When you're having more than one

cas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When you are sitting down to have a few glasses of bourbon do you usually have several glasses of the same kind or do you switch from glass to glass? I find I usually switch from one to another with successive glasses, trying to discern the differences. Though I'm not very good at it. What about others on the board - how do you usually sip your bourbon?

Craig

Back in the days when I wasn't taking meds with a no-alcohol caution on the label I would often have two drinks at one sitting. (Having a third usually caused me to lose count.)

When drinking solely for enjoyment I usually stuck with one bottling. Only if my first pick didn't hit the spot would I switch.

Rarely I would set out to do a comparison so I'd have something worthwhile to post here. However, even with small pours and the best concentration I could muster I usually found myself losing my frame of reference. I have what it takes to be a drinker, but not a serious taster.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I usually stick with one unless we are doing a comparison... over a long period of time I may roll through a couple, but if I start with X, I end with X unless I empty the bottle...

Tonight I oured the last 1-2 oz from my WTRR1010, I an not sure what I will have next... something that is open I am sure...

There's no hard and fast rule. I normally do not have more than 1 pour in an evening so the question is moot for me...typically. Last night though, I bounced around between Ancient Age BIB, Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr, Johnny Walker Blue and Cherry Coke.

Johnny Walker Blue and Cherry Coke.

Does that work? Not sure it sounds like something I'd like.

In an attempt to stay on topic for a change:

If I have bottles sitting around open, I tend to cycle through them, having several different ones as the mood strikes me.

Craig,

Usually I mix it up, but I have no hard and fast rule.

With the advent of diabetes, I'm drinking a smaller volume (I typically only drink on Friday nights and Saturday) but I've been leaning towards the better quality. I'll get in a grove in time.

Will

More than half the time I stick with one bottling. When I don't, I break it up by waiting a while before switching.

I like to move from one bottling to the next (on weekends, which is the only time I drink more than one pour). Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero or ginger ale break up the session so that I don't wind up drinking a bunch of bourbon without a break. These sodas (and water) cleanse the palate a bit.

Regards,

I usually have more than one (up to 4) in a tasting setting, or switch through the evening when simply drinking. Only recently -- in my quest to empty some bottles -- have I followed one pour with another from the same bottle.

Very seldomly, do I have 2 of the same back-to-back. I may revisit one later in the evening, but I like to compare and contrast the different offerings first.

Except on Thanksgiving, when the drink is limited to Wild Turkey, I usually never drink the same thing twice. Variety is the spice of life!

Thomas

I rarely have the same pour twice in the same night. I've got so many open that I now try to compare/contrast different expressions.

I usually only switch when doing comparisons. The other time I switch is when I go from bourbon to that stuff from across the water. Tonight, for example, I had a drink of Kentucky Spirit but my wife was drinking Ardbeg Renaissance. So for my 2nd drink I had a glass of water, got a clean glass and poured from her bottle.

As with many others in this thread I typically stick to one bottling unless comparing. What I like to do is pop open a bottle and not let it sit open for too long. Over the course of the next few months I like to finish it off. Currently I am halfway done with my WT tribute. I will be very sad when its gone. A great pour. I do hope WTAS can fill this void for me.

I rarely have the same pour twice in the same night. I've got so many open that I now try to compare/contrast different expressions.

I see we share more than just a name.

I rarely go back to the same bottle in the same night. I too love variety !!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.