't imagine why anyone would spend the astronomical sums on a bottle of whisky that scotch collectors do. Can anything aged that long in sherry butts taste like anything other than than wood and sherry.... and more sherry?

I can buy 1.75L of Famous Grouse (standard) in my market for $7 more than its 750ml bottle (@ c. $23, and tax). That's good enough for me. I'll worry about better stuff when I'm unhappy with what I'm buyin'.

The general idea of the Top Shelf feature is to highlight the ultra premium category of spirits as it is a mag for higher living. Dont kill the messenger though, I just get to taste the stuff and write about it.

Have any of you tried "Something Special"? I'm a malt lover, but drink occasional blends, and this is a standby when I can find it. It's hard to find in the USA but worth the effort. It's inexpensive and I personally think it stacks up with Chivas and Johnny black. Betty Jo said there's a warehouse full of it at HH, I don't know why it's so hard to find.

I've had it but I don't agree it is the equal of JWB. Pleasent enough if you get the 12 yo though. It is really hard to find as you said.

I've had it but I don't agree it is the equal of JWB. Pleasent enough if you get the 12 yo though. It is really hard to find as you said.

I don't have any JWB to compare at the moment. the last time I bought SS I paid a little over $14/bottle including case discount and tax.

who can afford JWB when you can get SS at those prices?

The 12 YO is the only SS I've ever seen. What else do they make? I understand it was originally blended for the board of directors of Glenlevit. Do you know if that is a fact?

As you know from earlier discussions, I'm a peat freak. Consequently one of my favorite blends is White Horse, but it's getting hard to find as well. the only time I see it any more is when I visit my in laws in NM.

I've seen 10 and ones with no age statement over the years but perhaps that was only in the UK. Been some time since I was looking for it. I don't know about being blended for Glenlivet, Board Members or otherwise. JWB can be found on sale in Baltimore for $23 plus tax at times which still makes it a premium over SS but I feel that in this case you get what you pay for.

I did some searching and the best price I found online has the SS for $20 and it isn't that nearby so you got a pretty good deal.

Plenty of White Horse in PA and MD though.

Yes the cost of single malt scotch is going higher. There is plenty of demand from China and even India which is driving the cost of a bottle up. Not to mention other countries which are also developing scotch drinkers. But for the very old bottles, the price I am seeing is outrageous. There is an edition of JW that is in the $10,000 range. Imagine such price for a blended scotch! A very old Bowmore sold for $25,000 in an auction. I guess as long as there are people willing to pay the price...

I've missed the $10K JW, I thought they topped out with the Blue Label 200th Anniversary Edition. Which was a special release of cask strength Blue Label in a special square Baccarat crystal decanter going for $3600 a pop. Way outta my league but I did get a chance to try some from a far better off fellow collector. It is very good.

Nice article, Vange. I'll look for the Black Bottle and Asyla, they sound like 'good bang for the buck'.

I've missed the $10K JW, I thought they topped out with the Blue Label 200th Anniversary Edition. Which was a special release of cask strength Blue Label in a special square Baccarat crystal decanter going for $3600 a pop. Way outta my league but I did get a chance to try some from a far better off fellow collector. It is very good.

You are closer than me.

The Johnnie Walker Blue Label Bespoke Blend Experience cost £3,000. Or about $5,400 a bottle. And that is 700 ml a bottle, not 750 ml.

Ahh, Expensive but I wouldn't really call it a Johnnie Walker blend. From my reading it looks like they let you create your own blend from their aged stocks of some closed distilleries. With only 10 of these Bespoke Blends available it isn't something you could even buy afterward since a good chunk of the price is the "experience" and not the product. Any way you cut it though it's a bunch of cash.

I note the King's Crest 25 is close to an American whiskey in taste profile per the review...but at $300 I will never know...unless it is at a tasting event. Is the comment off base?

Only three on the list are at relatively affordable prices..Buchanan, Compass Box, Black Bottle...I would like to see those three compared to Teachers, Famous Grouse, White Horse, etc. Are they clearly superior?

I note the King's Crest 25 is close to an American whiskey in taste profile per the review...but at $300 I will never know...unless it is at a tasting event. Is the comment off base?

Only three on the list are at relatively affordable prices..Buchanan, Compass Box, Black Bottle...I would like to see those three compared to Teachers, Famous Grouse, White Horse, etc. Are they clearly superior?

I only had the Black Bottle Islay which is composed of whiskys from the island of Islay. Its peaty which I like. OTOH, teachers, grouse are not that much peaty. I do like the grouse.

The King's Crest can be found for $160 plus shipping if you really want one. I snagged one off ebay for $125 last year but it was a present and so I didn't get a chance to try.

I can easily recommend the Black Bottle 10, the regular Black Bottle is good but the 10 yo is better.

• 2 months later...
I probably have 40+ bottles from 25 yo up to 50 yo and some do not hold up as well as others. AVB

Everything that I have reviewed and put online can be found here

Many Thanx! I have a lot of good reading to do :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.