Bourbon Truffles -- advice?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife found a recipe for bourbon truffles and we're going to make a batch as Holiday goodies for our near and dear.

My grandfather makes Rum Balls every year that are to die for and he uses Bacardi 151 for the high proof so that the rum flavor is really prevalent. I'm wondering whether it would be a better idea to go for a high proofer (which, looking at my collection right now would be a rye-based bourbon -- probably WTRB or Baker's) or go for a wheater, which I think would be more suited for a sweet candy (even though it would be only a 90 proofer). I was thinking WLW SR.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

There are a couple of people on this board who make awesome bourbon balls and I hope one of them answers you. I am more of an eater than a maker, and your grandfather is entitled to his preference, but higher proof really means more neutral alcohol and relatively less flavor, since all of the flavor is in the non-alcohol components of the mixture. I say use the bourbon whose flavor you like the best. If you like it in the glass, you'll probably like it encased in chocolate too. The worst choice would be to use something you don't normally drink because it sounds good on paper.

I think I disagree a little Chuck, in the since that the higher proof bourbons are just not watered down as much so they would have more original flavors (say OWA vs WSR)... Assuming that the entry proof is the same, or very close.

Andy,

I recommend you go get some Old Weller Antique (107 proof) and try that. I do not recommend the William Larue Weller due to cost and I think the OWA would give a better flavor profile for what you are doing ($20 for a bottle makes it a nice bourbon to add to your shelf)... In any case, I would go with a wheated bourbon even at a lower proof if that is all you have... It is where I went for the bourbon cake...

And please post the receipt... I want to give then a try as well.

I make chocolate truffles every year around the holidays. I think the alcohol addition really accentuates the chocolate flavor. Because I'm Franco-American, I've always used the more traditional brandy or cognac, but now, after reading your post, I want to make my truffles with bourbon (put a little more 'Meriken in the French dessert).

My votes would be for something with a big vanilla/toffee/caramel payload instead of a fruity/spicy/grainy/herbal range. EC12 comes to mind. Same with any Stagg.

I think I disagree a little Chuck, in the since that the higher proof bourbons are just not watered down as much so they would have more original flavors (say OWA vs WSR)... Assuming that the entry proof is the same, or very close.

Andy,

I recommend you go get some Old Weller Antique (107 proof) and try that. I do not recommend the William Larue Weller due to cost and I think the OWA would give a better flavor profile for what you are doing ($20 for a bottle makes it a nice bourbon to add to your shelf)... In any case, I would go with a wheated bourbon even at a lower proof if that is all you have... It is where I went for the bourbon cake...

And please post the receipt... I want to give then a try as well.

Thanks, Emerald.

I can't get any Wellers other than the SR around here (& the BTAC WLW in NH) so I went with that. I, too, thought that the lower the proof the more diluted & so, less flavorful. Anyway, I think the WLW SR will work out nicely -- I knew I had to go wheat and wasn't willing to spare a VW or VSOF for this purpose. If they come out well, I may splurge next time on a fancier bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.