Buffalo Taste Tour

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Buffalo Trace tour and tasting on Sept. 19 was hosted by Ken Weber and Julian VanWinkle with special effort by Mike Veach to make this even more memorable.

It's easy to get a good argument among distillers and while Labrot and Graham claims the oldest existing distillery the folks at Buffalo Trace claim the oldest existing distilling site (or something like that). But as easy as it is to get mixed up in the history, this trip was about tasting!

The tasting started with a range (I knew I should have brought back that place mat, Ken crazy.gif ) with white dog, wheated bourbons by age on one side and step-by-step up to 18 year-old rye whiskey (WOW) on the other side.

I do want to comment on the wheated and the rye. Ken did not identify these by label or if he did I was too busy tasting but I know the rye was Sazerac 18-year-old. These were mighty-fine products. The wheated product was nice and smooth with a balance of vanilla and spice. The 18-year-old rye provided what some call that "hot" rye flavor, just a nice kick to let you know you're tastin' rye!

However, I was waiting for the Master Distiller's Room and the George T. Stagg. After tasting some 16 product before this I did not try to make tasting notes. However, I can tell you that the Geroge T. Stagg is 15 year old bourbon, bottled for us at 130 proof, uncut and unfiltered -- just poured through a cheesecloth to keep the barrel particles out. TASTY !!!!!

Some tried to comment vs. Bookers but I'd prefer to do that when I can sample them side by side without having any other bourbons first. This is a bourbon I'll drink with a bit of water, as I do Booker's. But I can highly recommend it based on the Distiller's sample we had. I believe it will ship in October.

I suppose I should start a new thread for bourbon Julian and Mike brought... but here I go anyway.

MY GAWD.... I think we died and went to BOURBONIA-HEAVEN. I mean after a morning that included barrel strength Woodford Reserve at L&G, an after lunch treat at BT that included George T. Stagg, Julian pulls out bourbon from Stitzel-Weller distilled in 1970, bottled in 1984, a wheater with this wonderful cream-caramel flavor. TRIPLE WOW. As great as the bourbon is today I can see why some say they just don't make bourbon the way they used to.

Mike brought several bottles and while the Yellowstone Mike had found was really interesting he then pulled out two bottles of Julian's bourbon for the Japanese market. This was bourbon that Julian had asked Mike to write tasting notes on. This one at 112.2 proof barreled in 1980 and bottled in 2001 was absolutely fantastic!

A GREAT time with GREAT friends and Bourbons where the word GREAT just isn't even enough.

It was great to see all of you who were there! I'll look for what others want to add to this. Hope those of you at the Bourbon Festival this year had a great time including the now famous Gazeebo.

BOURBON-LICIOUS

We just got home... if we can manage to dig out the carload of stuff that we brought back, there may be those tasting placemats under everything, i can post what was on them if you like...

The one-two punch of L+G and BT was an insane day of bourbon-tasting (and a good discount in the BT gift shop as well)... Thursday night i figured that nothing could top it, but then we were proven wrong again and again at the gazebo and Bobby's barbecue...

-Chris and Kristin

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

What a great treat! Good old BT#2 - What can't it do?!! Many thanks to Ken Weber and all the fine folks at Buffalo Trace for such a good time. The George T. Stagg Single Barrel Bourbon at 15 years of age is just another great bourbon that I want more of. A great bourbon in every sense of the word. Not quite as sweet as the younger Elmer T. Lee but very simular in taste - only older. Loved every drop. laugh.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.