Lagavulin 12 vs. 16

Megawatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 is barrel proof and the 16 is standard. The 12 is much more intense but the 16 is classic. I say if you have the means get both!

One's a little younger and one's a little older.

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

I couldn't resist.

~tp

I like peat and smoke, but not exclusively. I mean that a whisky needs to have balance. I hated Lagavulin 16 the first time I tried it, but I'm now a fan. On the other hand, I found Laphroaig Quarter Cask to be too one-dimensional; it lacked the richness underneath the smoke that Lagavulin and Talisker offer.

As for buying both bottles, that bill would come to $235. I'm not made of money, you know. But I would like to get one this year, hence the question. I'm leaning toward the 12, only because I've never tried it and it being cask-strength presents a better value.

If you've never tried the 12 year old, definitely give it a shot. Overall, though, I think the 16 is the better whiskey. Indeed, there are perhaps only a hand full of malts I've tasted that I think are better than Laga 16.

As is usually the case, especially with heavily peated malts, the younger one is more brash, more in your face, and being cask strength, this is even moreso. The 16 is more balanced and complex, though still very smoky.

Enjoy!

If you've never tried the 12 year old, definitely give it a shot. Overall, though, I think the 16 is the better whiskey. Indeed, there are perhaps only a hand full of malts I've tasted that I think are better than Laga 16.

As is usually the case, especially with heavily peated malts, the younger one is more brash, more in your face, and being cask strength, this is even moreso. The 16 is more balanced and complex, though still very smoky.

Enjoy!

I agree with this assessment. There is also some sherry casking coming from the 16 that adds to the complexity that isn't there in the 12. The 12 is more of a brutish wonder without the complexity.

As an aside, I'd get the Laga DE in Ontario given the latest price increases. I think it's currently actually cheaper than the 16!

I like peat and smoke, but not exclusively. I mean that a whisky needs to have balance. I hated Lagavulin 16 the first time I tried it, but I'm now a fan. On the other hand, I found Laphroaig Quarter Cask to be too one-dimensional; it lacked the richness underneath the smoke that Lagavulin and Talisker offer.

My recommendation would be to try the Talisker 18 before it goes up in price. There's been a price increase in Diagio products at the LCBO recently that has until now escaped the 18yr Talisker. Not sure when this will be rectified so perhaps consider that as an option. Next to $125 for Laga 16, and something comperable for Laga 12, $100 for Talisker 18 sounds reasonable, no?

My recommendation would be to try the Talisker 18 before it goes up in price. There's been a price increase in Diagio products at the LCBO recently that has until now escaped the 18yr Talisker. Not sure when this will be rectified so perhaps consider that as an option. Next to $125 for Laga 16, and something comperable for Laga 12, $100 for Talisker 18 sounds reasonable, no?

True enough. How does the 18 compare to the 10?

True enough. How does the 18 compare to the 10?

More elegant and complex while less...expressive than the 10 from my memory. Only tried the 18 a while ago at a couple of SOI festivals so not the best place to form an opinion. A quieter, more sophisticated sibling than the 10yr.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.