Brown-Forman opens museum in Louisville

craigthom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just saw on TV (but can't find online) that B-F is opening a museum in the 600 block of West Main in Louisville. They showed a little replica of their water tower sitting on the sidewalk.

It's near the other museums on West Main. I'll get down there as soon as I get a chance and see what's going on there.

Ah. That's two blocks from the Slugger Museum, so it's likely to get some passing traffic.

If you go to the area, don't miss walking (or driving) west under the freeway to Caufield's novelty shop. I'm such a little kid in there.

Museum is a bit of a stretch. They have some offices on Main and have put a small exhibit in the lobby. They got a certificate today from the mayor, today being George Garvin Brown's birthday.

About that, they did not debut Birthday Bourbon today as they usually do. They're releasing their repeal bourbon first.

I had some of the repeal bourbon today. It's a little different from signature. For one thing, it's 10 years old. They tried to make it taste like some actual Forester that was distilled in 1916, bottled in 1938. I drove to Louisville just to taste that. It was worth it.

Chuck, can you give any further info on the historical Forester, any Bourbon, Straight-style taste notes?

Was it recognisably bourbon as we know it or something 'different'?

Gary

It was not overly wooded, as so many of the Prohibition-era medicinal whiskeys are. It was quite good. The nose was incredible. We could smell it as we were walking up the stairs to the room. If you didn't know it was a bourbon, you might think it was a rye, with that floral, as opposed to spicy, quality ryes sometimes have. The most prominent feature, as is often the case with older bottlings, was that wintergreen taste and aroma that comes from the 200+ year old trees used for the barrels. You get that in some post-prohibition bottlings too, through maybe the 1960s, but you never get it today. The new Repeal Bourbon, bottled after the 1916-1938, is mainly lacking that.

I should point out that this was not, in fact, Prohibition-era medicinal whiskey but a pre-Prohibition distillate bottled several years after repeal.

I wrote this without checking my notes, so I may have more.

I should point out that this was not, in fact, Prohibition-era medicinal whiskey but a pre-Prohibition distillate bottled several years after repeal.

I wrote this without checking my notes, so I may have more.

Hold on, what?

Is that what is being bottled for sale?

Hold on, what?

Is that what is being bottled for sale?

No, no, no. It's a bottle Mike Veach acquired and donated for this tasting. One of those things that was found in somebody's attic. For the Repeal Bourbon, they looked for barrels that tasted as close as possible to that one, but what they're bottling is whiskey made in 1998, bottled 2008.

No, no, no. It's a bottle Mike Veach acquired and donated for this tasting. One of those things that was found in somebody's attic. For the Repeal Bourbon, they looked for barrels that tasted as close as possible to that one, but what they're bottling is whiskey made in 1998, bottled 2008.

OK, sorry. It makes sense after I went back and re-read the thread. Imagine :lol:

That's the danger of speed-reading this site while I should be working :lol:

Gary,

I have enough left for about two drinks. Maybe a race between you and Chuck with a drink as the prize is in store. Chuck is just about 300 miles away - how far are you? I am sure you would have to either get a good start or have a lot quicker pit stops to get here first.

Seriously, I am thinking about bringing the last of the 22yo to Pens Party on Saturday night of the Bardatown Tourism Festival, so if you show up, maybe you can get a drink. I know Chuck will probably be there so maybe you two can have the last two drinks.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.