Rye for Dummies

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As someone who has never tryed a true rye whiskey, what would you recomend as the definative rye? I am looking to broaden my horizons and maybe learn a thing or two along the way smile.gif

I haven't tried any either but have a bottle each of VanWinkle 12 and 13 year old I think a lot think highly of sazerac it's about 40 a bottle in Louisville so should be close in Lexington. If you want to start out cheaper there's Old Overholt and Wild Turkey. grin.gif

IMHO the classic rye is Wild Turkey. My favorate is Van Winkle 13 (followed closely by Sazerac). tongue.gif

If you're feeling a bit adventurous, have a spare C-note AND are lucky enough to find it, I would suggest trying the latest bottling of Old Potrero Single Malt Straight Rye Whiskey. I can't recall the "essay" number, but it is nearly five years old, bottled at 62.1% a.b.v. and IMHO stunning. I can't wait to taste what they bottle five or six years from now!

SJ

I went by Liquor BArn in Louisville today and there is plenty of VanWinkle Rye there both the 12 and 13 Year Old. There had been about 3 bottles of 12 Year Old Wild Turkey but they are gone now. I know where one bottle is at , I can't drink it because if I like it I can't afford to go to Japan! crazy.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.