3 Blasts from the past-Seagrams,7,VO,& Canadian Club from KY 1977

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well last night I broke out three Old Tax sealed marked 1977 from Seagrams in KY bottles of Whiskey Blends,7 & VO & CC they were given to me by our Fire safety Guy because he now only Drinks Rum and they sat there in is bar cabinet for many years. So I tried the Bottle of Canadian Club Last night and found it to be a very Nice Blended good Flavor and body and smooth going down. I will soon try the other two soon. I drank some Seagrams 7 back in the old days as it was the big thing then but had never tried CC or VO. He was going to tose them and I said I will gladly take them last Summer and I forgot about them being buried in my Whiskey Bunker.

Seagrams back those days I'm sure made some dam good stuff in KY.

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Their 100 Pipers blended scotch from those days was pretty good, too. I think Benchmark was their bourbon, as well. While they weren't the best at anything (with the possible exception of 7 Crown), they were pretty damned good at everything.

Tim

Don't forget about their Wild Turkey take off...Eagle Rare. Seagrams produced whisky that was superiorly smoother than almost any other whisky I have tasted. I will forever hold them as the Master Blending team. They just knew how to produce a wide variety of whiskies and then would take them a step further than most by centralizing the distillate and mixing them until they shined. My favorite for smoothness is the Seagrams Benchmark....which was named by Al Young of Four Roses.

Don't forget about their Wild Turkey take off...Eagle Rare. Seagrams produced whisky that was superiorly smoother than almost any other whisky I have tasted. I will forever hold them as the Master Blending team. They just knew how to produce a wide variety of whiskies and then would take them a step further than most by centralizing the distillate and mixing them until they shined. My favorite for smoothness is the Seagrams Benchmark....which was named by Al Young of Four Roses.

Very interesting Jeff and that was the way the old CC was so dam smooth you thought it was Dam close to a good Bourbon! In the next week I will crack open the other two the VO first I think I wish I had a bottle of the One you talked about Benchmark! The minute I tasted the Canadian Club my first thought was Dam This is so Dam Smooth! I bet the new CC is nothing like it is?

------------------------------------------

Heres a toss to our Best Canadian Whiskey when I worked for kinsey

" Embassy Club Premium Canadian Whiskey"

Wonder if any of you ever had it?

-----------------------------------------------

Dave Z

Ok, I am a little confused, here. What does Canadian Club have to do with Seagram's. I always thought VO was their Canadian brand and CC was someone else's. :confused: Please enlighten me.

Tim

Ok, I did a little research. I know that CC was originated by Hiram Walker and that it is now handled by Jim Beam (and I don't know if they produce it or just market it). I still do not know whether it was handled by others, such as Seagram's, in the interim.

I'll look further.

Tim

I picked up a handle of 1976 Seagrams VO 80 proof and a handle of 1982 Canadian Club 86 proof that I grabbed for trading.

Sounds like these might be sleepers worth trying.

As Joe friday used to say on Drag Net just give me the facts and I messed up a bit.

1. The The Seagrams 7 was Distilled Blended and bottled in LawerenceBurg Ind 1977 80 proof not tried yet no yrs old marked

2. The Wonderful Canadian Club was done by Hirum Walker & Sons Walkerville Ontario Canada 1977-- Good Stuff! 86.8 Proof 6 years old tastes like Bourbon I am amazed at its flavor

3. The Seagrams VO is 6 yrs old is Distilled aged blended and bottled in Waterloo Ontario Canada 1977 did not try this one yet. 80 proof

I am sorry I need to read first but it tasted so Dam Good Last night I was thinking all 3 were Seagrams when only two were! I will do notes on these vintage Bottles and if the other two are half as good as the CC I will be very pleased!

I feel much better now and will look closer from now on comes from knowing alot about Continental and not much about other Distillers!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------

Philadelphia Blended Whiskey The Heritage Whiskey

--------------------------------------------

Although I have not opened it yet, I have a Half Gallon of Seagram's VO from my dad. It's a 1969 bottle 86.8 proof it also states the whisky is six years old.

I have all 3 of these bottles from the year of my birth (1965). I have also had others in the past such as Crown Royal, Old Grand Dad etc. When I got married in 1989, we had a one gallon bottle of Canadian Club dated 1965 at the reception!

Thomas

Last Night I cracked open the VO and the Seagrams 7 and here is how I rate them 1 thru 3.

1.Canandian Club Best of the three for sure

2. The Vo Is Dam good stuff too

3. The Seagrams 7 very nice drink but the CC blows them both away!

It is smoother and very Bourbon like.

Dave Z

Very interesting Jeff and that was the way the old CC was so dam smooth you thought it was Dam close to a good Bourbon! In the next week I will crack open the other two the VO first I think I wish I had a bottle of the One you talked about Benchmark! The minute I tasted the Canadian Club my first thought was Dam This is so Dam Smooth! I bet the new CC is nothing like it is?

I wonder how the "new" Beam CC compares to the older version? I've tried 3 of the current versions of CC(80 PF,100 PF and Classic 12 yr) and enjoyed each.....especially the 100pf.Beam owns the label now,but isn't this still being distilled at the Walkerville Distillery?

Here's a little extra history on CC whisky.The whisky shipment involved in the famous St. Valentines Day Massacre was supposedly Canadian Club.

Here's a little extra history on CC whisky.The whisky shipment involved in the famous St. Valentines Day Massacre was supposedly Canadian Club.

Here's a little more.

There was a lot of fake, bad "Canadian Club" in Chicago during Prohibition. The real CC was brought in by a man named Bill McCoy. So, customers demanded "the Real McCoy", bringing that still-used phrase into the language.

Canadian Club pioneered the flask-shaped bottle with a stubby neck to reduce breakage in the dangerous, illegal shipments. These bottles were also easy to hide in one's boottops. This was the origination of the term "bootleg" whiskey.

Tim

Well Thanks for that info Tim it is amazing how all these old sayings have reasons so many years ago and I never knew of either of those! I never had the New Beam version but would be willing to bet the Old stuff blows its doors off!

I just have a thing for the vintage stuff I guess!

Dave

It seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

America's Most magnificent Bourbon

---------------------------------------------------

I never had the New Beam version but would be willing to bet the Old stuff blows its doors off!

I just have a thing for the vintage stuff I guess!

Dave

I am of the opinion that since it is still made in the same Hiram Walker distillery by the same people, it is most likely very close to being the same whiskey.

Tim

Tim Thanks for that info I will have to get and try a bottle of the New Canadian Club to test it agaist the Old stuff! Hopefully it is bottled in Glass as I hate this new Plastic Whiskey Bottle stuff some are doing. I want my Whiskey in Glass I still think that the Plastic can break down and get in the product just my opinion!

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------

Inver House Scotch Soft As A Kiss

I disagree with the comments on "new plastic". The plastic made early in the industry was far below the quality of the newer plastics. I find many bottles from the late 80;s that are appearing to break down.

The newer plastic is very durrable and I don't believe it has the potential to degrade like the older versions. Plastics have come along way since the late 80's. There is UV protection in the plastics today...that were not available in the 80's. Which will allow them to handle alot more damage from light.

Tim Thanks for that info I will have to get and try a bottle of the New Canadian Club to test it agaist the Old stuff! Hopefully it is bottled in Glass as I hate this new Plastic Whiskey Bottle stuff some are doing. I want my Whiskey in Glass I still think that the Plastic can break down and get in the product just my opinion!

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------

Inver House Scotch Soft As A Kiss

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.