2008 BTAC ER 17yr

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Have y'all had this yet. This is crazy good. Like S-W meets heavy cream vanilla ice cream while enjoying a cup of English Afternoon tea... and not like the Vintage 17yr tea, the nice light earth, cream and rye type...

I have one... I will be finding more...

I didn't see the first bottle in Lexington. I would love to try some during the sampler...hint, hint.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried this tonight and I have to agree with Emerald -- lots of tea flavor mixed with a touch of whipped cream and a long, long oak finish. Subtle but memorable...heck, unforgettable.

Did a side-by-side tasting of this with the regular 10 year expression...here were my notes...

ER10...

Nose: Strong oak, a hint of vanilla and maple sugar, strong alcohol vapors

First Sip: Spicy rye, oak and leather...not harsh but very in-your-face.

Next: Sweetness opens up and I'm getting that maple sugar I smelled, a softer feel in the mouth although the alcohol is definitely present in the flavor.

Finish: Fairly longish with a great lingering oak and hints of ripe fruit.

BTAC ER17...

Nose: Very woody/tannic, but hardly any alcohol burn in the nose

First Sip: Soft, silky texture is the first thing I notice followed by a touch of creamy caramel...it tastes vaguely woody, but most of this is still in the nose.

Next: Vanilla. The entire flavor profile in this seems very subtle.

Finish: Soft lingering wood that goes on forever...I imagine the barrel resting in a pastoral meadow with soft moss growing all over it....delicious.

After that, I decided to vat the two together 1:1 to see what I came up with...I was very pleased with the results:

ER10 & 17 Vat....

Nose: Maple sugar...woody but so sweet

First Sip: The flavor almost knocked me over it was so big...much more so than either alone...rye, very strong tea with cream, and sweet maple

Finish: The tea flavor continues and is joined by that wonderful soft oak.

This combo is a real winner (if not especially inventive). I'm usually a purist and don't get into vatting, but I'll definitely be doing this again. When I finished this pour I started all over again with the 10 to the 17 and then mixed the two again...everything was a lot sweeter the second time around, but this was just a great night of bourbon tasting!

Great notes, I'll have to try that. I haven't opened this years ER17 or my ER10 for that matter, just as soon as I get over this cold I'll get to it. GTS has been very medicinal this week.;)

I gotta say I loved the ER17 - it is better than the 10 SB. However, given it costs more than double the regular offering, I think I will stick with the 10 yo expression. It ends up it my top 5 list, but is pretty low on my value list.

-bk

I gotta say I loved the ER17 - it is better than the 10 SB. However, given it costs more than double the regular offering, I think I will stick with the 10 yo expression. It ends up it my top 5 list, but is pretty low on my value list.

-bk

A little less than double for me...$48 vs. $27, but I hear what you're saying...luckily I bunkered one for a special occasion, because I don't think I could buy this with any regularity (even on an annual basis)....neither would be high on my value list (I assume, math hurts my pea-sized brain :grin: ).

I can't believe you can get BTAC for under $50. For that price, I could see myself buying a bottle.

If I am spending $50+ I want something that is completely unlike anything on my shelf. That is why GTS holds such a high place in my heart.

Hidden
I can't believe you can get BTAC for under $50.

Yup, the NH Liquor Store & its low, low price is the about the only advantage I have up here. Big sacrifice as far as selection goes, though, so keep that in mind (although the holidays seem to have brought out some rare finds) -- can't get much without heavy traveling either (& even the NH Liquor Store is a two-hour roundtrip plus $8 in tolls). Count your own blessings, my friend.

I can't believe you can get BTAC for under $50.

Yup, the NH Liquor Store & its low, low price is the about the only advantage I have up here. Big sacrifice as far as selection goes, though, so keep that in mind (although the holidays seem to have brought out some rare finds) -- can't get much without heavy traveling either (& even the NH Liquor Store is a two-hour roundtrip plus $8 in tolls). Count your own blessings, my friend.

I have to agree with some earlier comments. I did, strangely, get tea flavor with my ER 17 also.

I have to agree with some earlier comments. I did, strangely, get tea flavor with my ER 17 also.

I get a tea hit with a lot of the rye mashes..... I have began to drink more tea and I think "tea" is a great way to discrive a plethora of flavors that you cannot put your hands on...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.