Defining Premium Bourbon

kickert
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tend to put the price point for "premium" around $25 as well. At this point you are getting into bourbons that are not mass produced but single barrel / small batch. Interesting enough this is also the point where tops move from screw top to corks. Are their exceptions to this? Are there any small batch / single barrel bourbons with screw tops, or mass produced bourbons with corks? The only one I can think of in the later catagory is Bulleit.

I totally overlooked ORVW 10/107. It has a screwtop

This forum leads to a judgement call and there will be things posted here that most dont agree with. But, should we Kick them out?? Hell NO!!

We dont all think the same. So, we should just talk about it like we do int the normal forum.

I like... he likes.... Cork, screw top.... it really doesnt matter.

Oh, and whats with that stuff floating in the bottom of ORVW 10/107 ??

any one know what that is??

I dont like things in my Bourbon that I dont know what they are!! and at time I dont even like the Charcoal in the last part of a George T. Stagg bottle. Its a let down for me.

If you do a copy and paste on this " Fatty acids " , yes copy the quotes as well and you'll get about 8 or 9 threads. They will not hurt you at all and a coffee filter will cure you Stagg problem, but so will staying away from barrel proof whiskey. Or better yet when it gets down to a quarter left you can send it my way:lol:

Cheers!

Tony

Yes, but those fatty acids sure do look alot like pieces of plastic.

and for the stagg... i hate trying to sip around the bigger pieces of charcoal.

The last part, should be the sip that you remember forever!? RIGHT?? I remember the charcoal.. not the bourbon.

The Fatty acids in unchillfiltered whiskey add both flavor and body. The grit in the bottom of the bottle of minimally filtered whiskeys like Stagg, Bookers, and Handy are naturally present. 110+ years ago you would have gotten a lot more charcoal with your bourbon as it was decanted from the barrel into bottles right there in the saloon.

The fact that I like minimally filtered whiskeys that are not chillfiltered, Is that an individual judgment call with respect to quality? Yes and no, More no than yes, since that's the way whiskey is supposed to be, at least historically.

Just my .02

Dont get me wrong... I love both offerings. And I will continue to fight all that get in my way, when trying to acquire a bottle or two to get me through this next year.

I guess if I was around some 100 years ago... it wouldnt bother me as much today. It's kind a like them damn bone in chicken.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I tend to put the price point for "premium" around $25 as well. At this point you are getting into bourbons that are not mass produced but single barrel / small batch. Interesting enough this is also the point where tops move from screw top to corks. Are their exceptions to this? Are there any small batch / single barrel bourbons with screw tops, or mass produced bourbons with corks? The only one I can think of in the later catagory is Bulleit.

there is premium price and premium taste. sometimes they coincide. hopefuly often...

I couldn't agree more, but to add to this, they could coincide in a $10 dollar bottle, or a $100 bottle. It's all a matter of individual preference. The premium value of any particular bourbon, as per price/taste, is generally going to be different with each individual. I hate to sound like Forrest Gump, but to me, premium is as premium does.:grin: Joe

PS "Run Forest! Run!

Our final cork stopper has a natural wood top and an artificial cork. The wine world's migration to artificial cork and even screw tops for premium wines will gradually trickle over to spirits, I think, but not quickly. I'm happy to use artificial cork, though I'd wanted natural originally, after I heard of a microdistillery recalling a white spirit that their natural cork closure had tinted yellow.

"Premium", to distributors, the goverment statisticians that cover spirits, and retail vendors, indicates a price tier and not quality. Not that "premium" shouldn't mean "quality" in other areas of discussion, but worth keeping in mind if you're chatting with an industry person.

"Premium", to distributors, the goverment statisticians that cover spirits, and retail vendors, indicates a price tier and not quality. Not that "premium" shouldn't mean "quality" in other areas of discussion, but worth keeping in mind if you're chatting with an industry person.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that "Premium" has nothing to do with corks, screwcaps or whatever.....Since its the industry that defines what a premium is and not us, I think it has to do with proof and/or age.

Most "non-premium" bourbon seems to be 80, 86, or 90. To me, this is bourbon that is "everyday" and the ones the distillery can count on to sustain itself with strong, steady sales.

When they step outside that, and suddenly offer a 107 proof, or an over 10 yr old, or a single barrel, then that, for them becomes "premium". (which is clearly a marketing term)

In other words, I think its a bourbon that they can introduce outside their usual line, and sees if it sticks. If it does, then they can make more money on that line, if not, they can discontinue it without much impact.

They are constantly defining "premium", not us.......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.