Labrot & Graham tour

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello, all.

I hope everyone had a great time down at the Bourbon Festival this weekend. Jo and I were happy we could join the group at Labrot & Graham and BT.

Looks like folks have started a few postings and I thought I'd separate them out.

At L&G, Chris Morris gave a great tour. Those of us who arrived early got a taste of the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon which was released this year on Sept. 2 as the celebration of George Garvin Brown’s birth – he’d be 156 if still living. A different bourbon will be released each year on this date as Birthday Bourbon. This year’s release was 95 proof and was bourbon barreled March 21, 1989. It had a wonderful mix of brown and orange color – a distinctive OF spice in flavor. Those that joined later did not miss out as everyone was able to sample this with other OF products after lunch.

I’m sure there will be much discussion here about the pot stills and how they’ve rigged them to allow to re-circulate.

However, after touring this historic distillery we were given a great lunch and then given five bourbons, some white dog, and three Tennessee whiskies.

Three of the bourbons were Old Forester Products. The 86 proof averaging 6-7 years with nice wood and spice tones and just a hint of vanilla, the 100 proof, a nine year old bourbon if I recall correctly, where I thought I tasted cinnamon tones, and the 95 proof birthday bourbon mentioned already.

Two of the bourbons were Woodford Reserve. Now it is tough to name these because I’m tempted to say “new†and “old†and I know Chris Morris and Lincoln Henderson and Wayne won’t like that. So I’ll just say first we actually tasted current Woodford reserve – distilled in Louisville and aged at L&G, bottled at 90.4 proof. Chris pointed out the taste distinctions between WR and OF. You get many more taste notes in Woodford Reserve. Where OF is heavy on spice, WR is more balanced.

Then we tasted barrel proof, 6 ½ year old (future) Woodford Reserve distilled in those pot stills and coming out of the barrel at 118 proof. I tried to cut it but there was no way to get it to 90.4 proof exactly to match current Woodford. Brown-Forman/Labrot & Graham is doing everything they can to have this product match exactly their award winning current Woodford Reserve.

We tasted white dog or “new make†as they called it from the L&G pot stills. Good corn “likor†but some hint of nutty taste.

Originally to get Woodford Reserve, Master Distiller Lincoln Henderson chose 3000 barrels from upper floors on the sunny side in Louisville and brought them to L&G to age. Let me point out that one of the major differences between current Woodford Reserve and future Woodford Reserve will not only be the distillation process but also the water. At L&G near Frankfort they use traditional limestone water – direct from the ground. The Louisville distillery uses reverse osmosis or treated water. Perhaps they'll simply say that one of the best bourbons just gets better!

They also had a tasting of their biggest selling whiskey – Jack Daniels and the three Jack products. Gentlemen Jack is the light/soft product, Black Label (major seller) Jack Daniels is in the medium range, and JD single barrel is the mature product. Most of us will stick with Bourbon.

Thanks, again, to Omar and to Chris Morris and Lincoln for this tour and tasting.

BOURBON--LICIOUS

Yep, that was one helluva tour they put on, they really made us feel special cool.gifcool.gif , Like you said I know there will be a lot of discussion about the "continuous" nature of their pot stills, I must say that it was a quite striking site to enter that room. I have some tasting notes for the "Birthday Bourbon" around here somewhere, and I will post them when I can get my act together.

Again, a big BLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! to Omar for hooking us up so wonderfully.

Tom C

PS a note to L&G, that chicken salad stuff is TO DIE FOR!!

So they will keep the Woodford Reserve name on the new bourbon? Seems risky to me to try to duplicate a bourbon that is 1-Distilled in a different manor 2-Uses a different water source 3-has been aged 100% of its life in a different location and most of all 4-will be the acumulation of 100% of the barrels produced, not just 3000 or so of the "best" barrels. I'm sure it will be some great bourbon, but what if it is not the same? Are those of us who love the current WR just SOL?

Also, has anyone seen any of the birthday bourbon for sale anywhere? I was at the Liquor Barn last night and it was nowhere to be found.

The only point I can perhaps dispute is that Woodford Reserve of the future will be 100% of the barrels produced at Labrot and Graham. A large operation line Brown-Forman does not have to use a barrel they don't think measures' up to WR. They can ship it to Louisville and mingle it into something else.

However, since the L&G process is almost "micro-distillery" as I believe someone pointed out -- they'd be better off not to have to do that.

I must admit that earlier I expected they'd keep Woodford Reserve in Louisville and introduce new products from L&G.

Greg,

Sounds like a great time, wish I could have been there. My wife and I visited L&G a few years ago, and enjoyed the tour a lot. This summer we visited Jack Daniel's distillery, and we definitely liked the L&G tour and their Woodford Reserve better than the JD tour and their products. I'm wondering what your impressions of the 6 1/2 yo future Woodford Reserve were. Was it similiar to the current WR? Any info on when they think it will be ready for release?

Bob

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg it was so good to see you and JoJo again! I only wish you could have made it to Bobby's for the cook out. Master Distiller 'in training' Chris Morris went out of his way to give us honest, and new information. Only when pressed for more sensitive propritary intel did he back off. I really enjoyed being one of the first 'non-Brown-Forman employees' to taste the pot-stilled bourbon. That was quite a treat in and of itself. You could really taste the copper in this whiskey. Moreso than any other. Very interseting stuff, but not real sure of what to make of it. "Did it taste good?" you might ask. "Yes it did." is my answer. " Was it the best bourbon you ever tasted in your life?" you inquire. "No, not by a long shot" I opine. The pot-stilled whiskey still needs work and time. And that is exactly what it is going to get. I trust Chris Morris and Lincoln Henderson to eventually get it right. We just have to wait a little longer, that's all. There are other factors involved, but that is another post for another time. smile.gif

This is a quickly thrown together thing for the poor souls that couldn't make it...

I hope we can add photos from some of the other folks that attended. Anyone that was there, please feel free to help me with more descriptive captions for the photos.

Beej

[image]http://www.centralky.com/~brendaj[/image]

Cool.....

What's that small appendage up close to the top of each pot still? Is that some sort of pressure release or an indicator of some type?

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and tidbits. Alot of info struck interests that I have concerning Woodford. Woodford is at the top of my list currently, and God am I concerned about the "new" bourbon coming out. Please oh Please I hope it doesn't change---At All! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.