Tom Moore Distillery: Open to Visitors

mozilla
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Tom Moore Distillery...owned by Barton and Constellation Brands will begin tours on October 1.

This expands the bourbon trail for the first time past the original 7 sites.

Cool! I just drove by there the other day and I didn't see any evidence of any work having been done, but I couldn't get a real good look as I drove by.

Looking forward to seeing Barton.

The building will be on the road that heads out west of the distillery. There is a bridge that was rebuilt a few years back....it is on that road. Near warehouse Z.

Although they aren't billing it as such, this represents the announcement of a name change. It's always been the Barton Distillery until now. I'm glad they put the historic Tom Moore name on it, instead of calling it Ridgemont Reserve, for example. Good for them. I also expect they will have an enhanced presence at the Bourbon Festival.

For more, go here.

Chuck,

have you heard any rumors about an expansion or remodeling of the plant, since they will be hosting so many more visitors? The still house is a little grungy when compared to the work that Drew is doing across town.

The only big construction I know about is the visitor's center itself. As for production capacity, off the top of my head Greg has told me they're doing some infrastructure things to get more efficient and add a little capacity here and there, but nothing major like Beam, Heaven Hill, Maker's or Wild Turkey. Presumably, they have enough capacity for the time being.

I don't know how this came about but I had no advance inkling about it. As far as I knew, tours weren't going to start until the Visitor's Center opened. I suspect they just were experiencing a lot of demand.

Staying out of sight right now is the person who probably is behind all of it, Pam Gover, who previously ran the Bourbon Festival and now is in charge of visitor relations at Tom Moore. (Still not used to calling it that.) I haven't talked to Pam because I didn't know there was anything to talk about. This is a nice surprise.

The Tom Moore Distillery...owned by Barton and Constellation Brands will begin tours on October 1.

What great timing, given that everybody will be in Bardstown in the middle of September.

Joe :usflag:

I'm pretty sure that "The Tom Moore Distillery" and Barton's run hand in hand...

Here's a picture of the Tom Moore Distillery http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=318&d=1048997850 long ago. Maybe someone can help identify the year of the cars to help determine when the picture was taken....

The house in the picture still stands today, right beside Barton's warehouse's on 31E. It's now a restaurant.

In some of Uncle Everett's writings he mentions working with Papa (Joseph L.) Beam at Tom Moore. He wrote that Papa was the distiller. He describes the home they lived in (located where the General Nelson is today)...A huge stately home---Aunt Jo's reference. He (Uncle Everett) went outside to the "privy" and a glow filled the sky! He ran back inside and screamed to Papa that the distillery was on fire! He goes on to mention that a black man was badly burned and everyone suspected that he might have had something to do with the fire.

Some of you might not know but Barton's is located behind the General Nelson (Gazebo), a stone's throw away so to speak :grin:

Bettye Jo

That picture and the family stories are what makes learnin' fun. Was that the fire that happened around the end of WWII?

I am no expert on cars of that vintage, but I would say mid 30's to early 40's. That road must be old Hwy 31, right? The road that cuts through the distillery now?

Do you have anymore pics of the distillery back then? How about some from HH from the same time period?

As always....great input. Thanks Bettye Jo!

It was called the Tom Moore Distillery before Prohibition and briefly thereafter but when Getz bought it he changed the name to Barton and it's been called that ever since. Tom Moore died during Prohibition but his son initially had an interest post-Prohibition, but sold out before Getz got involved. Barton was eventually bought by a wine company out of New York although the spirits business is still based here in Chicago.

The Mattingly & Moore Distillery was on roughly the same site. I think Joe Beam was master distiller at both of them.

I think the picture is actually of the present day US-31E. The warehouses and tavern building are still there, but now with a fence around them and a billboard for 1792.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.