Char No. 4

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A new bourbon and Southern food restaurant has just opened in Brooklyn, NY, Char No. 4 (great name). The reviews I read are very positive. Here is the bourbon and rye list, note the interesting Japanese export items - and the brass needed for some of them. On the other hand, bourbons like EC 18 are a bargain!

http://eastofnyc.com/images/listings/eat/menus/charno4menu.pdf

Gary

I know the Dickel No. 8 is currently unavailable, but it will be again before too long. I think I'd wait rather than buy it there.

Some "interesting" pricing. First column is 1 oz taste and 2nd is 2 oz pour.

Great selection nonetheless!

BOURBON

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year 11 22

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year 13 26

Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year 40 80

W.L. Weller 7 Year 4 8

William Larue Weller 11 22

William Larue Weller 19 Year 100 200

RYE

Classic Cask 15 Year 100 200

Classic Cask 21 Year 100 200

Classic Cask 22 Year 100 200

Hirsch 21 100 200

Hirsch 22 20 40

Indeed. Maybe the most of any U.S. restaurant or bar, certainly up there!

Gary

I'm inclined to think that the prices are intended to keep some things from selling at all, so they can say they have such and such bottlings...however I find ti odd that they didn't jack up the price of some out of production stuff, like make the earlier Saz18 higher than the current...

I also find it unforgivable that they bothered to get in AA and VOB, but don't bother to tell the proof or age of those...similar with Stagg-no proof...and what ORVW is it?

I'd have to go visit a place like this, even if it was just to pick the owners' brain to try to figure out his thought process behind his pricing scheme.

The location, type of food (Southern), and the extensive selection of American whiskies, gets me to wonderin' if LeNell is involved in some way.

A duanting list of whisky. First time I have seen the listing separated by Wheat/Rye bourbons.

Did I miss the food menu or is it not in that link?

Thanks Gary.

Marc, I did see the food menu in the links leading to this drinks list, I will try to find it, it looked very good!

Gary

I know the Dickel No. 8 is currently unavailable, but it will be again before too long. I think I'd wait rather than buy it there.

There was enough Dickel No. 8 in the stores in Myrtle Beach this past July to float an aircraft carrier. If I had know that someone believed New Yorkers would pay 50 bucks an ounce for it, I would have picked up a handle or two to sell.

Another missed opportunity. :lol:

To put the Wild Turkey Tribute on that menu makes me ask/wonder how many bottles are on hand and how that happened.

There may be others on the list that also fall into that category, Tribute was the one that jumped out for me.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and deduce that someone we all know is involved in this venture. The name oozes bourbo-savvy.

This is a worldclass offering with some bottlings that are outright collectibles.

This would mean delving into a well organized and catalogued burbonbunker that would be the envy of any sb.com member.

Considering the location, I would say The Bitter Truth is evident.

Anyone want to fess up?

According to this site, it's a Sommelier and a Whiskey guy by the names of Sean Josephs and Michael Tsoumpas. According to this site, it's not LeNell. I would think Ebay is responsible for most of the whiskey list.

I expect a report to appear shortly by one or more of the NYC area members

According to another article on Char No.4 he's Greek. The gentleman also seems to be a partner in Penelope (159 Lexington Ave). The name also turns up on a model airplane building site (though that person lives in Spokane, WA). His name also turns up in a construction project in Poland

There is also a Tsoumpas Brothers Co. with a d.b.a. of Lennox Shill Coffee Shop (1105 Lexington Ave) where he also seems to own the building

Well, Brooklyn is just about halfway between Amityville and Westchester, so I took a slight detour on my to my daughter's house this afternoon.

This place is tiny, but the bourbon selection is great. Some strainge placments and prices. Four Roses Yellow Label is on the top shelf with the rare bourbons.

The folks are great. I met one co-owner Sean Josephs. He's the restaurant half of the business. I also met the sous chef, bartenders Jeff and Scott and a few locals.

Whiskey is service in an Reidel O style tumbler. A rocks glass full of ice (with tongs) is preseneted on a saucer with a napkin and served "back". Nice Touch.

There are about 6 diner style booths and a few tables in the back.

The bar's about 20 ft long and sits about 12 patrons.

The menu features BBQ and in-house smoked bacon.

The kitchen was closed when I got there, but I got an invitation to brunch tomorrow.

I'll post some photos when I get back home.

I've just reserved for Libby and I for October 12, a Sunday, at 11:00 a.m. for the brunch. We're good for a couple of hours or so and then will return to the city to see a play. Ed, Cliff, Mike or other New York or area-based SB-ers, consider doing the same.

Gary

I'm inclined to think that the prices are intended to keep some things from selling at all, so they can say they have such and such bottlings...and what ORVW is it?

• 5 months later...

Haven't been there, but I'll try it out sometime soon. I'm not expecting much, other than the large selection, but frankly, it's unlikely that they'll have anything that I'm willing to pay up for.

There are plenty of places that have a good selection of the middle tier bourbons that aren't trying to be something "special". Would love to have a place like Bourbon's Bistro in NY. I don't know why everyone who has a large whiskey selection has to get so fricken' smanshy.

Only place I know of like that in the greater metro area is about 10 ft from my fireplace.

WOW!! What a great list. I want to stop in just to see everything in one place.

Did anyone notice that under TRADITIONAL MASHBILL BOURBON

they list all 3 George Dickle's TENNESSEE WHISKY

-Barrel Select

Just something that stood out to me. Maybe I am missing something!!

Anybody else have a comment?

Dave

The only thing that stood out is that a double shot of 4 Roses Super Premium goes for $100. It was nice, but WTF? I would slug out $10 tops.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.