Crown Royal Limited Edition

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got back from Toronto tonight...unfortunately, I did not succeed in my mission to get to a LCBO with a good selection (they kept us busy and with training during the day and evening dinners etc. The LCBO by my hotel was closed by the time I had a chance to get into it..10-8:00..so I had to settle for the duty free shop. The selection at Pearson Intl Airport is somewhat limited...various bottlings of Crown Royal, Gibsons, Wisers De Luxe, VSOP etc. I did pick up a Crown Royal Limited Edition...I have not tasted it yet. I tried CR and Gibson's at the hotel bar...both are nice, light, easy drinking whiskys.

Interestingly, the Ltd Edition is not on the CR site:

http://www.crownroyal.com/

The CR Ltd Edition is 80 proof...The bottle states "Truly Majestic. Limited Edition is blended with distinguished batch-distilled whiskies to create an exceptionally smooth and rich taste that could only come from the kingdom of Crown Royal."

I will taste it soon....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batch_distillation

"Batch distillation[1] refers to the use of distillation in batches, meaning that a mixture is distilled to separate it into its component fractions before the distillation still is again charged with more mixture and the process is repeated. This is in contrast with continuous distillation where the feedstock is added and the distillate drawn off without interruption."

What is the purpose and effect of this process?

Limited Edition is a good product, quite characterful. It is hard to understand just from the label description and the Wikipedia entry what is meant by batch distillation in this context. The key to my mind is what the distilling out-proof is of the batch whiskies. If they are in the range of that for bourbon or malt whisky, or Cognac, they would constitute the heavier-bodied whiskies that retain more congeners than whiskies matured from spirit distilled at 196 proof or in that range. I think Seagram distinguishes too between heavy and light batch whiskies, so it may use a range of distilling out proofs and of course different mashbills.

My sense is that the most recent products on the market here, e.g., Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve and Wiser's Small Batch, are using more batch whiskies in the sense mentioned. I believe a small-scale continuous still though can function as a batch for this purpose.

Gary

I rate Crown Royal Limited Edition among my favourite Canadian whiskies. I have heard that it's a 15-year-old, if that makes any difference to you. I compared it side-by-side to regular CR, and it was definitely smoother, more full-bodied, and deeper in flavour. I noticed more brown sugar and spice notes along with the fresh, herbal CR profile.

anyone try the XR? how is it?

I rate Crown Royal Limited Edition among my favourite Canadian whiskies. I have heard that it's a 15-year-old, if that makes any difference to you. I compared it side-by-side to regular CR, and it was definitely smoother, more full-bodied, and deeper in flavour. I noticed more brown sugar and spice notes along with the fresh, herbal CR profile.

anyone try the XR? how is it?

The general consensus is that Cask 16 is better than XR especially for the $$.

I got to try Cask 16 when I was in Las Vegas earlier this month. Regular CR has always been one of my favorite whiskies. Sad to say, but the Cask 16 was somewhat of a disappointment to me. Joe

I bought a bottle of the Limited Edition in Germany and finished it off. I liked th ebottle design so I brought the empty home. Customs got a kick out of bringing back empty bottles from overseas. I thought the Limited Edition ranked between the Special Reserve and regular bottling.

I have an unopened XR and Cask 16. I had earlier tried the Cask 16 and it reminded me of Napoleon Champagne Cognac, evidently the cask had a significant impact on my bottle.

So far I like the Special Reserve best but that isn't to say that any of the other Crown Royal offerings are lesser whiskies. Dec 07 I got several CRSR bottles that were distinctly better than previous ones and I wondered if they had changed their blending formula or I was just lucky.

Cheers!

Yeah, the bottle is really nice. I liked it better than the Special Reserve, but I had them years apart so that is hardly a reliable judgement.

For me, the Limited Edition is an oakier version of the regular CR. The Special Reserve is a whole different matter - one that has a family resemblance but far more depth and complexity for my money.

Tried the Cask 16 once and was not impressed. Guess I just didn't like the cognac influance. The XR is by far the best Cdn whisky I've had, but it still doesn't justify the price point IMHO. Still a Crown Royal but with a wonderfuly defined flavour profile - as if the painting was more vivid when compared to the regular CR.

Ok...I opened the bottle...very nice screw top...good quality container.

Color...nice dark honey.

Nose...light alcohol...sweet.

Taste..neat..very light, pleasant, sweet taste..a little vanilla...not that oaky...no burn.

Not a lot of complexity...but a very very drinkable whiskey....rather too

drinkable. This whiskey could easily be over consumed! Similar to the standard CR but I think a little sweeter. It is smooooth.

In some sense, this is a typical Canadian...light, sweetish, easy drinking...a little higher proof would be interesting ...how does CR compare to Wisers?

I have read the Wisers may have more rye...spice...true?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.