Your favourite Bourbon bar Version 2 >

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thought i'd re-open this old thread and introduce my favourite drinking hole here in Brisbane. Camduncan and Hightower know of this bar and as i work just down the road its been a haunt of mine for a bit. It's 'The Bowery Bar' in Brisbane, voted the best bar in Australia on JJJ radio recently. Apart from the excellent selection at the Byblos Bar at Portside, Brisbane, Australia, it has one of the best bourbon ranges on offer here. Stagg runs for a hefty 50 hard earnt dollars a pop but there are plenty others that are better priced to savour. I go here to try ones before i buy them.

Anywho the bar has a classy NY city kind of feel and is well worth a visit if you're in this part of the world. Anyone else got some pics of nice bars they might call their second home? :grin:

Cheers all!

Tym.

post-3711-14489814493466_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489814493642_thumb.jpg

I remember a big night of Mint Juleps (they make a mean Woodford Reserve MJ), Manhattans, Staggs and Hirsch 16's at the bowery. IIRC, Cam called in sick the following day :lol:

I prefer Byblos as it has more atmosphere, not to mention great food :grin:

There's a new high end bar opening in the Valley called Zuri Lounge - it is opening on 10.10.2008 and it is going to be very high end (they are going to have bathroom attendants and valets)

Scott

They don't get much of a crowd, do they?

At fifty bucks a shot for Stagg, I can see why.

Joe :usflag:

My favorite is Smitty's Bar and Grill. It is at least 10 ft from my recliner and has the best selection I can find. Buffalo Trace is about $1.00 a shot. The greatest part is this woman who works there, she will even sleep with me! But that depends on the number of shots I have :-) Tim Smith

My favorite is Smitty's Bar and Grill. The greatest part is this woman who works there, she will even sleep with me!

:slappin: Now that's my kinda bar! :slappin:

Scott

My favorite is Smitty's Bar and Grill. It is at least 10 ft from my recliner and has the best selection I can find. Buffalo Trace is about $1.00 a shot. The greatest part is this woman who works there, she will even sleep with me! But that depends on the number of shots I have :-) Tim Smith

Yeah but the tipping situation is just crazy in those kinda places...every dime you ever have made and ever will make...plus if you go drink somewhere else one night you don't even want to know what could happen...:rolleyes:

There's a new high end bar opening in the Valley called Zuri Lounge - it is opening on 10.10.2008 and it is going to be very high end (they are going to have bathroom attendants and valets)

Ahh yes, i walked past the old Sunbar last week and saw they were doing some renovations, looks fantastic! :grin:

Now there's an idea! Instead of the standard bar stool furniture maybe we start a bar with a bunch of recliners lined up along the bar where you can rock on with a bourbon in hand and a cigar in the other! Fantastic! :grin:

I haven't found my favorite bourbon bar yet. Although Smitty's sounds like a pretty good place.:grin: Joe

Now there's an idea! Instead of the standard bar stool furniture maybe we start a bar with a bunch of recliners lined up along the bar where you can rock on with a bourbon in hand and a cigar in the other! Fantastic! :grin:

Not realy my favorite bourbon bar but your post reminded me of a place in Galesburg ILL. that has been closed for 12 or 13 years. It was called The Huddle. The bar was sunk into the floor the bar stools weren't recliners, but close. They were big soft chairs with arm rests and they sat on rollers, they sat low to the floor to match the height of the bar. I would say the chairs were similar to the computer chair I'm sitting in right now. The bar was sort of an elongated and exaggerated kidney shape. Cool place, decent selection and since it was part of a restaurant that stayed open 24 hrs, the kitchen never closed. And a 2:00 AM breakfast was just one room over.

Not realy my favorite bourbon bar but your post reminded me of a place in Galesburg ILL. that has been closed for 12 or 13 years. It was called The Huddle. The bar was sunk into the floor the bar stools weren't recliners, but close. They were big soft chairs with arm rests and they sat on rollers, they sat low to the floor to match the height of the bar. I would say the chairs were similar to the computer chair I'm sitting in right now. The bar was sort of an elongated and exaggerated kidney shape. Cool place, decent selection and since it was part of a restaurant that stayed open 24 hrs, the kitchen never closed. And a 2:00 AM breakfast was just one room over.

The former bourbon bar, the D Marie, in the Galt House in Louisville was set up like that...it was designed to look like a Spanish Galleon (the outside even had portholes)...one of the ugliest places I've ever been in...

We recently moved to Houston from Northern California. I've got a new bourbon bar - Poison Girl. It's located on Westheimer close to Dunlavy. They have an AWESOME collection of bourbon - I'm struggling to see what they haven't got!

Poison Girl. Now that's a very good name for a bar. It sort of reminds me of what I saw in a men's room not long ago. One of the rubbers they sold from the dispenser (why do they even have those?) was named Pandora's Box. Talk about something that'll make you think twice.:grin:

Yes, Poison Girl is a great name. Now for the kicker - the owners of the bar also run a coffee shop which is called - yes, you guessed it - Antidote!

Not really my favourite bourbon bar but your post reminded me of a place in Galesburg ILL. that has been closed for 12 or 13 years. It was called The Huddle. The bar was sunk into the floor the bar stools weren't recliners, but close. They were big soft chairs with arm rests and they sat on rollers, they sat low to the floor to match the height of the bar.

Classic! Shame its closed, sounds fantastic though. We have a franchise here in Brisbane called Gold Class Cinemas where you can watch the latest movies in comfy large recliner chairs with the alcohol of your choice and various food stuffs. Its very comfortable and expensive but a small luxury every now and again. :grin:

Indeed it was a classic. It had been around at least since my Dad was a teenager. He turned 65 last month.

It was among the first places where I "legally" drank.

....We have a franchise here in Brisbane called Gold Class Cinemas where you can watch the latest movies in comfy large recliner chairs with the alcohol of your choice and various food stuffs. Its very comfortable and expensive but a small luxury every now and again. :grin:

In Moline IL. there was a theater that had been there for ever. Well, at least since the '50s. In recent decades it had survived as a "second run" type movie house, changing hands many times in the process. One of the last times it was open the owners put in a bar and several couches and recliner type chairs. The bar/concession stand was in the theater itself, not in the lobby. I was there several times. crappy selection and 4.75 for a Jack and Coke. A short one. But I loved the concept. Not being a sports fan It gave me the Idea that such a thing could be done with a sports bar type set up, using a couple of the biggest plasma TVs one could buy. Imagine a John Wayne or Cary Grant "movie night" at your local watering hole.

My favorite is still the Seelbach iHotel n Louisville. The places oozes history and the bartenders are not only knowledgable but can mix a righteous mamnhattan.

My favorite is still the Seelbach iHotel n Louisville. The places oozes history and the bartenders are not only knowledgable but can mix a righteous mamnhattan.

Wow, i just browsed it online, it looks impressive and as you say, historical and full of character. I viewed their gallery and found this image with some knob and EC12 in the background. :grin:

post-3711-14489814497357_thumb.jpg

Well,

I was recently referred by sb.com's own Sku to an excellent bar in Santa Monica. It's called the Daily Pint, and if you're in the Los Angeles area, I'd recommend a trip. In addition to some great bourbons (multiple Van Winkles, Baker's, EC12, and others), the bar boasts a remarkable selection of single malt whiskey -- independent bottlings of Rosebank, Port Ellen, and other hard-to-find pours. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I did recognize a number of interesting Belgian and Belgian-style beers on tap and in bottles. The atmosphere is . . . somber. My girlfriend likened it to hanging out in someone's basement, but with well over 100 whiskey bottles behind the counter (I lost count), I like to think that the management is just focused on liquor, rather than the drapes. The service was surly but competent, so no complaints.

My favorite sports/happy hour bar had Blanton's, Eagle Rare 10yr, and Buffalo Trace today. Previously they usually had just Markers or Woodford.

Still $2.50 or $2.75 for a 23oz good quality beer during Happy Hour is hard to beat.

Around here, the bourbon selection in bars is usually poor.

Additionally, the hiring party has a great eye, so as we say at the bar, inexpensive good beer, low priced great appetizers, and there's added value in the bartenders.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.