Maker's Mark

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Upon arriving this morning at Bardstown for the festival, Leslie and I decided to drive on out to MM for a quick tour. I will say that I have been on this tour 3 times and this was easily the worst tour yet. Way too crowded; there seemed to be hundreds of people there, and they doubled up the number and size of their tours. Our tour guide was a young girl who didn't seem to have any real knowledge of what was going on. She later told us that she had been hired on only 2 weeks ago and does tours exclusively. How can someone give an effective tour without ever really working there? Anyway, they were having special refreshments at the house on the hill for the guests. After our tour was complete, Leslie and I headed for the free food grin.gif As we were walking up the hill we were blinded by the light. No, not the sun, it was the head high llama himself: Mr. Bill Samuels. This was our first direct meeting with the man. He came across as warm and personable. He invited us in for some refreshments and then sat with us out on the porch talking weather and bourbon as we enjoyed a beautiful afternoon rocking on the porch. He left us to go sign stuff for people in the gift shop. But there, for a moment, we had him all to ourselves. I will say that I think this guy is the real deal and truely belives in what he does. This was easily the best part of the festival for us smile.gif

Hmm... on our tour, we had a girl who had to stop and think a few times, but had all the details. She told us after the tour that it was her first day... this was on monday i believe...

I wonder if Makers Mark hired 'seasonal help' for the bourbon festival crowd?

-Chris

Peggy and I also had the opportunity to meet Mr.Samuels for the first time at this year's festival. As you say he really seems to be the real deal. He talked about the industry and the history of Maker's Mark. I know you get some of the same stories on the tour but it is different when you are hearing it from someone that has really been a part of it.

Was she thin with blonde hair in a pony tail? If so that was probably the same girl. You could tell that she was trying to remember the script. She did a fair job I guess for being so new, but she did get out of order a couple of times and didn't elaborate on important subjects. I think that she might have been a little intimidated with such a large crowd. Our past tours have had about 15-20 people. This one had about 65.

Jeff,

Meeting Bill is a unique experience and he really is interested in the people. As a transplant to KY from NY, I feel a little like an outsider in Bourbonia, but boy a guy like that can really make you feel at home.

Ed and Patty

You know, I have been really pleasantly suprised with everyone I have met that is connected with the bourbon industry. Everyone is so warm and open. Makes you feel like family. Just don't ask for the yeast recipe grin.gif That also goes without saying for the fine people here in Bourbonia. I feel like I have known some of them for years smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I traveled to Lebanon to deliver shirts today......(Maker's Mark is in-between my home town and Lebanon)......There is another warehouse going up for Maker's Mark......the second floor is there.......I forget which number this one is.......the only difference I can see is in the windows.....they are double hung.....

Someone mentioned that the price will go down........Hmmmmmmmm........I was thinking just the opposite.....the price will go up to pay for the new warehouses.....Oh well, Time will tell.....

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

They are planning 4 warehouses as I was told . The price must come down if they are going to get any more of my "Bourbon Dollar" I only buy it when it's on sale and got a few bottles to have on hand . I also have been getting a vip bottle for my sons birthday the last 3 years ( starting with birthday 21) and see that possibly going on for 10 years total . There's only so much mileage you can get even with bourbon. We will all no doubt see Bill Samuels Jr emerge as the elder statesman of Bourbon in the not so distant future. I suppose that the equation in Kentucky makes MM seem overpriced on the whole , But there may be something on the world market keeping the price high. There doesn't appear to be a shortage of it.

• 2 weeks later...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

... Mr. Bill Samuels. This was our first direct meeting with the man. He came across as warm and personable. He invited us in for some refreshments and then sat with us out on the porch talking weather and bourbon as we enjoyed a beautiful afternoon rocking on the porch. He left us to go sign stuff for people in the gift shop. But there, for a moment, we had him all to ourselves. I will say that I think this guy is the real deal and truely belives in what he does.

I have not seen the video as of yet, though I would like to. How do I get it chuck? As for the bourbon: even after sampling some of the premiere bourbons available, I still call this one of my favorites. I think I have a sort of nostalgic feeling towards it, as it was my first bourbon. I have found others that I like more, but MM will always hold a special place in my heart crazy.gif

Chuck's video, "Made and Bottled in Kentucky" is available through his website .

I fancy myself as more of a reader than a viewer, and I own many videos that I've watched only one time. However, I've watched this one about five times in the few months I've owned it.

Over and above my interest in bourbon, I suppose part of my reason for being drawn back to it is the beautiful scenery, much nicer that what I grew up with in So. Ill., and a whole different world than the megalopolis that I now call home.

Yours truly,

Dave "Yes, there is an 'M' in my name, but only one" Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.