Prince of Wales Welsh whisky

jinenjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I spotted a (most likely older) bottle recently, called Prince of Wales vatted welsh whisky. Seems interesting.

Has anyone heard of it?

I just checked a web search. Wiki says it actually was from the Welsh distillery before it became Penderyn. I liked it when Jim Murray offered it at a tasting once.

Edit-- I just read an article that mentions the Prince of Wales whisky, which apparently was produced BEFORE construction of the Penderyn distillery. Thus, Prince of Wales, while produced in Wales, was not distilled in Wales.

The previous poster is probably correct-- the Penderyn distillery is currently the only operational distillery in Wales.

Thus, Prince of Wales whisky is likely sourced from Penderyn. Trust me-- this is a GOOD thing!

Penderyn is one of my favorites because it is the only young whisky I find truly enjoyable. It benefits from the prestigious 92 proof, a unique distillation process, and VERY good sources of American oak casks-- that being Heaven Hill and Jack Daniel. Their Madeira finishing adds some delightful notes of toffee and bitter orange zest.

I find it to be very elegant, classy, lively, and youthful (in a good way). This one is on my short list of "Must Have's" in my collection.

• 1 month later...

I got a bottle of Penderyn at Heathrow on my way home from the UK recently and I have to say its one of the best non-Kentucky whisky's I've ever had. Very smooth, kinda sweet. Just wish I'd bought more.

I got a bottle of Penderyn at Heathrow on my way home from the UK recently and I have to say its one of the best non-Kentucky whisky's I've ever had. Very smooth, kinda sweet. Just wish I'd bought more.

They do distribute to the US now.

Heck, I can even find it in PA! And everybody knows how limited THAT selection is!

Heck, I can even find it in PA! And everybody knows how limited THAT selection is!

Anybody have any tips on where to find some in the midwest?

I found a bottle in Paducah on my way home from KBF. My opinion differs from those given so far. It has a faint "paint thinner" on the nose that I find distasteful in JD, maybe that's why some bourbon drinkers like it? It was a good whisky, but pricey for the quality. I've tried it and I'll probably never buy another bottle. For those who said they like young whisky, may I suggest Glen Devron 5 year old or Glen Parker (a 5 year old Tomintoul).

• 3 weeks later...

really???:rolleyes::lol:

the PA liquor board site is no longer comprehensive it seems....i search even something like Wild Turkey and nothing turns up. the accuracy is way off....WT is all over the place!

nonetheless, would love to give this a try.

really???:rolleyes::lol:

the PA liquor board site is no longer comprehensive it seems....i search even something like Wild Turkey and nothing turns up. the accuracy is way off....WT is all over the place!

nonetheless, would love to give this a try.

Hi Polyamnesia,

Yeah, the inventory on the website doesn't get updated as often as it should.

Still, yeah, I've sighted Penderyn at two Dauphin County stores-- the one on Jonestown Road, Colonial Park (a suburb of Harrisburg) and the one in Hummelstown (right next to Hershey).

As it appears you live in southeast PA, I'm guessing you live in a Philadelphia suburb? Some of the Premium stores down that way should have a couple of bottles...

Penderyn is one of my favorites because it is the only young whisky I find truly enjoyable. It benefits from the prestigious 92 proof, a unique distillation process, and VERY good sources of American oak casks-- that being Heaven Hill and Jack Daniel. Their Madeira finishing adds some delightful notes of toffee and bitter orange zest.

My most recent tasting of Penderyn yielded a slight shift in character. I detected a very slight, olive-like briny taste, like that of Oban 14-year and some of the other Coastal Highland Scotch Malt Whiskies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.