Whiskey in the freezer!

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was surprised to learn that Jimmy Russell keeps his Rare Breed in the freezer so he does not have to add ice...has anybody tried doing this with a bourbon? Does the intense cold remove a lot of the flavor? Is it allowed to sit in the glass for a while...to slightly warm up to cool?

See the thread "Jimmy Russell Says..." from 7/20/2002.

After the, ahem, lukewarm response to my question back then, I still haven't had the nerve to try it. I worry that it might be irreversibly damaged in some way. I figure I'll let someone else risk their $30 bottle. wink.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I can reassure you at least on that point. The whiskey won't be "irreversibly damaged" in the freezer. Remember, most bourbon is chill-filtered before bottling and while this process does removed some flavor, it is the filter not the chill that does it.

I have tried the whiskey-in-the-freezer thing and didn't care for the result.

Oops, sorry for the repitition...before I joined..need to get in the habit of searching first...oh well, like Bobby C says...makes something unpalatable go down..maybe I will test a good bourbon in a small sealed glass.

I used to do this years ago when I didn't drink much hard liquor. Seemed to help it go down easier crazy.gif I tried it again with a 375ml bottle of WR a few months ago. I didn't really care for it. I like my bourbon cool, thats why I usually put a couple of ice cubes in the glass and top it off as the ice dilutes the bourbon. But freezer cold really muted much of the flavor. Of course as it warmed up, the flavors did also. As for damage to the bourbon, it seemd to retain all of its original qualities after I took it out of the freezer. smile.gif

Everything will be fine once you find a freezer that runs on Liquid Nitrogen. Minus 400 degrees . A little hard on the lips and tonque though. smirk.gif

well at least I would have a use for the 1/2 bottle of Ten High I still can't bring myself to drink smirk.gif

Well it's not far to Christmas , I have a recipe for a whiskey cake maybe I could get it posted before then , Generally I like to use a decent whiskey to cook with But I did use Ten High in this cake last year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.