Bourbon County Stout

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a chance to try this tonight and if you like rich, wintery beers and fine bourbon whiskey then do yourself a big favor and pick some up. This is from Goose Island brewery and comes in at 13% ABV. From what I've been able to turn up on line it is aged 10 months in 16 yr. old bourbon barrels. I am not a big beer drinker, but up against a terrific Young's Double Chocolate Stout draught, this bottled Bourbon Stout was a stand out. It has all the coffee/chocolate flavor of the Young's and so much more. Complexity and mouthfeel that is cognac-like. Perfect for fireside sipping. Like I said I'm not a big beer guy, but I think just about anyone would have to recognized the excellence of this drink. If I can find it, I'll be buying several bottles to see me through the winter.

-Mike

I picked up a 4 pack last week (~$21.00!). This is some pretty intense stuff, more like a thick lambic than a beer. While I generally like heavier, malty beers I had mixed feelings on this, 12 ounces was almost more than I wanted at one sitting.

Craig

I'm lucky enough to drink it on tap here in Chicago. A great winter beer. I hear that was aged in HH barell's. Wish you guy's could taste it off a nitro-system. So rich and creamy.

This finally made it out to San Diego. I have had it via beer trades at tasting. I picked up a 4pk for $20 and have yet to open one yet. I think I may stick 'em all away in my wine cage for awhile.

Maybe a good idea. Last year, I enjoyed the 2007 version. I purchased 2008 version last week and to be honest, I didn't enjoy it as much as the 2007 version. I think I purchased the 07 version early spring. SO maybe, this style of beer needs to age. I'm not sure.

One thing I do know is this: Spirits and beer are complex and underapreciated. Sure, you have wine gurus. But I've found spirits and beer to be more enjoyable and rewarding. I'm not sure I can ever go back to mass produced domestic beer. I'm not sure I can ever settle for 1 Bourbon. What Buffalo Trace did for me is start examing and tasting spirits.

I believe if enjoyed responsible, and with moderation, it can lead to health and pleasure. I've tasted 48 craft brews in roughly a year. I have tasted roughly 6 bourbons (can't really do a count right now.) And the pure satisfaction is priceless. Like a Mastercard commercial.

Sorry for any misspellings in the previous post. I just enjoyed an Oak Aged YETI Imperial Stout and didn't have much to eat with it. Therefore, the brain is not on all cylinders. A slight buzz. But regardless, I meant what I said in my post. I am desiring to splurge on the Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year old Bourbon.

Maybe a good idea. Last year, I enjoyed the 2007 version. I purchased 2008 version last week and to be honest, I didn't enjoy it as much as the 2007 version. I think I purchased the 07 version early spring. SO maybe, this style of beer needs to age. I'm not sure.

One thing I do know is this: Spirits and beer are complex and underapreciated. Sure, you have wine gurus. But I've found spirits and beer to be more enjoyable and rewarding. I'm not sure I can ever go back to mass produced domestic beer. I'm not sure I can ever settle for 1 Bourbon. What Buffalo Trace did for me is start examing and tasting spirits.

I believe if enjoyed responsible, and with moderation, it can lead to health and pleasure. I've tasted 48 craft brews in roughly a year. I have tasted roughly 6 bourbons (can't really do a count right now.) And the pure satisfaction is priceless. Like a Mastercard commercial.

In 2007 Anheuser Busch made a "craft" type beer w/ a silly label and name, but the beer was pretty good. Winters Bourbon Cask Ale. I haven't seen any this year. It was good.

My search for bottles of this elixir have come up dry. But I traveled down to Chrystie St. today to New Beer Distributors. Lo and Behold, the bottles were sold out but they were dispensing growlers from a frosty keg. A couple of minutes later, I was out the door with a bottle big enough to serve everyone a tot with pumpkin pie come Thursday. According to the fact sheet shown to me, the stout has been aged over a year in Heaven Hill barrels. Heaven Hill makes some good whiskey! Thanks, Betty Jo et. al.

-Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.