Worst QPR Bourbon

NYtaster
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know weve done this before but with the QPR thread fresh, what do you all think are the worst values in bourbon today. Now mind you I don't say these are bad pours, just that you sure don't get what you pay for. Here's my picks.

Knob Creek - Not bad but WAY overpriced. Too many bars in NY think this is the be all and end all of "Top Shelf Bourbon" ~$40 for 750ml here and and astounding $7.50 a pour at my favorite cigar bar!

Makers Mark - Marketing gone wrong

JD - I know its not bourbon but its the leader in pay for the name not the whiskey catagory in my opinion.

Well after applying "the formula" I have concluded of the bourbons I have tasted, PVW20 and Blanton's are the worst values I have ever had. They are not bad, they are just not $100 / $50 good respectivively.

I have not had the PVW23, but since I thought the 20 was too old, I can only imagine spending more time in wood and costing 2.5 times would only make the QPR worse.

Here in Hawaii, any mid-range Bourbon is treated as top-shelf "Premium" and true Premium can only be found at a few specialty liquor stores and bars.

MM and Bulleit goes for $28 - $30, Knob Creek goes for $33 - $40, Woodford Reserve - $45 (though I didn't buy WR until it went on sale for $39) .

I've bought all of those, and I have to say that Woodford Reserve is absolutely the worst QPR for our local market. IMHO, WR is ALL marketing - nice bottle, "official Kentucky Derby Bourbon, blah blah blah.

I can't believe I paid more than double what WT101 costs here for WR...I think JB Rye at $17.00 or bottom shelf EWblack for $11.00 offers a far better QPR than WR...even if it were half off!

I know we've done this before but with the QPR thread fresh, what do you all think are the worst values in bourbon today. Now mind you I don't say these are bad pours, just that you sure don't get what you pay for. Here's my picks.

Knob Creek - Not bad but WAY overpriced. Too many bars in NY think this is the be all and end all of "Top Shelf Bourbon" ~$40 for 750ml here and and astounding $7.50 a pour at my favorite cigar bar!

For me, Knob Creek is on the Best QPR list. I pay $22.00 for 750ml and I like it a lot more than many $30+ brands such as Woodford Reserve and Old Pogue.

The aforementioned WR is my vote for this category.

For me, Knob Creek is on the Best QPR list. I pay $22.00 for 750ml and I like it a lot more than many $30+ brands such as Woodford Reserve and Old Pogue.

The aforementioned WR is my vote for this category.

My sentiments (and Dallas area prices) exactly.

I'd add Basil Hayden, in open competition for worst QPR.

Regards,

Tim

Interesting discussion. I almost never drink outside of my house so I have no reference regarding bars in this area (SoFla). This last summer I was in Boston on business and the grant I am going to graduate school with bought me some drinks and I can tell you I was more pleased with the plastic bottle of Jim Beam I had back in the hotel. All the fancy drinking liquor and all those fancy prices just had me chuckling. I have plenty of the good stuff at home but paying many many times for the experience of being treated like crap by a bar tender is beyond me. Anyway, my opinion is that anything with a huge marketing campaign is usually overrated to begin with. Between Jack Daniels and Dickel I MUCH prefer Dickel. Between the many and varied Jim Beam products I like Old Grand Dad and Jim Beam while label. Between Woodford Reserve and Old Forester...you guessed it; I like Old Forester. Let me not even start with Heaven Hill products! Don't get me wrong. I am no heathen; I can certainly enjoy fine sipping liquor but in truth for my everyday drinking you will more likely find Old Forester, Dickel, Beam, McKenna or one of the many modestly priced Bourbons in my glass than anything else. That is the simple truth. No don't even get me started on Scotch!:skep:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.