Elijah Craig

Winslow
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have the opportunity to buy some EC 18 year old for $37.67/750 ml OR wait a week until the store gets in EC 12 year old for $16.98. What opinions have ye on this little conundrum? ( wink.gif Hint: I'd spend the $37 but only if it's waaaay better.)

Thanks

Winslow

One is not so much better than the other as they are completely different. The 18-year-old is an acquired taste and, clearly, also an expensive one. I like it very much, but can't enjoy it often due to the price. The 12-year-old is quite good and a good value for the price (although your prices for both seem a little high), though I would also characterize it as pretty ordinary. It doesn't taste like 12 years. Let's say it's young for its age. If you are interested in an extra-aged bourbon and can get the Ezra Brooks 15-year-old, try that first. It is similar to the EC 18 and about $10 cheaper.

Thank you, sir. I believe I'll wait for the 12 and see about the Ezra Brooks. There is a store here that has 40 different Bourbons. They may have the EB. The guy says he can get Old Forester 100 proof, too.

As far as prices, Michigan, I think, has some of the highest. I know you're not a Scotch drinker, and aren't familiar with the prices. But I tell ya, I used to load up when I came to Chicago. I would think the price differentials would also apply to Bourbons, as well. But my pal tells me they don't. When you get a chance, tell me what you're paying for your selections.

Thanks Winslow

Some recent prices from either Sam's or Binny's in Chicago (all 750 ml):

Baker's Bourbon -- $24.99

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage -- $24.49

Van Winkle Rye 13-year-old -- $23.99

Old Forester 86 -- $9.99

Old Forester 100 -- $13.99

Commonwealth 10-year-old -- $20.49

Elmer T. Lee -- $19.99

Old Weller Special Reserve -- $14.99

Elijah Craig 12-year-old -- $15.99

Wild Turkey Rye -- $17.99

Old Grand-Dad BIB -- $16.99

Woodford Reserve -- $27.99

Maker's Mark -- $19.99

Ezra Brooks 15-year-old -- $25.99

I envy your price on Baker's. Can't be found here less than $34 frown.gif But we can get MM and WR at about $4 less per bottle grin.gif

Awesome! laugh.gif Unfortunately Michigan doesn't run sales. frown.gif I'm paying mid-high thirties here. We'll be visiting our friends in Palos Hills in a couple of weeks. Is one of these stores that you mention anywhere around that area?

Winslow

My EC 12 isn't in yet, but this place did have Ezra Brooks. They did not have the 15 year old so I bought a 375 ml bottle of 90 proof (age unknown)for under $5.00. A cheap way to sample it! I don't know what to make of it. I get a strong licorice taste. I don't think I like this one too much. What's your thoughts on this compared to the 15 year old? What's with the St. Louis MO on the label? Doesn't true Bourbon have to be distilled and bottled in Kentucky?

Nope,

Virginia Gentleman, a great bourbon in its own right isnt. It is redistilled and aged & bottled in VA.

TomC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.