Which Van Winkle to open?

voigtman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Time for a change from Stagg and I have a real yen for Van Winkle. I have nine unopened bottles in the bunker, all Lawrenceburg bottlings:

1 bottle Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 YO;

2 bottles Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 15 YO 107 proof (old squat bottle), #'s K9932 and K9949;

3 bottles Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 YO, #'s C349 (with rye seeds in a bag hanging from the neck), C3678 and C3722;

3 bottles Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12 YO (old squat bottle), #'s A2272, A2279 and A2282.

So which one should I open and why? I'll open whichever one gets the most "votes" by Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. EST and try my hand at posting a picture of the bottle. Cheers, Ed

Open one of each so you can enjoy the differences between them. Nothing better than having a Blind Winkle tasting!

Open one of each so you can enjoy the differences between them. Nothing better than having a Blind Winkle tasting!

HA HA HA !!!! n I knew that would be your answer before I even read it !!!:slappin:

My vote goes to the 15/107 !!!!!:bowdown:

The 20 and the 15 and do a head to head. I think too many those are the 2 premier trapped on a desert island bourbons.

Thanks to all so far! This is going to be very tough. The 15 YO was the first bourbon I tried that simply stunned me: before this, I thought (forgive me) that bourbon couldn't go head to head with good single malt. But the 15 YO was outrageously good and that killed the single malt superiority myth. I still remember how the 107 proof made my lips burn (yeah, newbie) and I enjoyed that bottle and then several others. Then they disappeared, but not before I snagged these last two at $38.50 each, which I though was expensive at the time! I have to say that the 15 YO available now is excellent, like all Van Winkles, but nowhere near the Lawrenceburg 15 YO. I also seem to remember that there was an intermediate 15 YO. If I remember right, it was the old squat bottle, but from Frankfort. Not around very long. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this last.

I have not tried the Lawrenceburg Pappy, but the Frankfort Pappy (which is still available here locally at $89.99) is outstanding, so I know the Lawrenceburg Pappy will be memorable when I open it. The voting is nowhere near done, so feel free to weigh in! Part of the pleasure is deferred gratification and anticipation, so make it tough on me! Cheers!

I've got an idea. Don't open ANY of them until I get over to your house! Seriously though, Pappy 15 rules in my book but every bottle of Van Winkle is exquisite in its own way, so you really can't go wrong with whichever one you open. Enjoy and be sure to give us your impressions.

I think a side by side of the 2 Rye's you have would be exciting! The 12 yr old Family time Rye is just that! 12 years old and the "C" you have is the same Rye just 4 years older, if I remember correctly! The first release od the Family Reserve Rye 13 had no letter and was mostly export, the second year was 14 yrs old and carried the alpha code "A" before the numeric code. The Rye just got older and older every year and the letter changed. I believe Julian said it's 19 years old now, so "F" would be the last year before it was tanked.

Any way I'm rambling now! I would love to here your thoughts on the side by side! I have a 12 yr old and the first release with no letter 13 yr old, so if you do this one let me know and I may try it with you and we can compare notes!!

Good luck

Tony

PS -I also see you have 3 of each so if you open one of each of these you still have 2 of each left for a later date.

I say ORVW 15yo, because it's Thanksgiving!

If you open one, I have a Frankfurt ORVW 15 that I'll open with you.

Open bottles of Van Winkle are always a good thing, but for Thanksgiving, I'll have Turkey, both smoked and Wild (12 year old).

Open bottles of Van Winkle are always a good thing, but for Thanksgiving, I'll have Turkey, both smoked and Wild (12 year old).
Hmmm, now you've got me thinking!

Results are in:

2 votes for opening one of each and doing a 4 way "Blind Winkle" tasting (!),

1 vote for a H-T-H of the 2 bourbons,

1 vote for a H-T-H of the 2 ryes,

1 vote for the Pappy 20 alone,

and the winner is 5 votes for the ORVW 15 YO! So, I will now open it, pour, photograph and see if I can upload the picture. Stay tuned!

Wow, the ORVW 15 YO is every bit as good as I remembered it! My palate is terrible compared to many of you (OK, almost all of you). Even so, this one has definite tobacco notes. The color is very deep, with an almost red hue to it. The 107 proof is perfect and the taste is very luxurious. This is perfect bourbon! Now let me see about the pictures. Hope this works ...

post-421-14489815020651_thumb.jpg

post-421-14489815021074_thumb.jpg

Ha ha, it worked! (This is all due to Jim hosting such a professional web site: thanks, Jim!) So, next week some time, I will open the Lawrenceburg Pappy 20 and attempt a H-T-H. Even though I expect to be lousy at it, it seems like a no lose situation if there ever was one. Then, nearer Christmas, I'll open one of each of the ryes and do a H-T-H. Cheers and thanks to all who voted! Chuck is right that whiskey don't keep, but I'm glad it kept long enough for me to get another go at a now (sadly extinct) perfect bourbon!

I'll look forward to your rye notes. That 12 yr old is one of my grail bottles. By the time, I realized what was going on, it was gone. But I have very fond memories of it. It's really interesting the way the aging thing has taken over whiskey. I have found younger bottles better than their older siblings. A six vs. a 9 yr old Crow is a good example. The nine was very good. But the 6 was fabulous. Be interesting to see what a few extra years did to the Van Winkle rye.

-Mike

Chuck is right that whiskey don't keep, but I'm glad it kept long enough for me to get another go at a now (sadly extinct) perfect bourbon!

I agree with you on this. Thanks for posting the pics, I'll have to figure out how to do that. I've got my ORVW 15 out and am enjoying a healthy pour. It is indeed exquisite. I'm very curious to see your reaction to the Pappy 20 vs. the ORVW 15.

Jim

Ok, I just opened up an ORVW 15 too, and having a generous pour. Mighty fine bourbon, this is! It's a Frankfort '02 bottling...A5993, the one I found in a store about week or so ago.

I have . . . the first release with no letter 13 yr old

Pls. let me know what you think.

I bought a half a dozen of those to start my bunker, but I keep raiding my bunker, so now only have one left. Easily the fastest moving whisky in my home.

Yeah, I have 2 renditions open right now so it may be a while! I know it's hard to picture, why some one would not just open another bottle, but I currently have over 50 open on the bar!

It may take a little while to get the count down.

I do try to post notes on any new bottle I open so I will do that here once I open it.

Thanks for your help David and it sounds like you may want to stock up again.

Cheers!

Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.