Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon Whisky

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They did change the text on their website and removed the offending portion the day after my post.

Hmmmm....maybe someone from Woodstone is reading this board. If so, please register and stop in and say hello on this thread. You now have a chance to turn a negative into a positive.

that's a good sign. I hope they do post here.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Just obtained some Woodstone bourbon, I'm currently tasting it at our hotel in Cincinnati (Hilton Netherlands, a 1931 art deco pile with many interesting features, like Seelbach in many ways). The bourbon is excellent: rich-tasting with caramel-vanilla notes and a complex flavor. It has a kind of flinty finish which balances the sweetness. A fine effort in that it is a traditional bourbon taste with a difference:the pot still and mash bill show their stuff!

I'll have a bottle out tomorrow at Gazebo.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Gary:

I'd love to hear your further impressions (and those who tried it a the KBF).

I continue to be impressed with this pour. Admittedly I started with minimal expectations, but I am amazed at the complexity in such a (presumably) young bourbon. If they keep at it, I forsee even better expressions in the future..

I have another bottle for use at home (the first one was emptied at Gazebo just passed) and will report my further taste impressions. I am a fan too.

It is really not that young - even assuming it is 4 years old only (a minimum), there are other bourbons we like well enough of that age, e.g., Old Forester, Maker's Mark.

Some people who tried it at Gazebo just passed liked it; others said it was good but for the money they would buy something else; one or two others did not like it.

Gary

I thought it was all surface, no depth, a veneer of whiskey flavors over a neutral base. No mouth feel. Didn't hate it. Didn't like it.

• 1 month later...

Last night, I had the chance to meet Don & Linda Outterson, the owners of Woodstone Creek. They were offering tastings of their wines and spirits at a fundraising event for the Leukemia Society.

I found them both to be friendly and gracious people, dedicated to their craft. They both work full-time jobs in addition to their distillery / winery business.

Don and I talked briefly about their Straight Bourbon. He is focused on collecting and replicating old spirits recipes and production techniques. He pointed out the his bourbon has the minimum of 51% corn, allowing the malted wheat, rye, and barley to have more of an influence. It is also barreled at a relatively low 107 entry proof. He's got a number of barrels aging and I look forward to seeing how this whiskey matures.

Given the crowds at the event, our visit was short. I plan on dropping by his winery / distillery for on of the Saturday afternoon tastings. (Unfortunately, Ohio law currently restricts spirit tastings).

• 2 months later...

My wife and I finally got the chance to visit the tasting room at Woodstone Creek Distillery / Winery in Cincinnati. We sampled a number of their unique wines (Ohio law does not allow spirits sampling). Our hands-down favorite was Taliesin, a dry honeywine made with lemongrass, ginger, champagne yeats, and extra hops. Delightfully crisp and delicate, it is not at all what you expect a honeywine to be.

Woodstone just released their second barrel of straight bourbon (Barrel #1). Supposed to be similar to, yet slightly different from Barrel #2. The next release (later this year) may be a barrel-prrof one. They are also working on distributing their products in Colorado.

Also coming up are light & dark rums and a beer schnapps that has been aging for several years. Got to visit briefly with owners Don & Linda Outerson, who are obviously passionate and really enjoy their craft. Don is even making a batch of Poteen (traditional Irish moonshine) for St. Pattys Day. It's not for release.... but I sure would love to get a taste!

Have they removed the "offending wording"? I don't see it anywhere....did I miss it? Under what section? Their "Visit Us" tab does not have the info but does provide details for their tastings...wines, meads etc.

• 9 months later...

I am all for supporting the micro/craft distillers out there, they're attempting to accomplish what the rest of us only dream of, but IMHO don't waste your time on this one, particularly for the price. I just can't justify the $100 price tag for a product that's average at best. The BTI gave it an 84 rating, while Buffalo Trace (my favorite at the moment:grin:) earned a 93 at only $20 a bottle.

$100 is to high. But I believe it's $50 here in Chicago.. Not to bad compared to $50 for a 375 of hudson. Where are you paying a $100 for Woodstone?

I sampled some of this at Liquor World in Bardstown during the KBF. I can say I was not impressed at all. I wouldn't buy it at $15 a bottle. No offense to liquor world and JT it was the owners of Woodstone Creek that was giving out the samples.

$100 is to high. But I believe it's $50 here in Chicago.. Not to bad compared to $50 for a 375 of hudson. Where are you paying a $100 for Woodstone?

I was wrong on the price. It's $89.99. Sorry for that.:cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.