Whiskey Barrel Manufacture

fricky
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone have information concerning the manufacture of whiskey barrels in the United States?

Dave Ziegler provided a few old staves from the old distillery in Linfield, PA that I have been finishing. There are significant variations in the stave dimensions. Stave thickness ranged between 5/8†and 1â€. Length was between 34 ½†and 36 ½â€. The shortest and thinnest was not charred. Age of the staves is unknown. All were bleached from lying in the open and some showed minor rotted areas.

One would think that there had to be some standardization in barrel components to insure proper loading of the ricks as well as reasonably consistent starting volume.

Doug

Don't know if this will help but have you ever seen the Independent Stave Company's website?

They have a lot of pages on their site and the "Contact Us" tab has a ton of listings of people/companies in the business.

The "Our Business" tab has a lot of sujects also.

Link below.

http://www.independentstavecompany.com

Hi Doug,

Next time you and Joe are down this way you should drive by Athertonville...about 15 miles south of Bardstown on 31E. They make barrels there. You can see a lot standing on the side of the road from several huge overhead large door openings. They don't allow visitors but you can still see a lot from afar because it's too hot to keep the doors closed. I've been "run off" a time or two from there! :lol:

Bettye Jo

Thanks for the link to Independent Stave Company. I will contact them.

Doug

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.