I picked up a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac on Friday...

shoshani
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...and I'm having a LOT of trouble putting it down!

This is a seriously enjoyable rye. At 6 years old it seems to be basically Baby Saz at barrel strength. Picked up another one tonight just to bunker.

Don't have the 08 as of yet. If it is anywhere near the 1st year 06 bottle, it should be fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you what, I'm not really a rye type of guy. I did get to taste the 08 Handy at a small SB get together/tasting at Binny's a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is, ''WOW"! Rye, bourbon, whatever. This was one great tasting whiskey. I was very, very impressed. Joe

I am soooooooooooo jealous. It's no where to be found in my neck of the woods. And, internet sales are naturally a threat to the alcohol control board's control. A road trip to Kentucky might be in order.

I absolutely loved the '06. It was one of my all-time favorite whiskeys. The '07, on the other hand, needed a lot of time to open up. Once it did it was very very good, but the '06 was still better.

I would have to try them side-by-side to pick my favorite, but I think the '08 rivals the '06, at least in terms of which I prefer. It's different - not quite as powerful as the '06 - and the '08 is surprisingly refined and nuanced for a barrel-proof, especially for only 6 1/2 years old. I agree with Lost Pollito, it's very well-balanced.

If you can, do yourself a favor and get some.

i bought my bottle maybe less than 2 weeks ago...perhaps?

that bottle was empty 2 days ago or so...i miss it already.

one of the best i've ever had. one of those $50+ bottles that was more than worth the ticket price.

not sure if i want to go for another or try the 08 Stagg.....that is, if any are left

I can't get the Stagg up here, but the Handy Saz is a great surrogate! I'll have Stagg someday, but I can't imagine it being more enjoyable than this bottle. I'm glad you guys know how old it is (6.5 years I read?)...I was surprised that there wasn't an age statement on the bottle...also, is this a single barrel bottling? There is nothing to indicate this on the label, so I though it might be a mingling of different ages/barrels to create the tasty end product. Either way, this is all incidental, because this stuff is just heaven in a glass.....smooth, woody but sweet and seductive....glad I bunkered one, I may not be able to make this bottle last.

stagg is now available in further neighboring counties....it's ok. i had the 2007. i am sanctified.

and the 2008 handy saz was even better. i'm ok.

of course, we can always be more than ok.

but this WT rye is really much more than ok...:grin: i'm fine with that.

Don't have the 08 as of yet. If it is anywhere near the 1st year 06 bottle, it should be fantastic!

The Handy 06' is off-the-charts good! As was the ER17, and the Saz 18. All open here... ri-dic-u-lous.

The Handy is gone... and i forgot to write tasting notes on that one.

BB

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.