"Aged in 200 Year-Old Oak"

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In the "running out of oil" thread Chuck made a point that raises an interesting marketing possibility.

He stated that there is still 200 year-old oak available, just not in large enough quantities for widespread use. Now that single-barrel bottlings are part of almost every distiller's product line, perhaps it would be possible to add information about the provenance of the barrel to the identity of the product.

If there's enough very old oak to make a hundred or so barrels, then a special bottling might be practical -- something akin to a one-time release within BTAC or Parker's Heritage Collection.

Such a bottling would bear a hefty price tag, but it would offer something unique and potentially very tasty in return.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

With this thread about possible "single tree" and "tornado" bourbons, I wouldn't doubt it was either possible or actually happening.

Tim,

I missed or forgot that thread.

I should have suspected that someone had already proposed such an idea.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I hadn't put the two threads together until you mentioned it. I think it's a great idea. I really hope they have already put that concept into motion, because I just don't have much patience for that kinda thing.

I hadn't put the two threads together until you mentioned it. I think it's a great idea. I really hope they have already put that concept into motion, because I just don't have much patience for that kinda thing.

At age 65, neither do I. If anything, I am an advocate of developing synthetic aging methods.

A sobering thought (no pun intended) occured to me recently. If I were to find myself without a dog, I'd need to adopt one several years old, not a puppy that would be likely to outlive me.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

It's not a new idea. I've been talking about it for a few years. I get a lot of nods. Nobody has confirmed that they've done it or are even looking into doing it, although what Timothy pointed to is close.

On a slightly different thought, some of these very old (e.g., 27-year-old) barrels that have been dumped recently, it would be great if somebody used those as finishing barrels for maybe some eight or ten year old bourbons.

Bourbon-Finished Bourbon. What could possibly be better than that?

It's not a new idea. I've been talking about it for a few years. I get a lot of nods. Nobody has confirmed that they've done it or are even looking into doing it, although what Timothy pointed to is close.

On a slightly different thought, some of these very old (e.g., 27-year-old) barrels that have been dumped recently, it would be great if somebody used those as finishing barrels for maybe some eight or ten year old bourbons.

Bourbon-Finished Bourbon. What could possibly be better than that?

Now I could get behind this idea... I nice wheateir with a bourbon finished SW bourbon...

Inspired by a witticism on another board, I'd propose a single tree bourbon made from such an antique tree. No one likes to see old stock cut down but there may be such wood available e.g., from old trees in areas authorised for redevelopment, or where the tree needs to be cut down for safety reasons. Where there is a will there is a way.

Gary

Inspired by a witticism on another board, I'd propose a single tree bourbon made from such an antique tree. No one likes to see old stock cut down but there may be such wood available e.g., from old trees in areas authorised for redevelopment, or where the tree needs to be cut down for safety reasons. Where there is a will there is a way.

Gary

Gary,

With his mention of current practices to ensure consistency Chuck raises interesting questions.

Making barrels with wood from a single tree would be risky unless there are criteria for selection that would assure superb results. Are such criteria known? Will any tree do if only it is old enough?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Certainly a good point, Dave, and I do not know if historically barrels were ever made that way even assuming the wood from one tree can be deemed meet (technically I mean) to fashion the staves necessary to make one barrel. The notion I have is more romantic/inspirational (with a faint edge of humor) than anything in the Arcadian past to justify this. On the theory though of singleness and its alleged virtues, the idea seems worth pursuing!

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.